mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Taking bikes to NZ in January - any advice?

Guys, Girls
    My Wife, Son and I are heading back home [been in Oz for 20+ years] to NZ for 3 weeks in January.
    We are taking both my sons and my MTB's via Air NZ out of Cairns and back home with Qantas via Wellington.
    I have called both airlines to get excess baggage details [Air NZ $40.00 per bike to ChCh, Qantas no charge as long as we dont exceed the 23kg per person allowance].

Any body have any advice or experiences to relate with getting bikes through customs, problems with the airlines, excess freight, packing tips etc.
    This will be $9k worth of bikes so I cant afford any hassles if at all possible.
    Both bikes are insured via our home and contents for any location in Oz or NZ so that issue is sorted
    Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    I do the trip regularly with a bike from Melbourne to NZ. Only major hassle is make sure your bike is pristine clean. Customs will want to look at your tyres, pedals and shoes to check all is clean, so pack them where they will be easy to find. If anything's got dirt on it, expect to hang around for a while as they go and spray chemicals on the offending parts to ensure nothing is alive. The same goes coming back into Oz.

Have a great trip

p.s. not sure what you're packing the bikes in...I normally get a couple of bike cartons from the LBS, cut up one of the cartons and add it into the other carton as a "double skin" to add strength. I take off wheels, pedals & seatpost, undo stem and rear derailleur (cables still attached) and bubble wrap fork stantions. I normally put something under the chainstays (shoes etc) to lift them so that chainring does not dig into the bottom of the box.

I had the unfortunate pleasure of having a $7k bike totally destroyed by baggage handlers flying trans tasman once - the airline paid out $200, the home insurance paid out the rest, so make sure your insurance is rock solid.