mtbr member
    Oct 2005

New question here. Sydney, what a pretty city, but why so few bikes around...!?

We are spending a few days here in such a wonderful town, but wonder why is so few bikes around, just looks to me like the perfect place to ride/commute a bike around the city (I wish I have one at least)

Again congratulations if you live her, what a awesome place..

Rubber Side Usually Down
    Quote Originally Posted by patineto View Post
    We are spending a few days here in such a wonderful town, but wonder why is so few bikes around, just looks to me like the perfect place to ride/commute a bike around the city (I wish I have one at least)
    Where are you staying? There should be plenty of commuters in the morning.
    Maybe it was too cold and they are all soft

You should see plenty over the Pyrmont Bridge at Darling Harbour - right about here.
    http://cyclingresourcecentre.org.au/...ont_Bridge.jpg

You can hire one if you are really keen
    Bike Hire in Sydney - Sydney Cycleways

When do you head home? There is plenty of MTB'ing here outside of the city too.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    'Geez, I wish I had a witty signature'

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Crudley View Post
    Where are you staying? There should be plenty of commuters in the morning.
    Maybe it was too cold and they are all soft

You should see plenty over the Pyrmont Bridge at Darling Harbour - right about here.
    http://cyclingresourcecentre.org.au/...ont_Bridge.jpg
    We are really close to the convention center, about 5 blocks to be exact..

You can hire one if you are really keen
    Bike Hire in Sydney - Sydney Cycleways

When do you head home? There is plenty of MTB'ing here outside of the city too.
    We have our little baby with us, so biking is kind of impossible, but so far we are enjoying this super cosmopolitan city to the max, very impress in fact..

We leave for Cairns for a week on Friday, to experience some of the warm weather, yes I know super touristy..

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Also why so few dogs...!?

So far I see one domestic dog at the park and two working dogs at the airport (drug/food sniffers)

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    turn to your right in that picture, stand on top of that bridge during peak hours. Lots of commuters, more in summer of course.
    not real cycling but you could head out to centennial park and hire one of the 4 wheel cycles. Got a nice bench seat for he kids on the front, our kids love it.
    it's also a pretty hilly city, with haphazard layout

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by tubby74 View Post
    turn to your right in that picture, stand on top of that bridge during peak hours. Lots of commuters, more in summer of course.
    not real cycling but you could head out to centennial park and hire one of the 4 wheel cycles. Got a nice bench seat for he kids on the front, our kids love it.
    it's also a pretty hilly city, with haphazard layout

Yeah we saw a bunch today (and dogs too), now this city is officially Perfect, what a great town..

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Guys, would be dropping by next week. Where's some good MTB shops i can find in Sydney? Considering I will be lost around there... preferable near town?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ussr View Post
    Guys, would be dropping by next week. Where's some good MTB shops i can find in Sydney? Considering I will be lost around there... preferable near town?
    You can head down to City Bike Depot which is in Kent St near the corner of Margaret St I think. Otherwise in Clarence Street you will find a Giant shop near Town Hall, Clarence St Cycles about halfway down and Jet Cycles (Specialized dealer) about a block and a half past CSC.

Moving out of the city I highly recommend Velosophy at Moore Park in the entertainment quarter.

To the op - there are plenty of bike riders in Sydney but it is a city with a massive urban sprawl compared to places like NYC. I would compare the sprawl to the DFW metroplex and even then Sydney is probably spread over a bigger footprint. It means people are riding all over the place. The other issue is that Sydney motorists are amongst the most bike unfriendly in the world (I post this as a former cop and former bike messenger so I know my stuff here). There is precious little bike infrastructure and it is too bloody wet and cold (and therefore dangerous) at the moment to venture out.

Anyway enjoy Cairns. Don't forget to speak s-l-o-w-l-y and set your watch back 54 years...

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kojarena View Post
    To the op - there are plenty of bike riders in Sydney but it is a city with a massive urban sprawl compared to places like NYC. I would compare the sprawl to the DFW metroplex and even then Sydney is probably spread over a bigger footprint. It means people are riding all over the place. The other issue is that Sydney motorists are amongst the most bike unfriendly in the world (I post this as a former cop and former bike messenger so I know my stuff here). There is precious little bike infrastructure and it is too bloody wet and cold (and therefore dangerous) at the moment to venture out.
    +1 what he said. drivers of vehicles in sydney seem to drive like they were killed by a group of cyclists in a past life. whenever an article about some cyclist-motorist altercation comes up in the press, the attitude of many all comes out, which explains much of the behaviour that i have observed. the basic attitude is "cyclists shouldn't be on the road", then the usual stuff about not paying registration/licensing etc. you might see the token "THE ROAD IS THERE TO SHARE" signs around the place, as the govt is aware that a lot of people do not agree with that idea.

as for infrastructure, the lack of planning in a relatively old city (for australia), with narrow streets etc, means that there is very little space to separate cyclists from the mad drivers. they have put a heap of cycle lanes in around the place recently, but you will find that many of them don't join up, forcing cyclists to spend part of their ride amongst the angry mob. as a result, the only cyclists you will see in sydney are those that are lucky enough to have a good cycleway setup for their commute, or cyclists that are confident/experienced/brave.

Rubber Side Usually Down
    Quote Originally Posted by patineto View Post
    We are really close to the convention center, about 5 blocks to be exact..
    My work is about a 10 minute walk from there. You must have noticed the 24hr Pyrmont Bridge Hotel right in front of you when you took that photo.

We have our little baby with us, so biking is kind of impossible, but so far we are enjoying this super cosmopolitan city to the max, very impress in fact.
    Hope you all enjoyed yourselves. Drop me a line if you return. Maybe you can slip out for a ride
    ----------------------------------------------------
    'Geez, I wish I had a witty signature'

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Have to agree with above. Sydney drivers are utterly appalling and its not reserved for just cyclists.

Having travelled the globe pretty extensively, I'm confident that Sydney drivers are up there with the world's most selfish, inconsiderate and oblivious in the world.

As a reference, Ive lived here for 15 years

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by sclyde2 View Post
    +1 what he said. drivers of vehicles in sydney seem to drive like they were killed by a group of cyclists in a past life. whenever an article about some cyclist-motorist altercation comes up in the press, the attitude of many all comes out, which explains much of the behaviour that i have observed. the basic attitude is "cyclists shouldn't be on the road", then the usual stuff about not paying registration/licensing etc. you might see the token "THE ROAD IS THERE TO SHARE" signs around the place, as the govt is aware that a lot of people do not agree with that idea.

as for infrastructure, the lack of planning in a relatively old city (for australia), with narrow streets etc, means that there is very little space to separate cyclists from the mad drivers. they have put a heap of cycle lanes in around the place recently, but you will find that many of them don't join up, forcing cyclists to spend part of their ride amongst the angry mob. as a result, the only cyclists you will see in sydney are those that are lucky enough to have a good cycleway setup for their commute, or cyclists that are confident/experienced/brave.
    Quote Originally Posted by my02 View Post
    Have to agree with above. Sydney drivers are utterly appalling and its not reserved for just cyclists.

Having travelled the globe pretty extensively, I'm confident that Sydney drivers are up there with the world's most selfish, inconsiderate and oblivious in the world.

As a reference, Ive lived here for 15 years
    So sad, Actually I was really impress with how well the traffic flow in Sydney (street's the freeways are mess) but I did not know Bicycles where not respect it..

My self I grow up in Sur America and I learn how to do "sideways bunnyhoop" out of pure necessity since killing bicyclist (skateboarder's, skaters) was kind of a national sport..