Page 1 of 27 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: St Andrews

Hud
    Singletrack minded

St Andrews

Well it was cold and foggy, we heard later it didn't get to 10 degrees!
    Mitchell and I arrived at the general store at 11.30. The ride took 3.5 hours but this included multiple stops for teething problems with the new bike, photos, and some back tracking when we got a bit lost. We both weren't feeling great either so the ride should've been around three hours. Lots of singletrack, the odd fire road, back country gravel roads and some tar. Lots of climbs and descents. Good views normally but damp and dripping today. Quite fun riding in the foggy stillness. Got back to the general store and had a well-deserved tall cappacino and gourmet pie in front of an open fire, nice!
    Store owner is a MTB'er and he sat with us for 15 mins talking MTB. It turns out St Andrews is becoming bit of a hot spot for mtb, the guy is doing some grassroots work with the council re mtb access.
    Looking forward to next saturday if the weather is ok and everything works out.
    St Andrews is between the yarra valley and Eltham, mostly east and a bit north of the city. The ride is suited to hardtails and short travel dualies, ideally.
    Attached Images Attached Images

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    Nice photos mate I'll be there next saturday... looks like some sweet trails.

And i see you took the new ride out for it's maiden voyage- very sweet!

Paul.

Hud
    Singletrack minded

A few more pics

Well, I interupted the flow of our ride to take these, so i might as well post 'em up.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Is that near Diamond Creek? Looks great! Can you get there by train?

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    You could take the train to Hurstbridge. From there it looks about 10km of road riding to get to the start point. Could be some fair sized hills on Cherry Tree Road too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hud
    You could take the train to Hurstbridge. From there it looks about 10km of road riding to get to the start point. Could be some fair sized hills on Cherry Tree Road too.
    I ride in that area a fair bit on the roady, and I can assure you there is no shortage of hills .

Edit: Just checked the map and while I haven't ridden any part of most direct hurstbridge-St Andrews route, I have ridden it via a different route, and it's downhill most of the way (steep for a few K, gradual after that). You're going to be in for a ***** climb somewhere on the way in, but on the plus side getting back to Hurstbridge afterwards will be easy.
    www.yourtrails.net/weights/ - Kick ass weights listing
    racing.thylacinecycles.com - Racing silliness

mtbr member
    I rode in there on Sunday Morning. The Ridge Rd singletrack rocked.
    If you were to go direct from Hurstbrige to ST Andrews and then climb up to Smiths Gully that would be relatively easy with no big climbs.
    Alternatively start the ride from St Andrews.
    I'm in Diamond Creek and am planning to do it from home one day
    Station st D/C over the Gipson st bridge
    Up Broadgully rd Cross over to singletrack at HT lines3/4 of the way up the hill
    Climb up Wilsons rd hit singletrack on right side at top
    Back down to Main rd head back toward D/C up WattleGlen Rd, Valley rd- hard climbe turn onto Thorns rd and onto Watery Gully rd.
    Hit the main rd at the top and head out through Panton hill to Smiths Gully do ride ride back same way except this time follow singletrack on Watery Gully/ Flat Rock Rd into Hurstbridge back along the main Rd to D/C.
    I estimate about 65Km and 5 hrs later

mtbr member
    Cheers for the directions. Might have to check it out some time!

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Feel free to come along on saturday Woody, if you can make it. Time hasn't been organised yet, somewhere between 9-10am?

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    Feel free to come along on saturday Woody, if you can make it. Time hasn't been organised yet, somewhere between 9-10am?
    I'm in warragul- and i'm not getting up for 6 or 7 am this weekend! (its been a huge week).

How long does it take from here... what do you reckon?

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    haha, fair enough. I'd say it'd take a couple of hours, give or take. It won't be critical if you're 20mins late. The earlier the better as there will be less walkers, not that you see many. Check that route I described, it should be 100km/h travel most of the way. What time do you want to arrive?

My mobile is 0427 100 469

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    hmmmm.. just found out that friends are coming to town and saturday morning/ early arvo is now out Sorry for piking... have a good one *shakes fist at sky*

Maybe i'll see you all at chase the sun

P.

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Another time. Anyway, it'll allow me to do a bit more exploring that I wanted to do.
    If anyone else wants to come let me know. Time is flexible.

Cheers
    Hud

mtbr member
    Hud,
    I would be interested for Sunday morning. I wouldn't be available till after 2 on Saturday

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Sorry, it's been organised again for 10am saturday. Leaving it til 2pm means you'd be pushing it to get back before dark and all the pies would be gone.

mtbr member
    cheers
    maybe next time
    have a good ride

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Nice new bike Hud! Pity I couldn't make it, let me know next time you're planning on going

D.C

May contain nuts
    Well it was cold and foggy, we heard later it didn't get to 10 degrees!
    How's about -8degC at noon today? (in NZ)

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggis
    How's about -8degC at noon today? (in NZ)

wow! Nice picture..... My wife and I are moving to Christchurch next year... we can't wait

*jealous!*

Where are you based? South Island?

P.

May contain nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by ilostmypassword
    wow! Nice picture..... My wife and I are moving to Christchurch next year... we can't wait

*jealous!*

Where are you based? South Island?

P.
    Dunedin, S.I. Fairly rare heavy snow fall, all rained off now, but fun while it lasted.

Christchurch has some tasty track: Port Hills, Craigeburn, Wharfdale. You'll like it.

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggis
    Dunedin, S.I. Fairly rare heavy snow fall, all rained off now, but fun while it lasted.

Christchurch has some tasty track: Port Hills, Craigeburn, Wharfdale. You'll like it.
    Sweet We have visited CC a few times this year and spent sometime at Mt Hutt/ Southern Alps too. It's just mind blowing how good the outdoor activities are- we know we won't be disappointed when we shift

P.

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    I decided to explore a bit today. Found some more great tracks. Most of the ride was on shale, gravel, and hardpacked clay. The only ride I've really enjoyed lately in the wet conditions.

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    I must have missed this thread somewhere along the way. It looks like a nice area, it reminds me of a couple of local Tassie rides in terms of trail and terrain.

Nothing like a good explore, uncovering new gems and riding somewhere new!

Dave.

mtbr member
    Sorry for not replying earlier Hud. Havnt been on in a while. Thanks for the offer though!

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    Quote Originally Posted by Low_Rider
    I must have missed this thread somewhere along the way. It looks like a nice area, it reminds me of a couple of local Tassie rides in terms of trail and terrain.

Nothing like a good explore, uncovering new gems and riding somewhere new!

Dave.
    Same- I don't get in here much these days. Maybe email me HUD with some dates- I'll see what I can sort out- hanging out for some dry trails to get some KM's up!

Page 1 of 27 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast