Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: St Andrews

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I would like to head out but can't this Saturday. Next Sat should be ok for me.

Re ideas for an extra 10 km for the reverse loop - sorry I missed the bit that heads out towards Panton Hill, my bad. Tree over the track there is gone now.

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Quote Originally Posted by cowpat
    I

Re ideas for an extra 10 km for the reverse loop - sorry I missed the bit that heads out towards Panton Hill, my bad. Tree over the track there is gone now.
    Sorry but I don't understand what you mean. Maybe a 15 hr working day does that to you...
    Are you talking about the loop that starts near the antique store? I don't think we ever took you on that.

I'll be doing a 'late start' heading out there around 10am or so.
    Enjoy your weekend all.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I made the mistake of heading straight up Broad Acres at the five way junction; I missed the bit that heads over the bridge up Long Gully and up and then goes across to Bakehouse and then down south, around and back up to five ways again. I now see there are at least two ways to get back, long and short, and there are other tracks to explore in the area too although they probably all meet up. Now you have me interested about a loop near the antique store. Something new to check out.

Have fun out there tomorrow.

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    There is one we call the 'mineshaft' descent which is good but cuts off a lot of the normal loop. It comes out on Long Gully near where the Long gully ST ends. There is another track that comes down and joins 'mineshaft' at the end though it's not worth doing. This one is just a steep and short section has steel stakes hammered in each side of it. IMO if you reach this -turn around and do something else.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Hey Hud,

Any idea how long we will be out there for?

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    It was like old times, just Mitchell and I today. mys Trix pulled out which was a shame because I was keen to see his new bike. It was bucketing in the Yarra Valley as I drove out, but once I was over the Christmas Hills blue sky appeared and there was no rain for the duration of the ride. Plenty of moisture hitting us from underneath though.
    As it was just the two of us we did a shortened version of the reverse loop, and then did some poking around near Sugarloaf that I'd been wanting to do for a while. We did Mitchells Trail in both directions - the off camber stuff near the dams was very tricky in the wet. A coffee in front of the open fire was a real treat at the end of the ride.

I like to ride my bicycle
    What's Mitchell's Trail like to ride?

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Great! - In both directions. Ross really likes it too.

Ok, so what did you find in your "poking around"? Potential to extend Mitchell's Trail further?

fan of maple syrup
    ....and most importantly, did you find a better way around the wasp nest?

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    The wasp nest was detoured around some time ago, though they seem to be gone anyway. (Flooded out?)
    The next area to be developed will be east of the Hermits Hut (Occupied). We should be able to have some fast middle ring ST across more open and grassy terrrain looping across some dam banks etc.

fan of maple syrup
    So you gonna herd us cats together for a ride this weekend or what Hud?

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Sounds good, unless it's raining cats and dogs.
    So - Classic, Reverse or Yarra Ridge? Maybe we should ask Waldog, since he's very in.
    Let's make it a big one, Pagey and Piker have been making noises for a while.
    Say a 9:30 start at this point.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    How about the Classic Ride? See you Saturday.

Scott is a tool.
    yeah sure let's do the classic..... buggered if i know the difference between them. on thing for sure though, we need to get as many as we can out there!!!! get into it guys!!

Wal.

fan of maple syrup
    What about that one we did a while ago:
    Back of store, Boomers to 5 ways, climb to Motchalls then down, left and through to EYG, Up to top of Ridge via sneaky tracks, down Ridge, along Alma, LG, then easy way home?

Scott is a tool.
    Quote Originally Posted by nuclear_powered
    What about that one we did a while ago:
    Back of store, Boomers to 5 ways, climb to Motchalls then down, left and through to EYG, Up to top of Ridge via sneaky tracks, down Ridge, along Alma, LG, then easy way home?
    I like the sound of that, especially the last three words.

Wal.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Can we add Bunjil to that, maybe shortcut down mineshaft if it's looking a bit wet?

(Actually I have no idea what the Classic Ride is, I was hoping to find out by doing it...)
    Last edited by cowpat; 06-25-2008 at 06:52 PM.

fan of maple syrup
    Classic is down to St A Markets, through reserve alongside creek and across, along Smiths Gully Rd to One Tree Hill Road, down One Tree Hill, stupid climb to top of Rob Roy, down to EYG road near climb to Ridge Rd. The rest is variable but usually includes Bunjil.

I don't like this one for the climbs. By default, I'd say neither does Waldog.

Scott is a tool.
    Classic is down to St A Markets, through reserve alongside creek and across, along Smiths Gully Rd to One Tree Hill Road, down One Tree Hill, stupid climb to top of Rob Roy, down to EYG road near climb to Ridge Rd. The rest is variable but usually includes Bunjil.

I don't like this one for the climbs. By default, I'd say neither does Waldog.
    Yeah, what he said.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks N_P. It sounds like a variant of the ORCA SGS ride.

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Can't make it after all. Not a happy camper. Hoping to head out tomorrow arvo for my fix.

Scott is a tool.
    We no longer have our esteemed leader, so is it still on?

Cough, cough....you yangs?

fan of maple syrup
    I might still head out there.

(I know my way around, however there is much less esteem)
    Last edited by nuclear_powered; 06-26-2008 at 07:07 PM.

Scott is a tool.
    I might still head out there.

(I know my way around, however there much less esteem)
    I'm up for that. time?

fan of maple syrup
    Just waiting to hear from some others, but 9.00 is good for me.

Cowpat - keen? May not include your level of stamina though.

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Will be heading out for a brief ride after all. Probalby will start riding around 7:00-7:30 and must head for home by 10am. Hopefully will bump into you guys at some point.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Whoah! 7:00 am, that's even a bit early for me, wintertime anyways. Maybe we'll see you sitting in front of the warm fire at the store.

I'll join N_P for the second wave at 9:00, unless N_P decides to make an early start too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Hey....

Hey, ...........if only it was a Sunday gathering, Id dust off the trance and join you guys. Although youve all been doing some serious km's over the last few weeks. I might struggle a bit if your planning an epic.

Thinking of a you yangs ride soon, Waldog let me know next time youre heading out there and i'll try and join you.

Cheers

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    No I'll be doing a quick solo loop, NP should stick with the others.

Scott is a tool.
    Will be sure to let you know wombat!!!

I'll be there at 9.00 tomorrow.

fan of maple syrup
    Quote Originally Posted by Hud
    No I'll be doing a quick solo loop, NP should stick with the others.
    I'm smiling at the inference: Hud doing a 'quick' loop - hence I should not join him

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Nonono - I mean I won't be out there for long enough for it to be worthwhile....
    Yes, that was badly worded sorry.
    Actually I now have decided I will just go on a quick jaunt up to Silvan to check out some trails. I came to the conclusion that trying to ride St A. tomorrow was flogging a dying horse. I'm depressed, so I'll want a good ride report about it tomorrow.
    Enjoy your day.

Scott is a tool.

Was nice...

fan of maple syrup
    Agree - a very enjoyable ride today. Riders were Waldog, Cowpat, Daz & myself. Did the same ride we did a while ago: Back of shop, Boomers to 5-ways, BroadAcres climb, Motchalls descent, Gills Rd to EYG (no sign of Albino Roo), Hud/Mitchells track up to top of Ridge Rd, Alma, LG Rd, Blue House back to shop. Ran into someone Cowpat knew coming down Hud/Mitchells trail (though not sure he rode the whole lot), on a GF 29er - nice looking rig with American Classic rims. Ever seen anyone else there Hud?

Tracks in extremely good, sticky condition. Nice & damp without being too slippery. Few bogs on trail to 5-ways. But yeah, an awesome 3 hour ride.

Boecastle Moroccan Lamb pie at the Gen Store is the shiznit.

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    I had the lamb pie last time I was there - very nice.
    Never seen anyone else on the new trails - but Ross has told a few of his mates about it, could've been one of them. Did you notice up the top just before you come out on the road - an extension has been marked in to give another 100m or so of trail.
    Boomers Bogs always seem to remain there for a while. It goes without saying that you rode straight through them and not around them causing track widening??
    Last edited by Hud; 06-29-2008 at 05:19 AM.

fan of maple syrup
    Straight through .... slowly.

EDIT: Sorry - forgot to asnwer question - can't remember the last (first) time I rode the new track too well (fatigue) so I can't say I noticed anything different up the top. All I do know is that I prefer that muchos more than the old way to the top.
    Last edited by nuclear_powered; 06-29-2008 at 05:47 AM.

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    I'm thinking after a week of rain it'll be appropriate to hit up the (tweaked by Cowpat - less climbing) Yarra Ridge loop this saturday...

mtbr member
    could be good...

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    The Yarra Ridge loop including Watsons was dry today, although I did not ride the loamy singletrack by the road near Skyline (rode the loop backwards, more climbing that way ). Some new track out there too, someone's been constructing stuff (little dropoff ramp).

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I'm most keen for the fabled Yarra ridge loop, haven't had the pleasure yet, and I have a signed leave pass. What's the plan for departure?? General store at 9am??

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    I think after the rain we are about to get tonight, Yarra Ridge will be the go. P_Duck, that is the one we did last time.
    The last few times we have been meeting at 9.30, being winter and all and it works well.
    Suppose I'll confirm tomorrow night.

Hey all,
    a week or so ago I pulled into a excavation site in Dandenong to do a delivery and who ambles out of the portable office to direct me, but J_775, now what are the odds of that?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I'm in too. Singlespeed? Or wussy geared bike?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Wussy geared bike for me as I am soft and unfit. Hey Hud, those odds are pretty long hey.. I'm just about over that work site, never been on a job for so long with so little to show for it, so was good to break it up with a familiar face.. Catch you Satdee.

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    I don't like riding by myself so I will be bringing the Superlight.
    Looks likely that Ross from the shop will be coming as well.
    The twenty-nine inch wheel.

I'll be there on the new rig, all being well. I need a bit more fitness before I try the singlespeed again! I did enjoy it though, in spite of being close to throwing in the towel at the top of the first big hill.

J_775. I have a signed leave pass too. Did your wife sign yours? Looks like a pattern here: signed leave passes, soft and unfit, and a wife.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Hey all,

I plan on being there tomorrow, hopefully on my Yeti.
    So it was 9.30?

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Yes.

St Andrews was cold. Great day though.

New bike was great too. Everything I hoped for: climbs like a hardtail, but smooths out the ruff stuff. Lefty is great, very stiff.

John

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Freezing cold today like H_bro said. Not so bad in the trees. but the ridges were windy and bitterly cold. Got some pics,
    but the camera was playing up in the cold, so no action shots. Camera was fine when I got home though.
    Great ride, and we were honoured to have the great man Ross ride with us (shop owner) Riders present were J_775 on his bi-monthly ride and his mate Stuart, Myself, Hud's Brother, Mystrix and Cowpat. H_bro and mystrix on their new rides
    The logs were pretty slippery but the trails were in good condition despite all the rain in the last week. At one point between Yarra Ridge and Bundy track we came across a family of deer, with both parties quite startled. A dad, mum and a half grown little one. At one point I was riding with a bit of pace about 10m away from the female. They are very quick, sort of jumping forward explosively.
    Much fun had on Errol's techy xc trails, I'm really starting to like them. Found some new trails that had been cut in with Cowpat showing us how to do a 4 foot drop off a ramp. More exploring to be done there.
    I was struggling all day and was ready to collapse by the time I got back, not sure what I did wrong today.
    Had a huge feed in front of the open fire at the shop, and yarned with Ross for a couple of hours about bikes and trails.

Good times

Pics are:
    Pre ride yarn and bike fettling.
    Aptly named Everhard track rest stop & surrounding scenery, including the two new rides.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast