Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

Thread: St Andrews

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Correction its 264e3!!
    Whoops I hope everyone sees this

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Awesome ride today, with ten riders fronting up. 7 4inch duallies and 3 steel hardtails. MTBR members were Hud, Hud's Brother Cowleyd, Nuclear_Powered, Waldog and Sicwombat. Headed off around 9am I think, for 4hrs and 35km. Warm to hot later in the morning. Some of the little used trails got cleaned up a bit by 20 tyres which is good. One puncture, in the middle of the 5km downhill of course!
    No offs though one of NP's mates had a habit of falling sideways clipped in...

LOL at the thought of ten men heading into the Sugarloaf Dam toilets together to refill the bladders...

Looking forward to seeing NP's and Sicwombat's pics.

Scott is a tool.
    Bloody awesome morning. Toilets were the highlight for sure!!!

Thanks again.

mtbr member
    I'm going to have to ride these trails some time. Sounds like great fun :-).
    www.yourtrails.net/weights/ - Kick ass weights listing
    racing.thylacinecycles.com - Racing silliness

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

St Andrews

Hey guys, had a great ride this morning. Probably the most physically challenging ride I've ever had. Some of those climbs were nasty. Did clear most of them, although that last climb just before we got back to the store beat me. Had to walk some of that one. Great descents also, a bit sketchy in some parts, but that living on the edge thing really feels good.

Had to rush off afterwards, had the wife on the phone hasselling me about getting my 5 yr old daughter to a birthday party by 2pm. Got her there half an hour late, she'll get over it.

Hope nobody get struck down with some bug from the 'do not drink' tap in the toilets.

Anyway here is a couple of photos, nothing to exciting, no action.

Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images

I like to ride my bicycle
    Another tough ride at St Andrews. Hadn't ridden for 8 weeks which didn't help. It's always tough there, lots of up as well as down. I've been there quite a few times with Hud, every time it's different and every time I ride something new. Hud is good at getting a good loop in a given area. He spends a lot of time looking at the Melways and his topo maps and even driving around by car to see what is there. Thanks, Huddy. The owner of the St Andrews store has done a lot of trail work in the area too.

Wished I had a duallie though. Some of the trails are rough 'n' rocky.

There was a mention of what we are going to do "next time." Looking forward to it. Watch this space.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    So I hear the call for lurkers, I’m in...Now I just need to know how to get there or find out where St Andrews is? . I also have a mate or 2 who definitely be keen.

Cheers,

btw being a lurker and all I guess I should introduce myself; I'm Lucas, I normally ride lysty and mt dandenong on a blue raceline frame, so if u happen to spot me feel free to say hi.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Doin it backwards..

Thanks for clearing the trails yesterday Hud and co . Had perfect riding temps today which was lucky as it turned into a mini-epic. Rode from Preston to Yarra trails at Heidelberg, out to Westorfolds, then on a mix of road and firetrails out through Eltham, Diamond Ck to Hurstbridge, up, up, up Flat Rock Rd single track, then more road climbing to Boomers reserve. Basically did Hud's ride backwards from there, making sure I did Broadacres and Ridge Rds the fun way. Ride up Rob Roy and One Tree Hill isn't too bad, not as fun obviouslyr. Back up over Smith's Gully and Panton hill, then retraced my steps home. 5.5 hours door-to-door. Time to sleep now.

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Man, I class that as a medium epic at least!! How many kays?

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    *Waits for Nuclear_Powered to post up his pics...*

Scott is a tool.
    Yeah, what he said.

fan of maple syrup
    Quote Originally Posted by Hud
    *Waits for Nuclear_Powered to post up his pics...
    Careful skinny-boy .... nuclear_powered doesn't like getting pushed

Sorry for the delay though ... been a busy few arvos. The pics aren't great. I will link them to the full-size ones sometime in the next few days. For those of you I don't know, please PM me with your MTBR username along with the number in the photo below, and I'll add your username to the photo.

Edit: I'm pretty sure I got everyone (other than my own fat arse), though I apologise If I missed anyone. Also, I can send the vids I took of that gully crossing to anyone who wants them ... maybe it was the angle, but it kinda looks like we're cheering people who managed to ride through a pretty average gully - makes us look kinda lame....

Fallen tree causes train to stop

Rest at top of first (decent) climb

Hud going fast

MTBR1 going fast (otherwise known as 'man with large holes in ears')

Hud's Brother going fast

Simmo going fast (one of my non-MTBR friends)

sicwombat and Jas going fast (Jas - another non-MTBR friend)

Bunch of sweaty guys find a toilet and all go in at the same time ...

Hud, Jas and MTBR1 at top of (infamous) Ridge Rd single track

Jas gets a little air

Hud gets a little air

MTBR1 got air, but I was too slow...

Same with Hud's brother

Kristian opted out of air (non-MTBR friend)

sicwombat got some decent air

Simmo got the most air ... he was on his way down here

Hud descends into creek gully before Boomers

MTBR3

Simmo

Kristian

sicwombat

MTBR4

On the way back to base
    Last edited by nuclear_powered; 01-17-2008 at 01:55 PM.

I like to ride my bicycle
    Thanks for the pics Nuke.

fan of maple syrup
    Hud and I are heading out for a reverse loop 0930 tomorrow (Saturday 14th). Start time could be moved to 1000 potentially, but at this stage we're aiming for 0930. Forecast temp 30 deg C so it hopefully won't be too bad considering a cool change is coming through tonight.

PM me or Hud for any deets - otherwise seeya at the Smiths Gully Gen Store.

fan of maple syrup
    Anyone keen for a spin out here Sat morning? Hud - you back yet? sicwombat? Anyone?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Busy weekend

Sorry guys, working this saturday and busy Sunday. No ride for me.

Cheers

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    9 oclock at the general store folks.

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Nuclear, you know where we pointed out the track they we intended developing, Mitchell has spent 11 hours out there to date!
    He is nuts, but in a good way, he says the track is 90% done but there is potential for much more.

fan of maple syrup
    You're kidding!!! What a machine. Does he not have a social life or job or something?? Though I know the latter isn't the case otherwise he wouldn't be able to afford all the XTR bling...

So I guess we're going to have to check that out this weekend then. I'll have to get the hardtail sorted. Sunday work for you?

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    He's had a couple of days off, what a great way to spend them!
    It's a bit disjointed at the moment from what he was saying and a few bits need to be pushed. Also at one point the obvious route is not the right way and the right way is hard to find, if that makes sense. Have a look if you want, I'm doing a 6hr this sat.
    I'd like to see you on a hardtail

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Hey lads, shoot me a pm or post up here next time you're heading out to St.A's. Keen to see some of Mitch's new trails. Need to get out there again, my fitness has died in the ass.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Hi, if you don't mind a stranger in your midst I'll second that. Rode some more of that singletrack out there today and it is excellent.

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Spoke to Mitch yesty, he's been out there again and says the track is now 'sweet'. Hoping to head out this sat. Will be checking out some trails closer to the Yarra Valley ridge, so there may be some backtracking if things don't pan out as expected.

fan of maple syrup
    I'll be in for that. I'm pretty sure I've got the whole day free. Would we drive between the two locations - given the ridge (if I'm correct in assuming it's where the E-YG road goes down into YG) is pretty far away and mostly tarmac to ride?

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    No, we'd do the start of the 'classic' ride to the high point of Rifle Range and then venture east from there. We'd return to normality near the bottom of Rob Roy. I'm going to try to suss the area out one arvo this week, just to make sure it's doable. There will be a couple of road bits, including a very ugly, dusty, steep and corrugated gravel road climb.

Edit: Yeah Cowpat, keep an eye on this thread re. start time etc. Others welcome.
    Last edited by Hud; 04-14-2008 at 07:59 PM.

Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast