Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: St Andrews

mtbr member
    There is one at 8:30 Sunday but I think Hud was talkimg about going out tomorrow.
    The trails out there stand up to rain very well

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Cowpat and I are meeting there at 8ish today, though mmatrix has cancelled.
    The twenty-nine inch wheel.

mtbr member
    Great ride today thanks Steve and Michael, bit damp but I can't believe how you can link up all those bits to make 3 hours of 95% singletrack !

Let me know about future rides...

Chris

nothing to see here
    You're welcome Chris. It's a great area to ride.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Yeah had a great ride despite the land mine at the bottom of Ridge rd

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by I Like Dirt
    Yeah had a great ride despite the land mine at the bottom of Ridge rd
    I can't believe Steve not only had to humiliate us by doing it easy on the SS, he had to plant that stick for you to hit as well, obviously hoping I'd hit you also !
    Last edited by casnell; 09-13-2009 at 09:40 PM.

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Casper and I did a not-the-usual 30km and 1000m vert. It seemed it was mostly climbing, but it was good to do something out of the ordinary. Felt pretty weak by the end, no food and I'm out of condition. 'Twas good to be out there though.
    Casper was on his new ride...

Casnell it would be great to do a ride out there some time so we can talk pugs AND riding...

nothing to see here
    Quote Originally Posted by casnell
    I can't believe Steve not only had to humiliate us by doing it easy on the SS, he had to plant that stick for you to hit as well, obviously hoping I'd hit you also !
    mwahahahahah

ss ftw
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Hud had to head off early on Saturday but it was getting nice and sunny so I continued on for a few more km's. I did a "new" loop off Alma on the Bunjil part of the usual "reverse loop", via Cracknells, Kings, Dawson, Glenvern and Butler to meet up at Alma again, a couple of hundred metres down. A worthwhile extension of 5 km or so. I'd previously done it in the other direction but it is much better anticlockwise - the singletrack/bridle trail is mostly downhill this way. It would also be possible to take the bridle trail south halfway along Dawson to the top of the Eltham-YG Rd descent to the antique shop and add that in too rather than use the Nicholas Lane bridle access with its steep grass and muddy gully. Worth a go next time we're out that way.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevob
    mwahahahahah

ss ftw
    Chris,
    I did mention to you about having to stoke Steve's Ego didn't I?

nothing to see here
    ego? ME? nah...

I see hills.

I want to climb them.

nothing to see here
    Late notice...

Riding tomorrow from the shop @ 7:30am. All welcome.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Is anyone interested in riding at St Andrews tomorrow?

An easy 20 km loop out and back from the shop, then out again for a few more kms.

nothing to see here
    yeah, I'll be in that. what time?

(I need to confirm with the minister for war and finance first)
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Time...9 is ok although Val would prefer it it was 10, what with daylight savings kicking in tonight and all. I'll leave the choice up to you, depends on whether you're working tomorrow night I suppose. Plan is to ride Shop Track, Boomers, Bujil, Broadacres, Clintons as a loop back to the shop, about 20 km and 2.5 hours, Val will head off, then out again for however long we want after that.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I'm keen on a St. Andrews ride tomorrow , so I was going to invite my son and I along. 9 or 10 is O.K. for us if that still works for you lot'.
    Cheers John

nothing to see here
    9 is good for me
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Stevob, Carver, see you at the shop tomorrow at 9.

nothing to see here
    done
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Catch you all at 9 at the store (I gather), with bleary eyes. Other Shaun coming as well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Great ride out at St Andrews on Sunday. Stevob, Carver and the two Shauns and I did a variant on Hud's "Reverse Loop", with a detour out on Cracknell's at Alma to return to Alma just a little way down at Butler - turns out to be a nice addition, very worthwhile. At the short downhill singletrack at the start of Long Gully Stevob decided to have a short rest on the ground near the gravelly right-hander around the tree after the tree roots - no damage fortunately, either to man or machine. The fatigue set in at One Tree Hill after the single track climb to the top and we cheated and returned to the shop via Rob Roy Rd and Clintons - still a respectable 40 km trip, even though we missed out on the fabled Ridge Rd descent. Great ride, thanks guys!

I had my new bike so headed off for a bit more before riding home (Val decided to give it a miss on account of the drizzle/light rain, but dropped me off at the shop anyway). I met a couple of guys in the carpark just as I was heading out that were in need of a guide, so took them out to the St Andrews market area and back, Motschalls/Gills (second time today - but fun), then a loop in One Tree Hill and then Mitchells Track and the Ridge Rd descent. They were still game enough to ride up Boomers on the way back to the shop. Another 40 km loop at St Andrews, good stuff. Thanks Ben, Anthony - we'll probably see them out there again.

Then the trip home. I cheated and took the road up to Wattle Glen Rd, skipping the Cracknells/Kings/Dawson thing (we'd done it earlier anyway...) then onto the bridle trails into St Helena and the Maroondah Pipeline easement towards Plenty Gorge and then home. Great day out, I had a ball! Thanks all!

fan of maple syrup
    Dude, seriously ... will you just go and get sponsored already? You are a riding machine.

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    So wait on Casper...you did 80km at St A. and then rode home? My post-trip lethargy just returned at the thought!
    But wait, everyone - remember we have been predicting this for a long time, fearing the day Casper got a lightweight xc bike.

nothing to see here
    Quote Originally Posted by cowpat
    At the short downhill singletrack at the start of Long Gully Stevob decided to have a short rest on the ground near the gravelly right-hander around the tree after the tree roots - no damage fortunately, either to man or machine.
    A rest, yes, that's it.

Damn it hurts now though. Ribs mainly, but shoulder also. At this rate, I doubt I'll be riding Thursday night at Cog. I'll see how I go.

Thanks for being an awesome guide too on Sunday Casper.

(+1 for what Hud said)
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Stevo,
    St Andrews is a tiring area you do need to rest out there as I have ably demonstrated.
    Casper
    sensational effort - What are the bridle trails?

nothing to see here
    Stevo,
    St Andrews is a tiring area you do need to rest out there as I have ably demonstrated.
    One also needs to exercise caution when encountering technical downhills at speed for the first time, lest one be forced to rest.

I haven't rested like that since I broke my shoulder about 3 or 4 years ago.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    What are the bridle trails?
    The horse tracks in Wattle Glen - from the end of Hillview Ct, joins Pretty Hill Lane and continues to Lorimer. There's some bridle trail off Graham Rd too but it's not really worth the detour along the road to get to. I think it's all in the Melways.

One day I'll have to explore the bit of Ness Lane north of the vineyard on foot and see if there's a track or if it can be cleared. www.land.vic.gov.au seems to suggest it's still a road but I'm not sure, might only be an easement. The south end has horse tracks through the mud and the north end comes out into the riding club - I've followed it a little from that way but no real track. Do you know anything about it?

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Have you ever checked out Flat Rock Road? Apparently it used to gave singletrack along it it (it was in one of the ORCA rides in the area) But I've heard it has since become overgrown.

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    As for alternative routes for getting to St A., this is one I did about a year ago. In Warrandyte, cross the bridge and head up the trail beside KG-WD rd. The trail switches sides of the road a few times from memory. Turn right into Osbourne rd, then zigzag down Koornong rd to the trail beside the Yarra (marked in Melways) This is quite nice and pops you out on Menzies road. Follow Menzies (has ST most of the way, not stunning but ok) all the way up to Henley rd. Turn left onto Henley and this brings you out onto E-YG rd. This puts you in prime position to do the antique shop loop descent and then go wherever you want.
    Stevob this is the route I mentioned to you recently. You could do it from home and include the relevant parts of the Warrandyte loop we do.
    I'm getting excited at the thought of doing that myself! Just not from home...

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Flat Rock Rd, yes I think we should spend a warm day riding in that area between Kangaroo Ground-St Andrews Rd and Heidelberg-Kinglake Rd to scope it out. I'm pretty sure we'll find something worthwhile in that area - remember how the track on the way to St Andrews market comes in from the west near the bus stop on KG-SA Rd? It's a big area and pretty handy to the shop.

As for Menzies, I remember you mentioned that a while back. Funny I've walked the trail along the Yarra from Osborne to Yarra River Ct a few times over the years and seen the track heading up Menzies. It's a bit out of my way so haven't been there with the bike. Did you know the track along the Yarra also goes the other way at Koornong and goes all the way to the end of Osborne to what looks like a commune-style village of strange tents? And there are chainring marks and log rollovers near that end too so someone's been riding there (probably not just hippies). Val and I often take our dog to Normans Reserve at the end of Bradleys Lane. Ahh I have an idea I might ride home from there one fine day to check out this new route of yours.

If you do a loop from Warrandyte you can come back through Kings and then via the bridle trail that starts halfway along Dawson on the way to Glenvern and ends south at the cemetery on E-YG Rd, although it's not a particularly exciting track at least it's away from the road.

Hud, maybe you should lead a ride along the Warrandyte tracks one day and we could head up and back Menzies as a bit of an extension, maybe even as far as Smiths Gully?

nothing to see here
    Definitely going to try that soon Hud. Or as soon as I'm back on the bike. Not riding thursday night for sure.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Flat rock road is still very rideable.
    There is one small section that could do with some "pruning" but other than that it's all OK.
    I was out there probably 2 months ago
    Cowpat,
    I have not checked out Ness lane our route up to the top taking in the most dirt is Watery gully rd which starts at the bus shelter on KG Wattle Glen rd opposite the end of Lorimer the rd actually heas west before going through a huge puddle(lake) and starting to climb up to Flat Rock rd this is just dirt rd climb no ST here. There is quite a bit of ST alongside Lorimer as you head down to KG- Wattle Glen Rd though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    ...our route up to the top taking in the most dirt is Watery gully rd
    I'll try that next time. Going down Lorimer and up Watery Gully always sounded like a big detour out west then east again but on the map it doesn't really look any further - apart from going all the way down the hill and then up again, up that steep section just after the "lake" at the start - but secretly we all relish those interminably long steep gravelly climbs (at least that's what I've been told, but I may have misheard).

Hud
    Singletrack minded

Did you know the track along the Yarra also goes the other way at Koornong and goes all the way to the end of Osborne to what looks like a commune-style village of strange tents?
    I wonder if this track continues past the hippie tents and comes out onto Warrandyte -KG road. Because as you cross the bridge at Warrandyte there is a track off to the right immediately, it goes up steeply at the back of the houses - that back onto the river reserve. I pushed up it some years ago but turned around as it was too steep (in those days...) Looking at Google maps there is reserve all the way around here to the end of Osbourne rd.
    Hmm...

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Hud
    I wonder if this track continues past the hippie tents and comes out onto Warrandyte -KG road.
    Not that I have seen, but maybe. It turns into an uncleared animal path almost immediately after the hippie tents and gets rougher and rougher and then peters out. But I might have missed an intersection.

mtbr member
    but secretly we all relish those interminably long steep gravelly climbs (at least that's what I've been told, but I may have misheard).
    Steve been telling you stories me thinks

nothing to see here
    They're good for ya I tells ya. Now get out there and climb. And not in a bloody granny gear either.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Last weekend

Stevob,
    Sorry to hear you're in worse shape than first thought, but I'm not surprised that was quite some 'off', sorry 'nap'!.....and the GT proved its worth once again, less bruises than you! Now unless your arm's in a nappy or something, I can't think of a good reason for you not to be there on Thursday night, you know your reputation is on the line

Cowpat,
    What were you thinking man? There we are all blown to pieces and you just go and do it all again.....and then toodle off home, its just not right! When we passed you, as we were leaving, we saw these two riders in hot pursuit. I was going to stop and offer assistance but your casual wave suggested all was well, I guess you just can't get enough victims.
    That was a great effort and it seems like you enjoyed it, maybe I need a little more training
    Thanx again guys for a great day of riding, can't wait 'till next time.
    Cheers

nothing to see here
    Quote Originally Posted by Carver96er
    Stevob,
    Sorry to hear you're in worse shape than first thought, but I'm not surprised that was quite some 'off', sorry 'nap'!.....and the GT proved its worth once again, less bruises than you! Now unless your arm's in a nappy or something, I can't think of a good reason for you not to be there on Thursday night, you know your reputation is on the line
    I really suspect that I've cracked 2 ribs. There's been no improvement since Sunday. Sneezing causes expletives. So does coughing. So does laughing. Rolling over in bed is uncomfortable to say the least. Moving, bending, lifting, opening/closing doors is all great fun right now. Difficult to breathe deep properly, even with the pain. Swelling is still there.

Having said that I don't think I'll waste my money/time on x-rays as there's nothing that can be done. I've got 6 days off now anyway, so we'll see how it progresses.

Reputation? For pushing myself too far maybe.

Time to listen to my body.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

fan of maple syrup
    Reputation? For pushing myself too far maybe.
    Never a bad one to have.

I've done this back in my youth (rugby league) and compression taping/strapping around the body - over the affected ribs and up toward the opposite shoulder front & back - helped a lot with sleeping. Since that's when you do your best healing I figured it was a good thing. Of course ... I din't have the level of body hair then that I do now. I can't imagine pulling all that tape off nowadays.

nothing to see here
    Thanks for the tip NP, but I think I've got too much hair also
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Ribs remedy

From my 3 'rib' experiences the best thing to do is go on anti-inflamitery medication (even if its only during the evening to help sleep) , and do the most minimal amount of lifting or strenuous work as possible. The less you do the quicker they heal.
    All the best!

mtbr member
    Sorry to hear about the ribs mate.
    So you're telling me that laughter isn't the best medicine???

nothing to see here
    not this time
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

Scott is a tool.
    Thanks for the tip NP, but I think I've got too much hair also
    Righto Steve, the best solution is to get yourself an Anaesthetist and get them to put in some intercostal nerve blocks, you'll sleep for days, and they should get you through the majority of the initial pain and inflammation.

Now after that very practical and accessible piece of advice (gotta love sarcasm), 1gm Paracetamol 4 tiems a day, with 400mg of Ibuprofen 4 times a day for at least the first week will get you some of the way there. If you need some more kick, get some Nurofen plus, it is the strongest over the counter pain reliever available, with just a little less codiene than Panadiene forte.

Always take the Ibuprofen with food, otherwise your stomach will hate you after a week of it!!

Good luck mate.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Good luck Steve and take it easy for a bit. I hope you recover swiftly.

And Doc, maybe you can help me out - I've been having these pains...

fan of maple syrup
    Mate, Waldog will sort you out big time. I've heard stories .....

Scott is a tool.
    Quote Originally Posted by nuclear_powered
    Mate, Waldog will sort you out big time. I've heard stories .....
    Ummm, not sure if that paints me in a good light? Oh well, i'll run with it.

nothing to see here
    Quote Originally Posted by waldog
    Righto Steve, the best solution is to get yourself an Anaesthetist and get them to put in some intercostal nerve blocks, you'll sleep for days, and they should get you through the majority of the initial pain and inflammation.

Now after that very practical and accessible piece of advice (gotta love sarcasm), 1gm Paracetamol 4 tiems a day, with 400mg of Ibuprofen 4 times a day for at least the first week will get you some of the way there. If you need some more kick, get some Nurofen plus, it is the strongest over the counter pain reliever available, with just a little less codiene than Panadiene forte.

Always take the Ibuprofen with food, otherwise your stomach will hate you after a week of it!!

Good luck mate.
    Sleep for days huh? Sounds good to me, being a night shift worker.

I don't like taking pain killers of any sort at the best of times. In fact, this injury caused me to take some for the first time in over a year. There's something reassuring (to me) about feeling a little pain. It's my body telling me what's OK and what's not. I'll still use the anti-inflamatories when I have to though.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

I like to ride my bicycle
    ... I din't have the level of body hair then that I do now. I can't imagine pulling all that tape off nowadays.
    I know exactly what you mean... I had my wrist strapped with Elastoplast for a few days this week... I now have a smooth patch on my lower forearm! It took about 20 minutes to get the sticky off. OUCH!
    French car fan? Head straight to www.aussiefrogs.com

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Hi all, I'm back in town and itching to get on the treadly.
    This sat, I'm planning to start at W'arrandyte, do the above-mentioned route to Watson's Ck, maybe up Ridge, down Michell's then find our way over to do Casper's new trails if he can come, before heading back. Who's ready to start their Otway training?

fan of maple syrup
    Who's ready to start their Otway training?
    Crikey ... that sounds like the sort of ride I'll finish my Otway training on.

Actually planning a short jaunt out there on Sun as it starts to warm up again. Though that will depend on how this weekend's mission of cutting the arse off my house goes. I think I'll have to start a thread "What did we all NOT ride on the weekend" so I can post some pictures of renovation/extension ... just so I can feel like I'm doing something constructive while off the bike.

nothing to see here
    I'll be there in spirit Hud.

NP, that sounds like a good idea for a thread, but with WHY, not WHAT starting it.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Hi all, I'm back in town and itching to get on the treadly.
    This sat, I'm planning to start at W'arrandyte, do the above-mentioned route to Watson's Ck, maybe up Ridge, down Michell's then find our way over to do Casper's new trails if he can come, before heading back. Who's ready to start their Otway training?
    What time are you starting? And how long a loop? Hubby may be interested if I let him out (We have a lunch to go to though..)

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    I'd say it will go past lunch time. 40km at least -not sure as it's a 'new' ride. The usual start time is around 8.30 or 9.00.
    Have to see if anyone is interested first...

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I'm keen for a ride, would like to be finished by about 1. This shouldn't be a problem if we start early though. There is a slight chance i might have to work tomorrow, but will let you know by tonight. Doing some new trails out there would be excellent.

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    ok we could probably start at 8am. Meet at the carpark near the bridge. Go through the roundabout at the bridge (heading for Ringwood) immediately turn left into carpark, it drops down to the river. Mrs H we could probably get back by 12 or 1 but it may be cutting it a bit fine for you. Is Mr H pretty fit?

mtbr member
    Yeah, he's fit enough.. Cool! He/We'll be there at 8, I'll come back at 12 ish and we can head to lunch from W'dyte..

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Ok, got your pm. seeya there. Hope 4 hrs is enough...I suppose you can head towards us in the car if we are running late, bring a melways with you.

mtbr member
    Yes to both of those

nothing to see here
    Forgot to ask you last night Hud, did you do this ride on Saturday? I know the weather was a little inclement.

FWIW, I just went and did a reccy on those roads (in my new car) and other options for getting out to St A via Warrandyte.

The ride would go something like this...

From Warrandyte bridge, nice slow climb up to Osborne Rd. From here, it's mostly downhill sealed surface (no sidetracks), with a left into Hamilton, right into Koornong to just past where it turns into unsealed. There's an exit to the right before Koornong turns uphill again, this leads to a small carpark, which the track leads off. This track appears to be very nice, flowing single track, with a few unrideable logs, and a few rideable ones. There doesn't appear to be very many bikes using this track. It goes all the way to the intersection of Yarra River court & Menzies road.

Right onto Menzies and there's a sidetrack on the right, and it's a good climb up too, nothing too difficult though. Menzies does have sidetracks switching from side to side, but they're not always there. So some road riding on sealed surface. Where Menzies intersects Henley road is where there's a few options.

1) Turn left onto Henley, and after about 5 or 600 metres, relatively flat, with only a little short sidetrack on the rhs, you'll end up at Eltham Yarra Glen rd. Downhill just about all the way (~2.5km) to the antiques shop and is the easiest route.

2) Turn right onto Henley and after about 500 metres, turn left into Nicholas lane (completely unsealed) which is a no through road for cars, but bikes can easily get through. Downhill for a few hundred metres before 2 little climbs to warm you up again. No sidetrack on Nicholas lane at all, and it's then downhill all the way to where it intersects Eltham Yarra Glen road 1km before the antiques shop.

3) If you're feeling fit, continue past Nicholas road down Henley, all the way to Calwell rd (unsealed). Henely traverses a ridge for the most part, and decends nicely to Calwell. There's some sidetracks on the lhs of Henley which looked like some fun. Calwell road is mostly undulating with no sidetracks. Turn left at Westering and the test begins. There's an absolute bugger of a climb here, all on an unsealed road. Once at the highest part though, sidetracks can be found switching from side to side for the most part, all the way up to Ridge road, close to the top of it. From here, take your pic.

I'd suggest travelling out via route #1 and returning via route #3. Otherwise it'd be a little difficult.

From start to finish, regardless of the route taken, it'd be a tough ride, and something I'd only attempt on a cooler day.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    More info for ya Stevob and all, to add to your reconn:

Actually there is a sort-of sidetrack option on Nicholas. Hud showed me a year ago or so - there's a bridle track that runs from about halfway along Nicholas to E-YG Rd (east to west) so you can do the downhill singletrack along E-YG to the Antique Shop which is fun. I think it's in the Melways. Steep climb up to E-YG Rd and the gully at the bottom is usually wet though so watch out.

The track you mention from the carpark at Osborne/Koornong goes both ways. Did you walk it in the other direction too (to the hippie tents)? Theoretically there is a reserve between 48 and 50 Osborne Rd that provides access to this end of the track but with the smell of candlewax and the hippie tents and me without my protective aluminium foil skull-cap I haven't been game to walk through it myself.

Don't know if I'll be making it out there on Saturday yet.

nothing to see here
    More info for ya Stevob and all, to add to your reconn:

Actually there is a sort-of sidetrack option on Nicholas. Hud showed me a year ago or so - there's a bridle track that runs from about halfway along Nicholas to E-YG Rd (east to west) so you can do the downhill singletrack along E-YG to the Antique Shop which is fun.
    I didn't see that despite my looking, which side of the road?
    I think it's in the Melways. Steep climb up to E-YG Rd and the gully at the bottom is usually wet though so watch out.

The track you mention from the carpark at Osborne/Koornong goes both ways. Did you walk it in the other direction too (to the hippie tents)? Theoretically there is a reserve between 48 and 50 Osborne Rd that provides access to this end of the track but with the smell of candlewax and the hippie tents and me without my protective aluminium foil skull-cap I haven't been game to walk through it myself.

Don't know if I'll be making it out there on Saturday yet.
    Thanks Cowpat. I didn't get out of the car at that carpark. I just walked the trail from the Menzies road end for a little bit, then turned around. There was a nice bloke walking some rather unfriendly and unleashed large dogs there.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Co-incidently I was on Henley rd today as well. A fully laden truck and trailer on that road is not ideal...
    I was looking for trails as well as I dodged low trees and cars too. I still think the best way is down beside E-YG rd doing the 'antique shop loop' descent. It's a great trail Steve, dunno how you missed it.
    As for Sat, MrH pulled out so John and I did a ride from the store.

nothing to see here
    I was only looking on the rhs as I came down E-YG from henley rd. Is it on the left?
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I was only looking on the rhs as I came down E-YG from henley rd. Is it on the left?
    It would be on the left if you were going down Nicholas like you described. The Antique Shop descent is on the right if you're driving down E-YG from Henley to Alma/Ridge and is quite visible at times from the road.

fan of maple syrup
    It would be on the left if you were going down Nicholas like you described. The Antique Shop descent is on the right if you're driving down E-YG from Henley to Alma/Ridge and is quite visible at times from the road.
    I've also ridden this descent beside E-YG Road here with Hud and it's way fun (think it was my first ride out there). Looks like there's a fair few derailler-hungry twigs/stick/branches down on it now, but it would be great to incorporate it again one day as part of a loop starting at the shop. Is there any room for some roadside ST along Nicholas Ln coming uphill from Watsons Creek? Just to avoid a boring fireroad climb...

nothing to see here
    Is there any room for some roadside ST along Nicholas Ln coming uphill from Watsons Creek? Just to avoid a boring fireroad climb...
    It could be done as there's just sufficient room between the road and the fenceline, however, it'd be a very twisty track, as there's plenty of trees. Not worth it imo, but a second look would confirm either way.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    We once rode Nicholas up to Carters as an alternative to the grassy V-ditch bridle trail. (J_775's pre baby days...) There was as much if not more climbing that way and it was awful.
    Something else of interest is the wriggly road just south of Carters lane (see Googlemaps)
    This is a flat aquaduct trail and it looks like it may be incorporated into Calwell and then branches of Calwell further east. We could see this flat trail winding around the hills from the other side of the vally (well along Henley rd) It's a stunning bit of country through there. Not sure if it's open to public access though.
    I guess it's possible to joing up to Ridge rd somehow. (Though I don't see people branching off Ridge halfway down.)
    Also on Henley rd where it crosses the creek near Oxley rd there is a Parks gate (with no dreaded signs on it) on the north side - maybe a link from Calwell through here?

nothing to see here
    This is a flat aquaduct trail and it looks like it may be incorporated into Calwell and then branches of Calwell further east. We could see this flat trail winding around the hills from the other side of the vally (well along Henley rd) It's a stunning bit of country through there. Not sure if it's open to public access though.
    That aquaduct is marked in the Melway as prohibited access.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

smc
    mtbr member
    Anyone ride out St Andrews way on a Thursday night? I used to ride with friends in Christmas Hills where we developed a few good trails around Skyline Rd but they are all burnt and need considerable rebuilding. Been riding Yarra trails more recently but they are getting a bit boring and crowded now the weather is better.

So if anyone feels like a ride on a Thursday night (start ~6:30pm) then it'd be great to have a tour guide!

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Was it yourself and a mate that built those trails along with Errol? A few of us from on here did did stuff out there as well, all gone now unfortunately. Not sure where you live but you should come along on the Cog Cafe social rides in Mount Evelyn on a thursday night at 6:30. You'd be impressed I'm sure.

smc
    mtbr member
    Was it yourself and a mate that built those trails along with Errol? A few of us from on here did did stuff out there as well, all gone now unfortunately. Not sure where you live but you should come along on the Cog Cafe social rides in Mount Evelyn on a thursday night at 6:30. You'd be impressed I'm sure.
    Yeah, Errol did most of the work near Skyline Rd we just tagged along and helped here and there. Errol still rides around Yarra Glen but hasn't ventured into much single track since the fires so we're looking for alternatives. Mt Evelyn is too far for me on a weeknight, coming from Sunshine. Christmas Hills isn't too bad - just along the Ring Rd.

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Ah right I built the first half of what we called the Dam link track (From Errol's latest section to the dam) Cowpat built the 2nd half with the steep climb and benching.
    Ohhh I miss those trails.

I could be up for a St A. ride on a thurs. I've only ever ridden out there once at night.

Has the Skyline road area recovered much?
    There was never much there to begin with.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by smc
    So if anyone feels like a ride on a Thursday night (start ~6:30pm) then it'd be great to have a tour guide!
    I often ride out there on a Thursday arvo when the weather is nice and could meet up, although next week I'll hopefully be at Plenty Gorge with nuclear_powered and Daz. 'Course you can join us there too if you like.

smc
    mtbr member
    Sounds good, will get Errol and some other guys organised and try and meet up for a Thursday ride. Plenty Gorge could be interesting also.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Hi there,

Newbie to this thread and relative newbie to MTBing (13 months). Just did the surfcoast 3hr and full on training for the Otway 100 is about to commence. I live in Warrandyte and am pretty familiar with most of the tracks around that area (although you don't know what you don't know) but would love to hook up with some of you guys and explore tracks so I can link Warrandyte and StAndrews. Will be watching with interest when the next ride is on if that's OK.

nothing to see here
    Welcome MELCHCH. The more the merrier!

How'd you go at the Surfcoast?

St Andrews is an excellent training ground for The Otway 100. Heaps of climbs there.

I'm planning a St Andrews ride for next monday afternoon, around lunchtime onwards, for those who are interested.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Welcome MELCHCH. The more the merrier!

How'd you go at the Surfcoast?

St Andrews is an excellent training ground for The Otway 100. Heaps of climbs there.

I'm planning a St Andrews ride for next monday afternoon, around lunchtime onwards, for those who are interested.
    Thanks Stevob,

Went okay at the surfcoast for a first race, 33rd in 3hr male solo. Hit the wall at about 2 1/2hrs.

I'm not available next Monday but am available most afternoons from 4pm onwards and most weekends, especially Saturdays. Will keep my eye out for upcoming rides.

Thanks again.

nothing to see here
    Quote Originally Posted by MELCHCH
    Thanks Stevob,

Went okay at the surfcoast for a first race, 33rd in 3hr male solo. Hit the wall at about 2 1/2hrs.

I'm not available next Monday but am available most afternoons from 4pm onwards and most weekends, especially Saturdays. Will keep my eye out for upcoming rides.

Thanks again.
    Cool. There's always rides being posted here.

What was the Surfcoast course like? Rocky, smooth, flowing, sandy, hilly, flat, very technical? I'm dying to find out. I wanted to do it, but couldn't due to injury.

Good result btw. Races are addictive.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    What was the Surfcoast course like? Rocky, smooth, flowing, sandy, hilly, flat, very technical? I'm dying to find out. I wanted to do it, but couldn't due to injury.
    I really enjoyed the course. I just thought there was a really good mix of everything. Some fun, fast downhill, technical/rocky downhill, a couple of good little pinches. There was a bit of sand towards the end on a couple of corners but not too bad. There were two REALLY bumpy downhill runs (loose your (my) drink bottle bumpy!) but all in all great variety.

nothing to see here
    Sounds like it was fun. FWIW, the best course I've raced on has been Forest. Nice surface, great berms, albeit a bit muddy. Really looking forward to finishing the Otway Odyssey there.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Melchch, sat AM is my usual ride time as you may have noticed.
    I see a ride brewing for this weekend.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by MELCHCH
    Forecast for Wednesday is sunny and 25. I'm planning to head out to St Andrews in the arvo for a ride, should be at the shop somewhere soon after 3:30 but could meet up later if you can make it.

mtbr member
    Forecast for Wednesday is sunny and 25. I'm planning to head out to St Andrews in the arvo for a ride, should be at the shop somewhere soon after 3:30 but could meet up later if you can make it.

Andrew (MrH) is keen for a St Andew's ride if that's OK? He can be at (Smith's Gully?) shop by 3:30.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    That's it, Smiths Gully shop, corner of Clintons Rd and Kangaroo Ground - St Andrews Rd.

We'll tentatively make it 3:30, later if CHCH is able to join us.

Here: http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=d&s...,0.025706&z=16

mtbr member
    I'd be keen for an early ride Sat, Sun or Mon this weekend if anyone's up for it.

(early like 8 at the shop...)

I loved the 6hr, pity I felt like crap, been coughing my lungs up since. Great variety on the track, great atmosphere !

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Can't do Wednesday, thanks cowpat, but am def keen for Sat AM ride Hud.

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    8am sat may work for me, but will have to confirm.

mtbr member
    That's it, Smiths Gully shop, corner of Clintons Rd and Kangaroo Ground - St Andrews Rd.

We'll tentatively make it 3:30, later if CHCH is able to join us.

Here: http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=d&s...,0.025706&z=16
    Thanks, I've passed on the details to him

smc
    mtbr member
    Reconstruction of "Errol's" trails have begun again, about 2km done so far, it's pretty intense riding, we did a 6km test ride up and down the trail and averaged 9km/h... riding there this Thurs night 6:30pm.

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Great! Who is doing the work? Are you managing to re-do them on the old lines?
    Will have to organise a working bee out there.

smc
    mtbr member
    Errols doing most the work, there were 4 of us there on Sunday, a lot of it retraces the old track but some has had to be modified due to trees fallen or trees gone missing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I'll try to meet up on Thursday. Skyline Rd I suppose?

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    I might be there too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    The ride would go something like this...

From Warrandyte bridge, nice slow climb up to Osborne Rd. From here, it's mostly downhill sealed surface (no sidetracks), with a left into Hamilton, right into Koornong to just past where it turns into unsealed. There's an exit to the right before Koornong turns uphill again, this leads to a small carpark, which the track leads off. This track appears to be very nice, flowing single track, with a few unrideable logs, and a few rideable ones. There doesn't appear to be very many bikes using this track. It goes all the way to the intersection of Yarra River court & Menzies road.

Right onto Menzies and there's a sidetrack on the right, and it's a good climb up too, nothing too difficult though. Menzies does have sidetracks switching from side to side, but they're not always there. So some road riding on sealed surface. Where Menzies intersects Henley road is where there's a few options.

1) Turn left onto Henley, and after about 5 or 600 metres, relatively flat, with only a little short sidetrack on the rhs, you'll end up at Eltham Yarra Glen rd. Downhill just about all the way (~2.5km) to the antiques shop and is the easiest route.

2)...
    Val dropped me off at Warrandyte yesterday (on the way home from Lysterfield). I kind-of did what Stevob suggested up there:

Up KG-Warrandyte Rd to Osbourne. There's some tracks/dirt footpaths but mainly bitumen.

Down Osbourne to nearly the end. Don't turn off at Hamilton. Almost at the court at the end on the right there's a lane that obviously doesn't belong to the houses on either side. Down this and rightish when it turns into singletrack (left leads to the hippie tents). A nice track although a couple of fallen trees. Would be very nice if cleared a little. Some steps, but in this direction they're downhill and rideable. The track ends and you pop out at Koornong.

Turn right onto Koornong, down the road a bit and then into the carpark on the right and follow the track. At one stage you'll get to a Y - go right down the smaller track. You'll pop out at Menzies in the gully. Again a few fallen trees with chainring marks on them.

Up Menzies to Henley. There's bridle trail/singletrack on the road easement for about half of it.

I went left at Henley to E-YG Rd then down the Antique Shop descent. No singletrack worth mentioning along Henley. I also went right and had a look for the east end of Carters Lane, but seems it is closed off along with the Aqueduct track (which according to Ross may one day be opened to bikes).

Overall the trip to Smiths Gully was easier than I expected (Menzies always looked really steep from below, but it ain't so). I didn't keep track of the time but it might be somewhere around 1.5 - 2 hours to get to the Shop. Nice little trip with some new tracks.

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    TBC friday, but it looks like there will be a ride happening from the Store this saturday morning. Hoping to roll from 7.30. Should be a swift 3 hr ride.

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Looking to wear off some turkey and pudding on Boxing Day out here. Wingy is keen so we'll throw a 50km ride his way...

As usual - to be confirmed.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

mtbr member
    After last night's FAIL at riding with cowpat at Plenty River Gorge, I think i'll work on my fitness a bit more

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0