Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: St Andrews

fan of maple syrup
    Quote Originally Posted by Hud
    Backtracked all the way my way through. J_774 an cowpat , you'll be interested to know that the trail runs off the one we looked at as we had our food break. Down there about a km or so. I dragged a rake in with me and put in about 500m of singletrack. It'll be a loop that starts and finishes in the same place on the existing trail. That one section of trail alone is 5km + what I'm putting in should stretch it to 6-7 km.
    Can't wait til saturday...
    Nice work Trailblazer. I can't wait either - my 3L bladder bag (the black version) arrived today so no more whinging (from me) about not having enough water (... hopefully).

mtbr member
    What time are we on for Saturday??

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Thats a crafty looking pack N_P.
    9:00 saturday seems to work pretty well, suit all?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Great work Hud. I don't think I can get out Saturday this week, dang. But I've got a few hours off tomorrow arvo for a ride. Maybe I'll head up there and have a look at your good handiwork.

I don't know if it'll help and you may already have one but here's a low-res map of the area, should give you an idea anyway. You can see that Skyline Rd used to go all the way up nearly to Bundy Track. Sorry about how big they are but you can't read them otherwise...
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Thats a crafty looking pack N_P.
    9:00 saturday seems to work pretty well, suit all?
    Done!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Hey Cowpat, thanks for posting up the maps, seems we were one ridge away on Saturday. Are you guys still heading out with the wet forecast??

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Quote Originally Posted by J_775
    Hey Cowpat, thanks for posting up the maps, seems we were one ridge away on Saturday. Are you guys still heading out with the wet forecast??
    Yeah, unless it's bucketing, I'm tossing up whether to go out and buy a decent rain jacket that I've been threatening to do for 12 months.
    Last edited by Hud; 04-24-2008 at 02:58 AM.

fan of maple syrup
    Yeah, unless it's bucketing, I'm tossing up whether to go out and buy a decent rain jacket that I've been threatening to do for 12 months. Oh yeah and in my recent travels at ST A. I stumbled across a full blown xc course, I'm not saying where it is though...
    Your call mate, I'm happy to head out if it's just a few showers (BoM says showers in the afternoon). Though with showers the day before, every tree slap will be like a brief shower anyway.

RE: jackets - I've got a Fox Trooper ($95 eBay), similar to Mitchell's but a bit newer, and it's pretty good. I would've preferred something more breathable since I'm a sweat hog, but the sorta thing I need (25K+ breathability) is upwards of $350.

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    I've been looking a t a Kathmandu jacket $300 marked down from $450 but it's still serious loot for something that is only used occaisionly.

mtbr member
    I've got a Kathmandu jacket that I bought a long time ago ~9-10yrs maybe. Its been pretty good I think I paid about $180 back then
    Breaths Ok but in a down pour you get wet really only good for lighter stuff and a bit of wind protection

mtbr member
    I have no idea if it is actually any good, but http://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/BYJKEW7CJ is cheap.
    www.yourtrails.net/weights/ - Kick ass weights listing
    racing.thylacinecycles.com - Racing silliness

fan of maple syrup
    Great ride out there today. Hud, Hud's Brother, Mitchell, Puddleduck, Puddleduck's friend & myself did a gruelling 40 odd kilometers to Yarra Ridge and back (that correct Hud?). Felt like we climbed above the snowline at one point in Kinglake Nat Park before some absolutely fantastic descents.

Checked out "Hud's Loop" which I think he, his bro and Mitchell had made. Nice stuff. Found another pretty serious XC track which was pretty awesome. Totally buggered at the end but the post-ride analysis and food at the Gen Store was a great way to end the ride.

Great to catch up with and meet some fellow MTBR'ers.

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Yeah it was a great ride. Probably the toughest variation we've done to date. Headed towards Kinglake for a bit then over to the edge of the Yarra Valley. Some fast flowing trail, tight singletrack, long descents, and the odd climb
    Hope it wasn't too much for Puddleduck on his first session out there.
    In the future if new people come along: BRING AT LEAST 3L OF WATER, LOTS OF FOOD AND BE PREPARED FOR THE TOUGHEST RIDE YOU HAVE EVER DONE!
    That doesn't mean it won't be good though...

Thanks for the link to the jacket Someguy, I might go with that.

mtbr member
    Great ride on the weekend - lots of climbing, amazing views. Big thanks to Hud and the crew.

Fired Up, Here We Go
    Hey Hud,

I was just wondering when you're heading out to St Andrews next?

I've never been out there before, and I would appreciate it if someone knowledgable would be able to guide me on the singletrack.

Cheers,
    Australian Defence Cycling Club - Team ARMY

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Dunno, maybe saturday after this one coming. Keep an eye on the forum.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I'd be keen to ride out there next Saturday. That's one other...

I'll probably be out there Thu night too if anyone has plans for a night ride. It does get cold quick out there in the little valleys though, once the sun sets.

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Went for a walk over the weekend out on the new flowy trail that started near the dam. (Yarra ridge area) Hoping to put in a trail from the dam around to the pines where the new xc trail has been cut in - following the contours. Walked a fair bit of it and there is a remnant of an old trail there already, including some nth shore made by some kids or someone like me which could be good.

Snapped a few pics of the flowy trail. I think one of the tyre prints on the log is a Kenda small block 8, can anyone identify the other? Maybe a Michelen A/T? A splinter interest of mine is identifying tyre prints in mud.

Keen to ride out there again on Sat.(9am) Thinking of doing a mildly revised reverse loop. Who's up for it?

One of the pics is a bit O/T for PDucks benefit.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Scott is a tool.
    Went for a walk over the weekend out on the new flowy trail that started near the dam. (Yarra ridge area) Hoping to put in a trail from the dam around to the pines where the new xc trail has been cut in - following the contours. Walked a fair bit of it and there is a remnant of an old trail there already, including some nth shore made by some kids or someone like me which could be good.

Snapped a few pics of the flowy trail. I think one of the tyre prints on the log is a Kenda small block 8, can anyone identify the other? Maybe a Michelen A/T? A splinter interest of mine is identifying tyre prints in mud.

Keen to ride out there again on Sat.(9am) Thinking of doing a mildly revised reverse loop. Who's up for it?

One of the pics is a bit O/T for PDucks benefit.
    Those trails look fantastic!!! I'm pretty sure that the on on the left isn't a small block 8, the sguares look too big, the small block 8 squares are very, very small. I could be wrong though. I would think Michelin on for the one on the right too.

What kind of dog is that?

Wal.

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Jess is a Kelpie.
    I sort of cheated though on the tyre. I know who it would've been riding there and he has SB8's.
    I would've known anyway of course...

mtbr member
    Nice!!

fan of maple syrup
    Is the dam you're talking about where Mitchell & I both discovered we were bleeding from the arm? And would revised reverse loop include heading out that far?

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    haha yeah. Are your ears developing large holes yet?

As for the revised reverse loop, no nothing 'new' just thinking of doing stuff in a slightly different order. Hardly worth mentioning really Anyway I don't have to have all the say, if people like yourself are out there.

Cheers
    Hud

fan of maple syrup
    Hmmm, I'm a big fan of reverse - particularly finishing via Clintons Rd. If we can put Mitchells new climb plus Ridge Rd in there as well then that would make a pretty good ride. Any way to do Bunjil - Alma, left onto Long Gully, then up Turnung Rd to get to the track that leads back to E-YG road? Then we go from there to Mitchells new track?

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Bit hard to do Ridge then get back to Clintons road without covering a lot of ground that you've already done.

I was thinking Boomers, Bunjil, Alma, Long Gully, (Motchell Climb/descent?) Turnung, Mitchells trail, Ridge rd....[Alma, Bunjil again with the mineshaft descent - 2nd half of long gully, boomers - up Blue House rd that I mentioned]
    Yeah doing Clintons back to the shop from Ridge would be great but you'd have to ride about 5km of E-YG road. (Not good)

Wish I could drop this many names at a business meeting...

fan of maple syrup
    After 2nd half Long Gully I'd climb back up Broad Acres again (after most definately doing it earlier for the Motchalls descent) over Boomers as a means of getting back to Gen Store. Boomers is really only cool one way - down (even though there's a bit of up).

But I'm fluid - we can decide as we go eh? It will just be fun to be out there.

As much as nowhere else is providing as much inspiration as St A's these days, at some stage we're going to have to get out to the Youies too ... maybe weekend after if I'm not in Canb. Best done dry though for tackling wooden obstacles and boulders.

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Thats not a bad thought, going up Motchalls, a bit more height gain but we can just cruise up the road itself, then the lower section of Clintons is the best. As I always say, nice to finish a ride with a descent.
    Yeah the excitement builds every week at the thought of getting out there, there are so many options one doesn't get sick of it. Still looking forward to a Youies session. A car pool would be the go if possible.

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Spent 6 hrs out in the bush today with tools, this effort much more succesful than the last. Friendlier terrain means this trail is going to flow very sweetly. Bring on the weekend!

fan of maple syrup
    Whereabouts? Back up high near the damn, or back closer to the gen store?

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Is that a typo...
    Back close to our regular area.
    Last edited by Hud; 05-07-2008 at 02:40 PM.

fan of maple syrup
    9:00am start tomorrow?

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Yep. I'm going to be early for once. Sabresix or anyone else coming?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I'm still in for a ride. See you at the general store.

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    Hud- if you are still after a waterproof here you go mate. I just picked up one on Ebay.

A north face "venture" jacket.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....MEWN:IT&ih=004

I've been into North Face gear for a few yrs now and I love it. Great fit- amazing quality- good prices. I highly recommend tis jacket.... and I'd say a medium is your fit. They also have matching water proof trousers too.

I actually purchased this style jacket for my wife only a few months ago (ladies version) and paid about $370 NZ!!!! Oh- and you can get it in a range of colours- not just black

Ride on!

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Thanks for that. I'm liking Ground Effects Storm Tropper jacket as it packs into a bumbag which is handy if it's been used and is subsequently wet and muddy, or if there is just not enough room in the backpack. Costly though, compared to what you have linked up there.

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    Thanks for that. I'm liking Ground Effects Storm Tropper jacket as it packs into a bumbag which is handy if it's been used and is subsequently wet and muddy, or if there is just not enough room in the backpack. Costly though, compared to what you have linked up there.
    Sweet.

The reviews of the storm trooper are spot on. Nice choice Jedi Knight

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Hmm.. the urge builds once again to get out there. Sort of thinking of doing the Yarra Ridge mega loop again. Wouldn't mind doing that one on the SS. But if P'duck and some of the other 1st timers want to come out again maybe we could do a reverse loop??
    9am start at the shop.

Cheers
    Hud

mtbr member
    May 2008
    went here for the first time this weekend, just rode around for about 3 and a half hours, mostly trying to figure out where we were. but there are some really good trails through the area.
    would have never known bout it if i didn't visit this site. will be visiting again very soon.

mtbr member
    I'm definitely up for another ride soon - ideally one with lots of sweet flowing singletrack. Unfortunately I cant make it this Sat.

fan of maple syrup
    I'm in Canberra this weekend. Have fun out there whoever goes. And keep an eye out for the albino kangaroo (I didn't realise how rare a thing it was for us to have seen a wild one a few weeks ago).

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I'm very keen to ride out again at St Andrews but can't make it this Saturday (have to guide some guys from Tassie around the Moonlight Flat Pines loop at Castlemaine, hard luck eh!).

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Talking to Ross from the shop today. He has been approached by members of the group that mange a bunch of the reserves in the area for a meeting this friday. Ross said they realise that "mountain bikes aren't going to go away" and they have approached him to talk about MTB access. This is great news, hopefully a positive outcome will be reached. Ross is going to show them some of the trails and put a good spin on MTB in general. He's going to ask about putting in new trails that will cater for walkers and MTBers (not gravel footpaths) including one down along the creek along that stretch of Eltham -Yarra Glen road that we have talked about (Nuclear_Powered and others)
    Anyway It'll be interesting to see what happens.

Cowpat: Hoping to head out this saturday to do the Yarra Ridge loop, I'll be taking the Niner. Piker is interested in bringing out his SS as well. Will confirm tomorrow night. Others welcome. It'll be 40km minimum with plenty of climbing, plenty of food and water needed.

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    It's a goer from my end. Piker - I'll be running 32/18 for this ride on the 29er. Cowpat reckons 32/16 is good for a 26".
    Anyone else coming out?

mtbr member
    Would love too, but I've got the bug that's floating around, and haven't been on a bike for 1.5 weeks...it's killing me!

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    It's a goer from my end. Piker - I'll be running 32/18 for this ride on the 29er. Cowpat reckons 32/16 is good for a 26".
    Anyone else coming out?
    32/18 is the sweet spot for big wheels (apparently).

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I'll assume at the store at 9 tomorrow; PM me by 8:20 tomorrow if you bail on the weather.

I'd run 35/16 except Castlemaine would probably kill me. Let's see how hard the hills at St Andrews are. Apprehensive? Maybe.

I am right!
    sorry Hud, i'm out for Sat...32/16 on the 29, but 32/18 would be better.....

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Yeah 9am start. The weather should be okay "Light showers possible".

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Once again, looking wetish for saturday, nevertheless, I'll be out there after two weeks off the bikes. Anyone coming?

fan of maple syrup
    I can only manage a short one this Saturday, like - back to Gen store at 1230. Probably wont work for part of a group ride. If I do head out there, I'll prb try and do a pseudo reverse loop or something. But at this stage thinking of heading to Blue Lake for a quick spin and some more reccy of the area.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast