Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Thread: St Andrews

Scott is a tool.

I wanna check this place out......

Howdy people, i'm keen as mustard to check out the much talked about trails at St. Andrews. I have no problem getting to the general store, but where to from there?

Looking to head out there Tuesday with another riding buddy of mine.

Help me please.

Cheers, Grant.
    Last edited by waldog; 01-08-2008 at 03:59 PM.

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    pm sent..

fan of maple syrup
    Looks like good weather this weekend (read: not stinking f'ing hot). I'd be up for a 9am General Store start - earlier if need be (edit: Talking Saturday here). However, it's been a while since Hud first showed me round, and I get the impression some new lines/tracks have been found yeah?

Also, having just spent the weekend on some of the better DH tracks I've ever ridden (Buller), I see huge potential for the One Tree Hill descent. I'm hopeless at organising things, but I was toying with the idea of doing some trackwork - you know, put something back into the sport I take so much from. The only catch is that I know nothing about building trails. But I'd follow directions if they were given and I can swing a mean shovel/axe. Hud - you said you've built a few trails in the past yeah? Whaddya reckon?

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Quote Originally Posted by nuclear_powered
    Looks like good weather this weekend (read: not stinking f'ing hot). I'd be up for a 9am General Store start - earlier if need be (edit: Talking Saturday here). However, it's been a while since Hud first showed me round, and I get the impression some new lines/tracks have been found yeah?

Also, having just spent the weekend on some of the better DH tracks I've ever ridden (Buller), I see huge potential for the One Tree Hill descent. I'm hopeless at organising things, but I was toying with the idea of doing some trackwork - you know, put something back into the sport I take so much from. The only catch is that I know nothing about building trails. But I'd follow directions if they were given and I can swing a mean shovel/axe. Hud - you said you've built a few trails in the past yeah? Whaddya reckon?

The thing is, if you look in a more current melways it says 'No bikes' in One Tree Hill reserve. So It's probably not a good idea to wade in with shovels and axes. I'm not opposed to the work that has bypassed the steep eroded section in the gully and I can't see the Rangers being too critical either. I'd be happy to (and have done in the area) go in with a rake and scratch away the twigs/leaves to make a singletrack in a remote area. But maybe I'ts not a good idea to talk about it on a public forum.
    Edit: I like your enthusiasm though, and a hand building tracks would be great as it can get a bit depressing on your own.
    Ross at the shop is thinking about a petition to put to the council, they know he's a rider and there is a bit of friction at the moment.
    I have a few ideas for singletracks in non-sensitive areas to replace some road sections. I'll point them out next time.
    Yeah we've found a few more tracks, theres a lot of good stuff you havn't seen yet. Last sat. we did the ST behind the shop over to Boomers in reverse, it was a hoot as you can probably imagine.
    This saturday will be perfect at 25 degrees, I'll bear it in mind.
    Last edited by Hud; 01-07-2008 at 10:54 PM.

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    The urge to ride is building again, who's up for it this saturday??

fan of maple syrup
    In negotiations...

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    With the great forecast, I am there. Hanging for a ride out there below 30 degrees. Prob keen for an ealy one. Will confirm later in the week.

I like to ride my bicycle
    Maybe I'll come again if I can get the bike dusted off in time. And fix the flat tyre...

John
    (basking in Hud's reflected glory).

fan of maple syrup
    If memory serves me correctly, aren't you the older sibling? In which case, Hud's username should be John's brother...

I like to ride my bicycle
    Brett, is it? G'day.

Yes, I'm the older brother, but as far as bikes and forums go Hud is more experienced and mature than me

Calling myself Hud's brother sort of gives me some instant credibility on the forum. Maybe.

fan of maple syrup
    Quote Originally Posted by Hud's brother
    Calling myself Hud's brother sort of gives me some instant credibility on the forum. Maybe.
    I get what you mean .... kinda like buying an iPod to get instant street-cred as opposed to some other (more useful) player.

So what time are we thinking for the morning? I can do anytime, but I have 2 mates interested in coming along who aren't morning people, so they may be more likely to embrace a 9am start. But if the consensus is for earlier, that doesn't bother me.

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Earlier is better, j_775 do you you have a time you have to be back by? I'd prefer closer to 8 but 9 would be okay.

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    C'mon all you other lurkers, let's make it a big MTBR ride, Woody, Pagey,Waldog, Sicwombat make an effort! We'll show those Taswegians how do do an MTBR gathering!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Hud
    C'mon all you other lurkers, let's make it a big MTBR ride, Woody, Pagey,Waldog, Sicwombat make an effort! We'll show those Taswegians how do do an MTBR gathering!!

Sheesh... soon you mainlanders will be handing out mtbr stickers too

fan of maple syrup
    Quote Originally Posted by All Mountain
    Sheesh... soon you mainlanders will be handing out mtbr stickers too
    Freaky coincidence ... some o' them stickers just landed on my desk in an envelope a few minutes ago. I have a vague memory of asking someone for them about 6 - 8 months ago but I can't remember who.

Hud I can do 8am start, but I'll be pushing it to convince the crew for that start time. I'll PM or SMS you later in the day.

Scott is a tool.
    Righto, count me in. I fear that my level of fitness will be shot to pieces, but i'll give it a good bash. Where are we meeting, and what time?

Wal.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by nuclear_powered
    Freaky coincidence ... some o' them stickers just landed on my desk in an envelope a few minutes ago. I have a vague memory of asking someone for them about 6 - 8 months ago but I can't remember who.

.... sounds like Low_Rider.

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Perfect weather is forcast, we can take it cruisiley out of consideration of the lame and unfit - if no-one has time constraints.
    How about we aim to be kitted up and ready to roll by 9am, if Nukes sleepy mates are a bit late it won't matter.
    Meet at the Smiths Gully store at melways 263e3.

Scott is a tool.
    Perfect weather is forcast, we can take it cruisiley out of consideration of the lame and unfit - if no-one has time constraints.
    How about we aim to be kitted up and ready to roll by 9am, if Nukes sleepy mates are a bit late it won't matter.
    Sounds like a winner too me. Now, don't get me wrong i'm not hideously unfit, i just doubt that i'm in the same calibre of yourself and others, but i will give it a good crack no doubt about that!!

Will be sweet, can't wait!!

Wal.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Bugger, I'm gonna have to catch you fellas another Saturday.. Diary suddenly has an entry I can't change.. Will be out there Sunday morning though, so can pick up any bits/riders you lose along the way.. Have a safe one.

mtbr member
    Dame - I'd love to come but I'm in Wagga for the weekend. I'm going to check out some trails while I'm there.

I'm up for the next trip - keep me updated
    cheers
    Pagey

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

St andrews it is.

Hey hud, Im there. Looking forward to it.

Cheers.

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Cool, it seems there is going to be quite a crowd if sicwombat is coming too. My mobile is 0427100469 if you need it.

Hayden

Scott is a tool.
    I'm pumped!!

Scott is a tool.
    Hey Hud, isn't 264 e3?

Wal

Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast