Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Thread: St Andrews

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    I'll probably be going out there sometime over the four days, give me a hoy if you go and we can see what works out. J_775 thought it was a great ride ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

St.A's very tidy..

Thanks Hud for playing ride leader last weekend. Really enjoyable trails, lots of variety and none of that groomed trail Lysterfield stuff, all proper mtb. I was trying to work out all the trails we hit on Google maps but it all kind of gets lost around Clinton's Rd and all the firetrails that aren't shown on the maps. NucPowered, I can higly recommend the riding out there. Really good hitout for fitness as well, but I'd want to do it with a group that know where they're going, otherwise you'd spend a lot of time just riding dirt roads. Hud and his mates have it all dialled and have a sweet 40+km loop that we did most of. I was going to explore around Blue Lake this weekend, but if you guys are keen to hit up St.Andrews again, I'd be up for that depending on your timing. Also NP if you don't have a car I did the train from Heidelberg to Hursty then about an 8k road ride to the store at Smith's Gully. Nice warm up to get the legs ready for some hills.

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    I'm planning on heading out on tuesday, the weather is meant to be better by then. Company would be good as my regular mates are not available.

fan of maple syrup
    Quote Originally Posted by Hud
    I'm planning on heading out on tuesday, the weather is meant to be better by then. Company would be good as my regular mates are not available.
    I could definitely be in for that - just looked at BoM site and thought the same thing about the weather. I'll PM on Monday if that's the case. 40km loop takes how long you reckon? few hours?

As it stands I'm heading to You Yangs with my mates tomorrow. Probably the worst day to do it in terms of weather, but I haven't had a mudder for a while now so I figure why not. Plus the trails are really well built out there so they can stand being ridden on wet. Might try and look for the new bit of trail they were working on last weekend - supposed to be linking Western Plantation with Stockyards. I'm assuming it will start near/on the top of the ridge the DH tracks all start from.

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Huge rain in Geelong and district at the moment according to the BOM radar. From what I've heard the Youies are pretty good in the wet, but this is serious looking rain.
    ST A is pretty good after rain but not during, as the tracks channel water
    The loop can be done in 2.5 - 3 hours, depending on how intense you want to be.
    I'll confirm monday too.
    Others welcome!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

No St.A for me..

I'm unfortunately out for Tues due to other commitments. Have a safe one.

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Hope to head out Sat. AM, weather and conditions should be perfect. I'll be trialling the alternative to the One Tree Hill climb.
    Nuke_P or J_775?

fan of maple syrup
    Potentially. I'll PM you by 4pm today. Does this alternative to One Tree Hill add much in the way of time?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Huzzah.. I have an approved leave pass for tomorrow morning. What time are you setting off?? Still starting at Smith's Gully??

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Good ride again.. More new trails to add to the loop out there. Hud, did you guys see the big buck just after we parted ways?? Spinning my way up the road and this huge buck with a full set of antlers runs out about 10m in front of me, kind of freezes, snorts, then charges off the side of the road down towards the creek where you guys were headed.. All happened pretty quick. Think I'd rather meet Yarra trails snakes that that again.

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Thats incredible! We didn't hear or see anything. It also makes our echidna sightings pretty insignificant.
    Actually we have had deer in our vegie patch and we don't even live in the bush. The other side of the road from us is 1/4 acre house blocks and our side is 2 acre blocks with a tiny bit of bush behind us, yet we've seen deer jumping our metre high fence. It would seem they get around like foxes.
    I really liked the new stuff even though part of it was a stickfest. The rocky downhill was not as steep as the One Tree hillI descent, much more enjoyable IMO. Also I have a plan to avoid the last boring gravel downhill (before we made the wrong turn to the right) which hopefully will involve a bit more singletrack. We found a track while you were repairing Johns puncture.
    Also the stuff along Salters Rush road should be fun with a bit of work.
    On Sunday we went out for a bushwalk and general poke around the Steeles Ck area (Directly north of Yarra Glen.) We found that the Old Kinglake rd is now gated off and is a nice gradual middle ring climb on clay/gravel up to Mt Beggary then almost all the way to Kinglake. We intend riding up here next sat. almost to Kinglake then returning along Mt Jerusalem track which comes back down to the same area. It should be great.
    This area is also acessible from the north end of Rifle Range Reserve (near the cut down pine tree) There is a track going down behind this tree to Buttermans track which you cross and head up Marshalls road To Mt Everard track. The start of Marshalls road is just visible on the Melways page of the area if you are interested in looking. My new topo map has been getting a workout today.

mtbr member
    Anyone know where I can get a trail map (showing single trails) for the St Andrews / Kinglake area?
    cheers
    Pagey

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    I've got a topographical map of the area but it doesn't have any singletracks on it.
    Orca edition 1 has a ride 'smiths' gully saunter' but the ride is pretty hopeless IMO. It will give you a bit of an idea of the area though.

I am right!

oh deer

Anyone ever been 'honked' by a deer? A pleasant experience that all should try and combine with a ride at least once!

They remain still (the you can't see me theory) until you get too close, then they blast out a honk (meant to induce a WTF response from tigers etc...in their native habitat) and then they POQ.

One of the loudest sounds i've heard. Like an air horn next to your ear. The deafness lasts for days!

Anyway, i digress. Anyone riding St. Andrews over the xmas/new year period?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    If anyone wants to hook up for a ride, I'm pretty keen to head out there Sat am, and at least once more over the break. Probably just train it to Hurstbridge again.

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    I'd be keen to head out friday or saturday.

Edit: Saturday is now out, but friday is very likely. Early will be the go as it'll be warmish.
    Last edited by Hud; 12-23-2007 at 03:59 PM.

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    I havn't got anyone to ride with yet, anyone keen? It's not much fun on your own.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Hi Hud, Unfortuneately I can only do Satdee due to work commitments. Going to be a hot day, but I need to HTFU, so a hot ride it will have to be. Have a safe one if you go Friday.

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Never mind, I'll just take the camera as company. I hafta work Satdee.
    If you do it on sat. check out Flat Rock Rd. It finishes in Hurstbridge. Apparently there is a ST along the whole length (swaps side to side - Ridge Road-esque?)which may be worth incorporating. Hursty is the low point.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Good job! But wait there's more..

Thanks for the info, will see if it can be found on the way back to Hursty.. Hope you survived your solo mission in the heat.. Get some shots of that tasty fun meadow section??

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Not sure what you mean about the meadow section?? Didn't take the camera anyway.Piker was a last minute inclusion, it's not great to ride some of those remote sections by oneself.
    Yeah it was pretty hot out there, cool breeze on the ridges and the shop verandah though.

A couple of things:
    We rode the new track off the edge of Salters Rush road. Go around the gate in front of the old curved roof shed and follow your nose. Good fun.

Towards the bottom of Ridge road descent there is some coils of rusty wire half on the track. I shouldve moved it. Throw it out of the way when you go down, it was near where the dead kangaroo was.

mtbr member
    any of you regular riders feel like putting together a trail map for us :-)
    cheers
    Pagey

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Quote Originally Posted by pagey
    any of you regular riders feel like putting together a trail map for us :-)
    Hmm..thats a bit above my ability- getting it done on computer anyway.
    Best bet is to come on one of Huds Rides or go with J_775 or Nukepowered, they know the area pretty well now.
    We won't be too hard on ya.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Different ride out there in the heat, really good workout though. Bit sketchy with lots of marbles after the rain. Knee and wrist got all intimate with the dirt at the bottom of Ridge rd too. First proper off on the new bike and got out lucky with only a scuffed quick release, so all good. The meadow section I was referring to is that nice ST section after climbing up Broadacres Rd.

I am right!
    Thanks for showing me around out there Hud, was a hot ride out there. I'm looking forward to getting out there on a lighter rig, single speed perhaps!

I did my best to shift that fence wire on the move, guess i wasn't sideways enough....

Will be back for sure. Night riding would be killer on some of those trails![/LIST]

Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast