Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17 23 24 25 26 27

Thread: St Andrews

ndc
    mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Anyone riding out in this area this Good Friday? I've never been and would love to follow someone's lead, if willing.

I'm still fairly new to off-road (2+ months now) but not new to cycling (6+ years). I've been riding every weekend (Lysterfield, Candlebark, Yarra Flats, Stromlo [ACT], Majura Pines [ACT]) and I'll give almost anything a go!
    Last edited by ndc; 04-04-2012 at 04:12 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Guys are there any maps on Garmin connect ?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Hi all,

I only heard about the tracks at StA the other day on Rotorburn, was pointed to this thread which I have just read in its entirety! Looks like there is a good group of people using the track, however I have noticed that in the last few months there have been no posts by Hud or anyone riding there anymore? Any particular reason? Would hate to be excited about going only to hear that that they aren't rideable anymore. I live in Eltham and am keen for a ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pfullarton View Post
    Hi all,

I only heard about the tracks at StA the other day on Rotorburn, was pointed to this thread which I have just read in its entirety! Looks like there is a good group of people using the track, however I have noticed that in the last few months there have been no posts by Hud or anyone riding there anymore? Any particular reason? Would hate to be excited about going only to hear that that they aren't rideable anymore. I live in Eltham and am keen for a ride.
    Trails are definitely still used and are always in good nick.

mtbr member
    @pfullarton, I still haven't gotten out there myself. I have been meaning to for quite a while. Yet I think my St Andrews trip will have to wait another few weeks, as last weekend a group of us rode up at Mt Buller. Had an awesome day's riding. This weekend we are off to the You Yangs, then the following weekend I am hoping to squeeze in another day at Buller before it snows too much.
    Earth Wind and Water - Capture the Action
    http://www.earthwindwater.com.au

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    I'm still here. Been busy with getting married and moving house etc. I actually rode to Kinglake via Everard fireroad a week or two ago. A great training ride starting from the smiths gully store.
    The twenty-nine inch wheel.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Any st A rides coming up soon?

fan of maple syrup
    It's safe to say there'll be many folk out there pretty much every weekend. But it does seem the number of organised rides here is dropping off a little. Maybe Hud was the glue that held us all together and since he went and found love this thread's become a bit of a ghost town

With_the_band and I were out there on Sunday for a decent lap-o-the trails. For the first time we decided to park at the bottom of Ridge Rd - the theory being that you get to end the ride on the endorphin high of a wicked descent, rather than a gut busting climb back to the SGGS.

Our loop took us up Alma, along LG road to 5ways, up LG rd to the entrance to Bunjil from that side. Havent ridden this in years and wanted to check out how the trail work we did near Panton Hill was holding up. Have to say it seems to be doing its job with the rain since. All the plants are still in the ground, the rocks are in place, the drain pipes are draining, and once PV finish it of with their proposed crushed rock, it'll be mint.

We rode Bunjil to the mineshafts, back onto LG rd, 5ways again, up Broadacres, along Clinton to Rob Roy, down to Happy, then the new stuff on the west side - my first time on this, had to walk to top but the ride down was Mega awesome.

Down Happy, cross EYG to Mitchells climb, which now seems to incorporate Huds section by default. Up to top of Ridge, then down to cars.

Crossed paths with on 5 other riders. Quiet morning. 28km according to phone. Tough riding out there ... always is.

Knackered for rest of day, happily watched Cats take the Dees at Kardinia from the couch all arvo.

Would love to build a creek side trail along EYG rd to extend this loop another 5-10 km by incorporating Motchalls and Gilles .. prob more than 10 actually since it would add the Rob Roy climb. But I've been saying that for years ... should just shovel up and do it.

Getting Addicted
    The Rides will happen again...one day...
    Yes this is Hud posting under my wifes login...Is this an example of my domestication??

fan of maple syrup
    Quote Originally Posted by Shells View Post
    Yes this is Hud posting under my wifes login...Is this an example of my domestication??
    No, it's just plain odd ... go turn on your own computer or grab your own smartphone!!

Hey we never had a Buller Bucks weekend. I think we should use that as an excuse once summer returns and the lifts re-open.

Until then though ... we really should go ride out at Smiths Gully sometime. Given how little you seem to have been riding, we'll never be closer to each other in fitness

fan of maple syrup
    Quote Originally Posted by nuclear_powered View Post
    ... wanted to check out how the trail work we did near Panton Hill was holding up. Have to say it seems to be doing its job with the rain since. All the plants are still in the ground, the rocks are in place, the drain pipes are draining, and once PV finish it of with their proposed crushed rock, it'll be mint.
    Update:

Was out that way today buying a weeping grevillea for our front yard. Took Sally to see the work we had done and discovered some more rock has been delivered and laid out over the 'bridge'. Whoever did the section between the two drainage pipes must be very skilled at jigsaw puzzles because the rocks are tightly packed and super flat across there. Impressive.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Anyone up for a ride this Sunday early ?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Got introduced to the smith gully loop today thanks to the brother inlaw, was a true test for my fitness due to the lack of regular riding and the drizzley rain we had this morning. Wouldn't have been as bad if it wasn't for the fact that there had been some track grooming recently... Let's say it was a little greasy and sticky! Still we had a blast and really enjoyed the challenge of playing in the mud, but look forward for the tracks to dry out and the new sections to firm up. The brother inlaw also tells me that's just the tip of the iceberg so can't wait to explore the rest of what St Andrews has to offer.

Scott is a tool.
    Wow, I really find it surprising that nothing has been posted here since May!!

N_P and I headed out to the General Store today and did a loop. Loving the work that has been done out the back of the shop and Boomers, just makes things much tidier and lots more flow. Lots of overgrowth on the trails further from the shop, especially the bottom of Ridge road, couldn't even see the trail in places.

Thanks to the trail workers, I hope to join you in the not to distant future

Tops spin today, very much enjoyed it, such a great place to ride.

mtbr member
    Anyone up for a ride out at SG this Sunday?

Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17 23 24 25 26 27