mtbr member

Spur of the moment, late night, online shopping!

I have just learnt a lesson in spur of the moment, late night, online shopping!!!

I needed a new cassette, chain and tyre so went online to order and then saw a set of wheels that seemed good value. As a new bike is on the cards in the new year, I didn’t want to spend too much as this current bike will be my “spare”. Onto the order the wheelset went without much thought (or thorough reading of the entire description!). Credit card charged and off to bed!

Order arrived yesterday and my wife gives me a call at work to say that my “cassette, chain and tyre” have arrived in a box that seems “very large” for just three small items!!!
    I get home and open the box and it takes approximately three seconds to come to the realisation that I have ordered a wheelset which has a 15mm front hub! My fork is 9mm!!! In desperation I check the online description and sure enough (now clear as day!!!) it states 15mm hub!!!!

Now it seems that there is no conversion kit! My “good value” excuse has gone in the eyes of my wife so no chance of picking up a new fork!! I now have a five day weekend of which most of will be consumed listening to sarcastic comments from my wife about bargain hunting and how pretty those wheels look all nice, clean and unridden!!!!

Lesson learnt!!!

fan of maple syrup
    I'm assuming you can't return it? In which case, major bummer dude. I have friends who make late night purchases, sometimes under the influence of alcohol. Although their stories sound more amusing since they find things being delivered that they don't remember purchasing. I've always meant to try and be present during one of these sessions - in a less enebriated state - so I can order some parts for myself, then offer to buy it from them at a heavily discounted rate once it arrives. "That jersey's way to big for you dude, but check out how perfectly it fits me!"

In any case, I say just buy the new fork. You're going to upgrade eventually - everyone does. Why delay the inevitable?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    i did something similar... i purchased 2 items not realising there was a 3rd item in the cart that i was going to purchase previously!

Rep Power Infinity +2
    My wife and I have an unwritten rule, if I get bike stuff she gets shoes, handbags, jewellery or a combination of all 3 depending on how much I spend. Stops any sarcastic comments on my purchases.