Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by waldog View Post
    Update.

Hoping to be at the gorge at around 1900 tomorrow, traffic dependant.

Bring on night time rocks.
    OK cool 7pm we can do. Hope it's not quite so cold as tonight, but we will manage.
    Kariboo Grove (the usual meeting place)?

Cheers,
    Emerson

mtbr member
    I'm in.

I hope the Gorge is still intact after our little seismic event!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    See you there.

fan of maple syrup
    Quote Originally Posted by cowpat View Post
    See you there.
    [sets reminder to bring your roll of dbl sided velcro that I haven't returned since last year]

Scott is a tool.
    yip, kariboo.

We have quite the little gathering coming along.

Scott is a tool.
    Quote Originally Posted by nuclear_powered View Post
    [sets reminder to bring your roll of dbl sided velcro that I haven't returned since last year]
    Off topic..... but this sounds rather dubious......

fan of maple syrup
    Quote Originally Posted by waldog View Post
    Off topic..... but this sounds rather dubious......
    Your smutty nurse-brain would go there ...

Just been outside trying to run in 2 sets of pads ... mighty effin windy! Hope we don't have to clear too many trees (or have any fall upon one of us).

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    We had six turn up for our Plenty Gorge ride last Wednesday - great fun in the dark!

There is some interest in the idea of a partners and families ride day, perhaps with BBQ lunch. Suggestions floated so far have been Lysterfield and You Yangs (Kurrajong side). Given that the weather isn't very encouraging at the moment, I thought we should aim to do this in Spring. This will cater for entry-level riders, and provide a good opportunity to meet everyone properly. Please indicate your preference for location and timing in reply to this message.

mtbr member
    Got out early yesterday to Smiths Gully. Most trails in very good nick despite the rain a few days prior.

Pretty good forecast for this week and for Sunday.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Sounds like it will be a good day. Seems likely we should have about 10-12 along for the ride. Hopefully some decent weather will entice a bigger turnout, but even having just a few riders along is worthwhile for me. (I just need someone else there to make me look like I know what I'm doing!)

Cheers,
    Emerson

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by emerthis View Post
    We had six turn up for our Plenty Gorge ride last Wednesday
    Might get out again on the north side tomorrow night if anyone is keen.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I should be home in time for that, and the weather is looking good at the moment. Thursday night shop ride will also be on from Cycle House in Para Rd at 6.30pm.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Can't make it tonight. Maybe next week.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Smiths Gully ride 1/7/12

Smiths Gully was a blast. Fair turn-out of 15 riders too! Only one broken chain (quickly fixed) and my cleat slipping out of place held us up mechanically, so I say thanks to everyone for having their bikes in good running order.

It's hard work out there. 21km over 1 hour and 20 minutes riding. Plenty of stops were had to allow everyone to recover and regroup, but the trails we rode held up brilliantly in the wet, and we managed to finish up just before the icy rain came in =)

Thanks to those who helped organise the ride, Ben & Simon for keeping the group together, and everyone else for turning up and having a great time!

Cheers,
    Emerson

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

MTB Melbourne Buxton ride, 15/7/12

Despite the weather looking fairly ominous, and some pretty low temperatures, we had a very good turn-out of 14 riders for what was the first time at Buxton MTB Park for most of us. The majority of us met at Healesville for coffee and bakery goods, where we spent a lazy hour getting to know each other and chatting about rides, bikes, races, and le Tour.

The traffic across the Black Spur wasn’t too bad, and within another half hour we were at the trailhead in Buxton. The group consisted of riders from as far away as Knox, with local knowledge courtesy of Will, Leith & Simon. Our first loop around the easier main loop took us almost 2 hours, as we had many stops to regroup, with much mid-ride chatting while waiting for the tail-enders. This included me, to ensure we all got around OK. Brad had a small issue with a little bridge near the start, but no harm was done and we continued on unaffected.

The trails were very wet, but held up remarkably well to the downpour which hit them the night before. There was a lot of water on the trail but no really deep mud holes or really claggy gloop for the most part. The climbs were easy enough, with many switchbacks to keep it interesting and not too steep. The descents were often edged with berms and interspersed with small jumps and well signposted obstacles, making for great fun after the hard work of climbing.

At the end of the first loop we returned to the carpark, where many of the riders called it a day, having other commitments to attend to later that day. It was good in that we managed a good ride and finished by lunch time, to get back to families and loved ones.

Several of us continued out on a second, shorter loop. Somehow Ben managed to break his chain, seemingly through sheer power alone. This gave him ample opportunity to get his bike nice and clean by the time the rest of us got back. I survived the climb, but clipped a stump on the descent, and broke my chain, leaving me to freewheel the last few hundred metres back to the carpark, rather than standing around making repairs that we were fully equipped to handle.

Will’s trace tells the tale of just over 18km ridden in total, and he was only moving for about 75 minutes – but it was a satisfying day, with the varying abilities well catered for on the day.

The legendary Buxton Burger was sampled and devoured. The little roadhouse was cosy and dilapidated – but the food was fantastic. Perfect for a post-ride feed!

See you all next time,

Emerson =)

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    New rides being posted on the facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/events/328618283888766/

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Forrest trails yesterday were mostly wet, but damn there is some good riding there!

More rides are being posted on the facebook page, now with dates proposed up to the end of this year - monthly, rather than the overly hectic schedule of every fortnight. Jump in and make a suggestion if you have any good ideas - or just come along and enjoy the riding!

Cheers,
    Emerson

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    New rides posted.

16/9/12 - Castlemaine
    14/10/12 - Redesdale
    18/11/12 - Lysterfield family & partners day
    16/12/12 - Mt Buller

Check out the facebook page linked above for more details.
    For those non-fb types, we are developing a website but it's a work in progress...
    Last edited by emerthis; 09-09-2012 at 03:59 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    New rides posted.

20/01/2013 - Wombat
    10/02/2013 - Buller - after being postponed due to appalling weather last week
    16/03/2013 - Anglesea
    21/04/2013 - secret ride. TBA

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2