mtbr member

Silvan Top Aqueduct Trail Trashed

Hi all,

I had my first ride back in Silvan for a while last friday. Some numpty had taken it upon themselves to trash the above trail. They'd moved large logs/sticks/rocks across the track every 20-50m for most of the trail. I almost came off a cropper as the first log was hidden just around a bend that carries a bit of speed.

I've cleared them off but it also looks like they've dug out part of the trail near the large stormwater drain that'll take a bit of work to fix back up. If I get time out this week I'll square it away. I havent ridden there much lately so Im not sure if this is becomming a regular thing but just thought I'd better make other users aware that someone's not happy!

One last thing, I cant make COG rides for a while due to my uni timetable but if there's any other group rides/maintenance session happening can someone let me know?!

Cheers,

Matt

fan of maple syrup
    Quote Originally Posted by Get_mounted View Post
    They'd moved large logs/sticks/rocks across the track every 20-50m for most of the trail.
    Sure it wasn't Steve just trying to make the trail more challenging?

mtbr member
    I guess it could have been, he'd be able to ride under the chest-high logs

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Went out on saturday morning, also noticed someone had done simular. I didnt see any chest high logs, so you must have done a good job to remove them . but every log roll over had been tampered with along with the said drain you mention. Hud was going back to apply some of his own maintenance. We continued and rode the lower trail back that also had numerous things placed across the track including large rocks, fence post with barbed wire and all the log roll overs had logs missing.

Unfortunate thing to see, we cleared all the dangerous stuff away and whats left remains ridable. Just be carefull out there for a little while I suggest.

nothing to see here
    ha de freakin' ha you lot. just wait until I'm back on the bike. pain for all.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Oh I forgot to mention, if anyone happens to find a specialized bike computer on the silvan trails please pick it up for me!

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    I went out monday afternoon and there was more of the same but not so much. One rollover re-wrecked and another knee high branch stuck in the way. The concrete ditch was still ok, I had filled it with logs/branches. The biggest rollover hadn't been touched again. On the lower track only the fencepost with wire was back. We're winning???
    Frustrating stuff...
    The twenty-nine inch wheel.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Do we have any idea who is doing this, a few weeks ago i found planks of wood with nails in them that had been dug into the dirt just below ground level with the nails pointed up, this was in olinda near the old downhill track in the pines. Plus a couple of months ago i came accross some really heavy gauge fishing wire tied between 2 trees in doongalla on my way home from an olinda ride. I wish people would think their actions through before doing this stupid stuff.

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    This is third hand but apparently there was a council car at the aquaduct today and the guy was putting sticks/rocks on the track. This is despite the area being Melbourne Water land.
    So...
    The twenty-nine inch wheel.

mtbr member
    Hmmm interesting if this is true, although I would have thought if it were the council they would be more likely to put up notices telling riders not to use the tracks or face panalties, as they have before up in the olinda pine plantation. If they really are taking this course of action it perhaps could open them up to litigation in the event of injuries....