mtbr member
    Dec 2007

seven days in Queenstown

Hi
    I am extended my trip to NZ to two months. The first week I am going to do a tour with Altitude Adventures. At the end of the tour I am considering staying a week in Queenstown to mountain bike, and to do the Jacks 8 hour.

Is there enough to occupy an avid cyclist for a week in Queenstown? I will be there in the beginning of December? Seems like this should be a good time.

Please share your thoughts.

Thanks in advance

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    Shuttles. That is all

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Riding | Queenstown Mountain Bike Club New Zealand
    There is also plenty of riding in the surrounding area.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Yep, I suggest there is enough riding to keep you occupied In and around Queenstown for at least a week.

Possible itinerary - with a XC / 1/2 day plus focus:

Day 1 - Jacks Point 8 hour.
    Day 2 - ride out to 7 mile, a couple of loops, ride back to town, could include a ride up the Gondola
    Day 3 - Moonlight/Moke Lake loop
    Day 4 - Macetown
    Day 5 - Wakatipu trail - Town, Arrowtown via Lake Hayes, Gibbston Valley back on the new Wakatipu Trail to Frankton
    Day 6 - Touhys Guly - this is a 40 minute car trip from town, 2 to 3 hour loop with a lunch at the iconic Cardrona Pub
    Day 7 - Skippers Canyon - return via zoot.

I have not included a day riding the gondola, or the all day epic of Remarkables, Coal pit sadde ride (which is often helibiked), or trip to Wanaka for a blast around West Wanaka/Sticky Forest (which you could combine with Day 6).

Day 1 to 5 and 7 you could ride to all of the trailheads on trails from town. Queenstown is fast becoming a mountain biking mecca. We do not have the extensive forested trails of Rotorua, but have plenty of awesome trail networks and open riding in the back country.

Feel free to PM with any questions. A keen local, with some ideas on how to link a few days together and will most likely be supporting at the Jacks Point 8 hour. I may be able to throw some drink bottles at you for an hour an or two if required during the race.

B

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Thanks very much

mtbr member
    we chucked our bikes on the earnslaw and spent the day biking up the lake to mt nicholas and up the von river valley, then return to walter peak for coffee and sit in the sun watching the tourists oohhing and ahhing at the sheep dogs and waiting for the boat to come and pick you up again ... an awesome day out
    "old enough to know better. too old to care."