mtbr member

Scott 24 hours MTB challenge

I have been convinced to join a team of 4 or 6 to ride at Stromlo on 8/9 October in the "Scott 24 Hours of Adrenalin Australian 24 Hour Mountain Bike Championships"

corc24hour dot com dot au

Has anyone done anything like this?

Am I crazy?

mtbr member
    I did the Mont 24hr earlier this year in a team of 4. I would say I had moderate fitness then and it was tough. We were not going for the win or any sort of position but we didnt really want to stop riding overnight either (which we didnt). They are great fun to do and even though it hard to get up at 5am to do another lap its very rewarding, and with a bit of luck you might get the sun rise lap, I hear thats pretty special.

We were talking about doing this one as well but nobody has done anything about it, yet.

And hey, when you go into work on Monday and people say 'what did you do on the weekend', you can say you did a 24hr MTB race!!

mtbr member
    thanks Ben - we are now a team of 3 (middle aged weekend warriors) as the 4th has retired hurt.

We are looking for others to join the team and have some fun in Canberra on the 8/9 October.

Transport from Melbourne is available.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Done it 6 times (first one was in 1999), run it three times. It's a pretty fun event and the Stromlo course is pretty special (well I like it).

Liam from swell design (a sponsor from the very start) put this little vid together

Scott 24 Hour Mountain Bike Race - YouTube

Basically shows a section of what will be the blue lap this year - tracks on the north and western side of Stromlo (Little Seymor and Double Dissolution me thinks). This year there is a red and a blue lap (you will have to do both to complete full lap) with tthe red going over the top and the blue round the side and back. Both have about the same amount of climbing.

Words of advice - get your camp ordered, take as many pair of nicks as laps (putting on wet nicks at 3am just plain sucks), take stuff to keep warm, have your bike in really good order and take plenty of lube.

I'll be thinking of you all this year as the sun sets on the tropical island that I will be sunning my self on that weekend.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I'm certainly interested in joining a team for this event?

MTB Noob
    Jan 2010
    I live only minutes from Stromlo (lucky me) and if you've never ridden there, TAKE TUBES! Unless you run a high pressure, there are hundreds of spots where you will (not can) catch a rock and get a pinch. The course last year was not easy and in a 4 team you will have your work cut out.

That said the trails at Stromlo are second to NONE! For any recommendations, hit up the Scott 24hr website. There will be plenty of chatter going on there. 24hr races are an awesome way to test out your skill and more so your endurance.

p.s. Do HEAPS of night training and get great lights.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by evi1twin View Post
    I live only minutes from Stromlo (lucky me) and if you've never ridden there, TAKE TUBES! Unless you run a high pressure, there are hundreds of spots where you will (not can) catch a rock and get a pinch. The course last year was not easy and in a 4 team you will have your work cut out.

That said the trails at Stromlo are second to NONE! For any recommendations, hit up the Scott 24hr website. There will be plenty of chatter going on there. 24hr races are an awesome way to test out your skill and more so your endurance.

p.s. Do HEAPS of night training and get great lights.
    thanks for the heads up.

It's my first crack at an enduro....and I'm 41 years old!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    agree with above, from one of the guys who is helping set the course this year before going on holiday run about 36psi or you will flat.
    lights, get two sets helmet and handlebar. helmet lights are a must for looking around corners, handle bars for lighting up whats in front.
    +2 on night riding, build your confidence. stromlo in parts is SWEET (look up skyline on youtube and start salivating) but other parts are techy but its soooo worth it.

MTB Noob
    Jan 2010
    Yeah exactly, when they map the course they usually try to steer away from the tracks like Skyline, Cockatoo, etc. (the ones that get used regularly) and try go with some lesser known trails. So great idea to come the weekend before and ride some of the trails away from the front face.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    skyline is pretty much guaranteed on the red loop but the blue loop can have some changes as they close some routes due to damage and open new singletrack

MTB Noob
    Jan 2010
    Very true, all trails are in TOP nick at the moment. So unless we get some real heavy rain prior to the Scott, nothing should change too much

mtbr member
    Good luck to all on the weekend. We want to see some mud shots!!

mtbr member
    Trails are great. The rocks add a while new dimension.

Some of the riders up here are doing insane times. Me, I just want to stay vertical.
    I was shocked to learn that being 40 meant that I was a 'veteran'.....I still believe that I am 29

mtbr member
    Photos???

: )
    -
    BikeThreads.com.au
    T-Shirts and stuff for fellow bike nuts.

mtbr member
    sportograf were all over the mountain. apparently they took around 50,000 shots. here is a sample

Sportograf 2011

and here are some randoms from my iPhone Flickr: campbellreillys' Photostream

had a great weekend. One fall on the rocks. Bike didn't fair too well. The rocky trails really gave the XTC hardtail a workout!

mtbr member
    Nice one, looks like a fun weekend. Cant say you didn't have a go, you've got the blood to prove it!!

MTB Noob
    Jan 2010
    Some great shots there mate, stoked that the weather held out for ya. If that 'rock section' is the one i'm thinking of (just before crossing the fire road to home trail)... it's a doosie!! Didn't ya suss out the B line to the right of it? ha ha.

As long as you enjoyed ya self!