Thread: RP23 seal kit

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

RP23 seal kit

heyas

i want to service this shock, but i am having trouble finding a reasonable price for a seal kit. i have looked on american websites you can get them for about $15 tops, my LBS wants $70 for it. and out of all the shops i rang it was the only one that even stock it.

any help would be much appreciated internet or shop doesnt matter im in melbourne by the way

thanks guys

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    I think Cowpat may have done a bulk order of these kits. He'll be along sometime.
    The twenty-nine inch wheel.

Rep Power Infinity +2
    These guys have them at a good price http://northernbeachescycles.com.au/...roducts_id=731

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Go with the link above or similar - it's the easiest thing if you're not familiar with o-ring sizes etc.

I've gone to the local bearing suppliers and ordered the o-rings and quad-ring individually. Total cost was about $15 or so for 5 sets. The white plastic retainers seem to last ok so I haven't bothered with them. I use a few drops of fork oil instead of the "special" fluid. If you want the part numbers for the rings I can have a look and post them up.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    thanks brad perfect have ordered 2 sets!

that would be good cowpat if i could have the numbers would be great thats something i would like to do in the future save me some cash

also are you replacing your seals everytime or you just give them a lube up? and how often are you doing this?

thanks guys

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    If it's your regular ride I suggest doing a service approximately every year. More if you ride a lot, less if you don't.

Replace the seals.

Doesn't sound like you need the part numbers for a while yet.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    yeah i think what i will do is just relube the seals regularly every couplr of months or so then replace the seals once a year, that should give the shock plenty of life

thanks mate

melon farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by LoZzA199
    heyas

i want to service this shock, but i am having trouble finding a reasonable price for a seal kit. i have looked on american websites you can get them for about $15 tops, my LBS wants $70 for it. and out of all the shops i rang it was the only one that even stock it.

any help would be much appreciated internet or shop doesnt matter im in melbourne by the way

thanks guys
    Holy fock! Was it $70 for the kit alone or $70 for kit and install? Do you wanna name the LBS so I can avoid them when I go back to Melbourne?

I pay about $30 locally for the kit - takes 20 min to do the install.