mtbr member

Rotorua accomodation in September/October

The wife and I are hoping to spent some time in Rotorua from about the 22nd of September until the 5th of October. Has anyone got any advice regarding what the most mtb friendly places to stay might be?

mtbr member
    we have been staying at the alpin motel in sala street ... its clean and comfortable, the friendly owners are keen mountainbikers, it has a heated pool [about 31degC] and sauna/steamroom, plus each unit has a private plunge pool ... it is an easy 15 minute walk down fenton street to town/supermarket but thats not a bad thing as there are a couple of cafes you have to walk past each way, but best of all it is just under 3 km to the waipa carpark and the trails [less if you want to bike up the hill from longmile road] so you can leave the car at home and just bike into the forest each time ... i think there is even secure bike storage if you don't want your lounge cluttered up with bikes ... i had to leave my bike and luggage there over one weekend, so the owners stored it all in their spare bedroom ...

link to their website: alpin motel
    "old enough to know better. too old to care."

mtbr member
    Thanks mate. I'll look into that one.

Some others we are looking at are Amora Lake Resort; Jack & Di's Lake View Penthouse; Quality Inn on Fenton.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    also recommend the Alpin motel.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    We've stayed at the Redwood Holiday Park for the past five years or so - it's pretty much the closest accommodation to the Redwood/Whaka forest, is bike friendly, relatively cheap and the owners are great to deal with.

Their accommodation ranges from camping sites to a two bedroom house - we've stayed in the small house a few times, and it's been fantastic - self contained (except for laundry) with a decent kitchen and bathroom, and a large lounge are with a covered deck out the front (We normally locked our bikes up on the deck).

Definitely worth a look in my opinion

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I've stayed at Alpin lodge a couple of times and would highly recommend....

mtbr member
    Thanks guys. Just booked the Alpin Motel.