fave trail?

fave city... why? (controversial!)

other sports?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Where you live? (suburb, city, state)
    Eastwood, Sydney, NSW

How often do you ride?
    at least weekly.... used to ride heaps more but marriage slowed me down.... now getting back into it... at one point i was doing the blue mtns 2x a month

Style of riding?
    commuting for fitness.... eastwood to parramatta at least weekly... and getting back into trail riding BUT i used to love technical single trails

occupation?
    Rehabilitation Consultant/Social Worker/Rehabilitation Counsellor

bike you own?
    '97 Apollo Himalaya.... full 7005 Aluminium frame, cheapie rims, Alivio running gear, V-brakes, RST381 shocks.... yeah need new bike!

bike you aspire to own?
    At the moment, strongly considering a GT idrive 3.0.... i would love a VTone!

fave trail?
    oakes fire trail.... but i find it is the company that makes a big difference... i love riding with a big group

S Y D N E Y...... cause i'm born and bred here in this crazy city..... i also rate melbourne, adelaide and launceston highly....

other sports?
    i love playing squash.... used to big on basketball and volleyball.... also love cars

TR
    Angry bunny
    Toowoomba QLD (approx 1.5hrs outside of Brisbane

How often do you ride?
    Try to do 2 x 1/2 hour hill climbing sets and at least one decent ride per week. Plan to ramp that up to also include 2 x 1hr trainer sets.

Style of riding?
    XC

occupation?
    Financial Planner

bike you own?
    20.5" XTC NRS Pro Series frame
    Race Face Deus Stem
    Race Face XY seatpost
    Truvativ Team Stylo cranks
    WTB Speed V saddle
    Easton EC90 handlebar
    Avid Mechanical disks
    Avid Speed Dial Ultimate levers
    XTR shifters, front & rear derailleur
    Time ATAC pedals
    Geax Sturdy tyres (currently giving a set of IRC Serac's a run)
    Noleen Mega Air fork (set at 100mm and perhaps the only one in Australia)

bike you aspire to own?
    Pretty happy with the NRS. Wouldn't mind a Truth if I had the $. Am also looking for a decent but cheap hardtail to SS.

fave trail?
    Not really. Anything with dirt under the wheels and some good riding buddies on it with me.

Not really (and I have lived or visited most of them)

other sports?
    Snow Skiing

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Essendon, Melbourne, Victoria

How often do you ride?

Nearly every day. Mostly commuting to and from work. That's 160km a week straight off. I don't get off road as much as I'd like.

Style of riding?

Road & XC

occupation?

Technical officer with a mining company

bike you own?

1998 Kona Explosif with XT drivetrain, Manitou Black Comp fork, XTR V Brakes and hubs, Mavic 517 rims, IRC Mythos tyres, Easton EA70 flat bars, Race face SyStem and XY seat post.

2004 Jamis Eclipse Road bike. Reynolds 853 mainframe with carbon rear end. Basically stock standard.

bike you aspire to own?

I aspire to a Santa Cruz Blur and that will come to fruition in about 5 days time when the frame turns up. Spec goes something like this:
    Frame: Large Trans Blue with polished rear end
    Fork: Fox F100X Terralogic
    Brakes: Hope Mono Mini
    Wheels: Hope Ti XC Hubs with Mavic XM819 UST rims, Hutchinson Python tyres
    Drivetrain: SRAM X.9 shifters & rear derailleur, XT 760 Fr. derailleur, XT 760 cranks and BB, SRAM PC-99 Hollowpin chain, XT 760 11-34 tooth cassette, Shimano 540 pedals
    Other bits: Thomson seatpost, Raceface Deus stem, Maxm MX-1 flat bars, WTB Laser Stealth saddle, Cateye Enduro computer, Pedros grips.

I won't be able to resist showing it off so expect some pictures in a couple of weeks or so.

fave trail?

Lysterfield Park-SE of Melbourne. Listed in latest Australian Mountain Bike. Commonwealth games XC to be held there.

Not really although Melbourne must have something going for it if I've lived here for 16 years

other sports?

Bit of swimming. Used to play basketball. Keeping track of three young children must qualify as a sport.

Trail rider and racer
    Blackmans Bay, Hobart, Tasmania

How often do you ride?
    7 Days a week (Between 12 and 30hrs a week)

Style of riding?
    The technical the better, the bigger the climb the better too. Also i like something challenging that I really have to stop and think before I commit

occupation?
    Full time Commerce and Law undergrad and also work casually at the moment till I find a job that provides better security

bike you own?
    I own two bikes. The first being a 2004 Ellsworth Truth and the second being a 2004 Giant TCR Composite 1, Its sad to say but I spend only about 2 days a week on the Truth at the moment, which is kinda sad.....

2004 Ellsworth Truth My saddle is now atop a Thompson post with not so much setback...

2004 Giant TCR Composite 1 This thing flies along.. If only my MTB could weigh like 7Kg..

bike you aspire to own?
    Such a dangerous question. But probably a fully ridged single speed and if money grew on trees I would have Phil Wood Piss Off.

fave trail?
    I enjoyed Lidsdale out near the Blue Mountains in NSW, I love Motezumas falls up on the west coast of Tassie, and love some of local offerings too, including Breakneck, Junction cabin, and the old tram line (Which is for the majority tight half track).

I live in Hobart and love it, but I also find Sydney to be just great, I used to live there too.

other sports?
    Actually no just cycling, but I used to be involved with athletics till this

[SIZE=1]Just a side note: I have made this entire discussion a 'sticky' so it will always remain on the top of the forum.[/SIZE]
    Trev!

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003

... and if we just ...

St Ives, Sydney, NSW

How often do you ride?
    once every 2 days I try.

Style of riding?
    Aggresive XC, XC race.

occupation?
    High school student, and part time Childcare

bike you own?
    2004 Giant XTC2 Disk

bike you aspire to own?
    Hmmm, oh soo many.... A XC race fully, something trevors. A SS hardtail. A roadie(anything will do), and maybe a bike like a Santa cruz bullit

fave trail?
    Oaks and andersons. Manly Dam is also pretty cool.

There all good, I want to go to tassie for a holiday.
    other sports?
    A bit of golf and was playing Soccer.
    Attached Images Attached Images

XC rider/racer

Roll Call

Blacktown NSW

How often do you ride?

7 Days a week....averaging 160 - 200km per week
    Style of riding?

XC race, aggressive xc
    occupation?

Firefighter

bike you own?
    Giant VT3
    with
    Nokian NBX 2.1 tyres
    Maxxis Flyweight tubes
    Shimano SPD 540`s
    A few AI bolts here and there
    Minoura Bottle Cage
    Selle Italia Flite Titanium Seat
    Thomson Elite Seatpost
    Cateye Enduro 8 computer

bike you aspire to own?
    Ellsworth ID, Santa Cruz Blur, Salsa Caballero, Turner 5 -spot....all nice

fave trail?

Yellowmundee
    I live in Sydney, but do like Melbourne...it has a great atmosphere.

other sports?
    Played rep cricket and enjoy touch football for a run.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

Cul

An interview with Cul

Where you live? Geelong, Vic, Australia... Soon to be North Vancouver, BC, Canada (for a short while anyways)

How often do you ride? Not often enough, I am trying to get out MTB riding at least once every week, but with the Winter coming....

Style of riding? XC, Trail, Endurance... Anything really, I started riding 8 years ago, XC / Trail, have done a fair bit of DH in my time also... Now anything with dirt pretty much keeps me happy... I'm 20 by the way

occupation? www.farkin.net 's resident crazy Cul, weight weenie, trailrider... Hang on I don't get payed for them Basicly I make and fit "commercial" windows into buildings... at the moment we are replacing most of the MOH high rise apartment windows in Melbourne.

bike you own? I own a couple, a very old 1996/97(?) GT Pantera, its out in the shed somewhere... I just sold my Giant AC2, which was a DH bike for a few months.
    I also own an 2003 Avanti Montari, with some Avid Mech Discs and a set of Duke Race's hooked upto it...

As well as ProjectX-Cul, a CoveBike, Handjob XC; which is finaly starting to look like a bike... The rest of the drive train should be here in the next 2 weeks, so she'll be "rideable" very soon.

bike you aspire to own? An Intese XVP or EVP or Santa Cruz Blur or VP Free, whatever way, something custom spec, a factory race bike would be nice

fave trail? God that could be anything, Almost all the race courses I have raced on are good fun. I would have to say though either Ballan, Vic or the Stockyards at the YouYangs ranges... Both pretty close to home.

fave city... why?
    Cork City, Cork, Ireland: I was born there, lived there until the age of 3, Went back a few years ago, it is a VERY beautiful city, as is Ireland in general.

Manorhamilton, Lietrim, Ireland: Where my good friend Sinead (former riding buddy), and her cutiepie 4year old dauther live (my god daughter) . It also is a very nice town, small but quiet tranquil.

Geelong, Vic Australia: I have lived here since I was 3, it may smell, be covered in SMOG, and what ever else, but you cant help feeling that under all the **** there is a ncie place really... I wish the council would stop skrewing it up on us

Melbourne, Vic, Australia: Another of my personal favorites, it's quiet nice at night... Not as many hookers as Sydney

other sports? I used to be good at running till I stuffed my knee in a fall during a race... I also played quiet abit of Ice Hockey but my home teams "politics" lead to me quiting. I have only been back to the rink once, in almost two years (was every other day at a time)... Now MTB is my "thing", enduro's are great fun, I may not be the fastest but I love every minute of it...

The COVE... Getting there slowly

... Well I'll shut up now, it's good to see we got ourselves our own little forum here

-Cul
    Cul is a regretted trademark of the CulBaire Co'op Pty Ltd, as are his random ramblings and associated ********.

From the land Down Under
    Abbotsford, Melbourne, Vic.

How often do you ride?
    Commute as often as possible & ride at least one day each weekend.

Style of riding?
    As stylishly as possible. Trail, XC, SS, Road & I did DH at Mt Buller last week.

occupation?
    Corporate wage slave.

bike you own?
    Craftworks FRM125,
    SS built up from spare/found/odd parts.
    Old ridgid MTB set up as commuter-tourer,
    15 year old Ti road bike,

bike you aspire to own?
    Custom Ti SS or HT. Maybe SS with the option of a Rohloff?

fave trail?
    Tough choice here.
    Dry Diggings Track near Castlemaine. Closely followed by Lysterfield.

fave city... why?
    Melbourne for food,
    Paris for architecture
    Amsterdam for fun.

other sports?
    XC/telemark skiing
    Will watch other sports that don't contain balls.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Where you live? (suburb, city, state)- Sydney, NSW

How often do you ride? Whenever I can get the time to.

Style of riding? Trail riding & getting into DH

occupation? Workplace Assessor & Trainer

bike you own? 2 USA Specialized's: '98 FSR Elite (MAX backbone)
    '00 S-Works Team DH (currently under construction!!!)

bike you aspire to own? Already own them (the 2 listed above)

fave trail? Oaks Fire trail

fave city... why? (controversial!) None, I like going bush

other sports? Haven't got time for other sports...too many hobbies!!

Catch ya's later........Joe

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Upset

Mortdale, Sydney

How often do you ride?
    2-3 times a week, it used to be more (road semi-pro)

Style of riding?
    [I]XC, DH, Road, Urban[I]

occupation?
    Part time bike industry- The Bike Shed, working on wealth creation

bike you own?
    Ellsworth Id
    Norco Rush
    Casati Track bike
    Racline road bike
    TT bike
    (will post some pics soon)

bike you aspire to own?
    Ducatti 999R
    Ellsworth Dare (later this year)
    Crumpton composite road bike

fave trail?
    Some of the one recently closed in the Royal National Park

Sydney

other sports?
    Yoga

Gone riding
    Jan 2004

Devonport, Tasmania

How often do you ride?

Up until about a year ago, I rode 6 dyas a week, recently though I'm lucky to get one in a week

Style of riding?

Trailriding is where it's at for me. - Call it XC, DH or FR, it's all trailriding to me !!

Occupation?

1st year Uni student

Bike you own?

02 XTC Se-2 - not much is standard

Bike you aspire to own?

Do you really want to be reading for hours? Something nice!! I admire many bikes for many reasons

Fave trail?

The one I haven't ridden yet!! I love nightriding, any trail ridden in the dark is a blast, great fun for sure!!

Other sports?

I've tried a bit of Mountain Bike Orrienteering - does that count??

Cheers Dave.

Boj
    mtbr member

Dandenong, Melbourne, Victoria

How often do you ride?

Spend most of my riding on the trainer maybe 4-5 days a week nowdays but do try to hit the trails as often as I can.

Style of riding?

XC

occupation?

Lets see, in the late 90s I was the lead singer of Backstreet Boys until I was kicked out for political reasons. For the next few tears I was the head of APEC. Ran for governor of California last year and was briefly married to Brittney Spears just recently.

No seriously, I'm a final year student of Aerospace Engineering and also work part time.

bike you own?

Currently ride an old Iron Horse hardtail with most components upgraded to ~LX level. It serves in all my biking duties reliably and well until I soon finish building my Sintesi X-wing which will become my race bike. Also this Sintesi will be the lightest MTB in Australia (to my knowledge) @ 16.7-16.9 lbs.

bike you aspire to own?

Hmmm, well, I suppose, once I finish building my race bike I intend to ride it for 1-2 years (the frame was cheap and is old) until I start working full time at which point I will save up for, most likely, an Extralite F1 FS frame and move over all the components. Severe case of weight weenism in case you can't tell. Other than that I'll probably get a road bike sometime in the future, dont know which one though. And of course over time I'll develop a series of niche riding styles each of which will demand its own bike, who knows...

fave trail?

I live close to and ride most around Lysterfield though as it turns out I have not explored even 10% of it. Other cool rides I like are Officer, Dixons Creek, You Yangs, Macedon etc.

I live in Melbourne but have been to Brisbane, Toowoomba, Sydney... They're all equally sh!t. (Hey at least I'm trying to be controversial)

other sports?

Indoor horse riding
    If in doubt - pedal harder!!!

I'm feeling dirty, you?
    - Where you live? (suburb, city, state)
    Willetton, Perth, WA

- How often do you ride?
    Weekends and good weekdays.

- Style of riding?
    XM (Cross-mountain/All-moutain/Enduro) but my wheels can't handle it, so it's XC.
    Urban Assault (strapping on slicks and blasting through the city, messenger-style).
    Trying trials moves but bike too heavy (~33lbs), legs too weak for trial-style bursts, brakes spongy as hell and freehub is far from fine engagement. But I can pull off a 1/2 - 1 minute trackstand with LUCK!

- occupation?
    Kitchenhand, student Kent Street Senior High School

- bike you own?
    Avanti Ventura (2001, hardtail, 6061, no ISO disc tabs, stock fork- RST sh!tjob, 21-speed, square taper, 1" riser bars, Kenda Kenetics 26X2.1, plastic platforms, weinnman 519 rims)
    + RockShox Judy XC (2002, 100mm, coil, externally adjustable preload only)
    + gripshifts (generics, not SRAMs, soon SRAMs front and rear, shifters and derailleurs)
    + Shimano M424 SPD pedals (soon Crank Brothers Egg Beaters C)
    + Continental Escape (26X2.0, wire, front)
    + Continental Traction Pro (26X2.1, wire, rear)
    + Michelin Air+ inner tubes
    + Michelin rim bands
    + SKS front and rear fenders/mudguards

- bike you aspire to own?
    Ellsworth Truth (Sapphire Blue anodized, with 2005 Fox Shox Triad rear shock [that's right 2005])
    RockShox Reba (85-115mm, Dual Air, adjustable ProLoc remote [RockShox-Red Pill fork available soon, 2005])
    Full SRAM transmission (29-speed, X.0 or X.9 series, gripshifters 'shorty', front and rear derailleurs, cassette, chain)
    Hope Mono Mini hydraulic disc brakes (160mm, ISO) + No Tubes' 160mm aluminium rotors
    Chris King ISO disc hubs, Mavic XM819 Disc rims (UST), DT SwissRevolution spokes, Stan's No Tubes treatment- wheelset
    Race Face cranks (Next LP ISIS), bottom bracket (Signature Ti) headset (Team SL), race rings and bash ring.
    Titec handlebars (C3 2.0), stem (Rip 3D)
    Thomson Elite seatpost (zero offset)
    Crank Brother Egg Beater Triple Ti (Mr. 6 1/2 hundred buck pedals)
    ODI Yeti Lock-On grips (90mm)
    Fi:zi'k Nisene CP (Ti rails)

- fave trail?
    Langford Park, as I haven't been around looking for other trails as I'm 'automotive-impaired"

- fave city... why? (controversial!)
    I've been to brisbane, sydney, canberra, melbourne, perth.
    Melbourne, you want culture, you get culture in Melbourne, free-thinking people (if not weird at times), very open people. Like a faster, bigger, cooler (in it's own way) Perth.
    Perth is cool because it cool, calm, quieter, more opened space and that bit more relaxed, Sydney just boring, too crowded, too busy, too cramped, too expensive, too fast.
    Sydney or Melbourne? Melbourne. Even with it's "four seasons in a day" weather.

- other sports?
    I've played ball sports, I'm not the strongest swimmer and I've never been on a BMX for over six years.

Respect, jonowee (Jonathan Wee)
    Last edited by jonowee; 05-08-2004 at 09:46 AM. Reason: ......

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Goodaye from Jawry

LIVE
    Brisbane

RIDE
    once or twice a week (always at night - long line the Ninja Nightriders)

STYLE
    Hardcore trail, light dh

OCCUPATION
    Safety & Environmental Manager in Civil Construction industry

BIKE
    'Dale Jekyll

ASPIRE TO
    Got a Rocky Mountain Slayer on order
    Wouldn't mind an Ellsworth ID, Turner 5 Spot...the list just gets more exy

FAVE TRAIL
    Poo-shooter (aka Deanos or 4.5) at Mount Cootha

FAVE CITY
    Brissie of course (Hobart wouldn't be bad, Wellington - anywhere near a mountain)

OTHER SPORTS
    anything outdoors

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    Just thought I'd post some pics of my ride - it looks like you can't edit sticky contents??

A bigger photo here

[IMG]http:/gallery.roadbikereview.com/medium/datamtbr/500/235198/bike1.jpg[/IMG]
    And a bigger version

Cheers, Dave.

mtbr member
    Melbourne, Victoria
    How often do you ride?
    I try for every second day, mostly on the singlespeed, although with a new roadie due to be all completed by next weekend, that's all gunna change
    Style of riding?
    Like a Spastic. Oh, that's not what you meant. XC, Trail, Singlespeed, Road.
    occupation?
    Product and Graphic Designer, Bona Fide "Little Guy" Bike Company owner.
    bike you own?
    Thylacine 221, Tephra, and prototype FS. Notice a pattern?
    bike you aspire to own?
    The ones I dream up
    fave trail?
    Greens Bush, Yarra Trail/Studley Park, any one I haven't ridden yet
    In Australia, it's Melbourne. You agree, just admit it.
    other sports?
    Err....when?
    No longer member of the bike industry nor society, so don't hassle me.

mtbr member

Re: Roll Call

:: Glenalta, Adelaide, SA

How often do you ride?
    :: Commute everyday to work 15Km each way [150km / week but in traffic... boring]
    :: Can take a few different decents from the hills down to the plains every morning on dirt though - just a bit of a climb home every night - about 160m
    :: http://www.cycle2max.com/c2m/climbs....9?OpenDocument for the details. My time is about 12 minutes on dirt tyres
    :: Trail riding every second weekend or so - renovations and children keep one busy......

Style of riding?
    :: Mostly XC / Trail riding

occupation?
    :: Designer

bike you own?
    :: '96 Sworks Hardtail
    :: Still trying to save the pennies for a new ride.

bike you aspire to own?
    :: I'm looking seriously at a Stumpjumper FSR or an Enduro.
    :: But i often dream about a Spyder or a Blur

fave trail?
    :: One i used to ride whilst living in Sydney. It runs from Fitzroy Falls near Kangaaroo valley in a 60km loop - absolutey awesome.

:: I like the ones i've visited - Melbourne / Brisbane - and have a lot of time for the 2 i've lived in: Sydney and Adelaide. I'd have to give it to Adelaide for the friendly people and great trails so close to the city.

other sports?[/QUOTE]
    Lawn Bowls,,,,,,,

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    amendment!!!

i am now a proud owner of a Giant VT3!!!!

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    Sweet - I hope you ride many happy trails with her!!

Cheers, Dave.

mtbr member
    Gherang, Vic (about 15km inland from Anglesea)

How often do you ride?
    Most days - about 7 hours per week.

Style of riding?
    XC mostly

occupation?
    Programmer - Work at home

bike you own?
    VT3 (Just like yours!)

bike you aspire to own?
    Nah - I couldn't be happier with what I've got.

fave trail?
    Local ones - there's plenty!

Melbourne, but I like visiting Sydney. Love Tassie too.

other sports?
    no.

Cheers.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by wotzapollohimalaya
    Reno/Tahoe, Nevada
    How often do you ride?
    3-4/week
    Style of riding?
    XC/FR
    occupation?
    Manager
    bike you own?
    Jekyll 2000 & 04 Kona Stinky
    bike you aspire to own?
    Demo 9
    fave trail?
    Flume Trail, Anything at Northstar
    Lake Tahoe for obvious reasons
    other sports?
    Snowboarding

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Aussie living overseas

Vancouver Canada (lived near Byron Bay growing up)

6 times every 8 days due to shift work

XC, Singlespeed

Firefighter

4 Seven's, 2 Phil Wood PISSOFF's, 2 Norco's and 1 Spot

I have to get a Jeff Jones One

A lot of trails around Squamish

Nimbin in the 60's

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

my VT!

sorry, didn't seem to work... check it on this thread

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1401324

[IMG]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0VAANA9IZvEGeHRoXi6CelZCbELX3*K7X9eqd*oEtmRW8lR1vd 4xJWnhQ6Sm8py7x4HD4dx9XUoC5DR!bCVazol8ObYmPNeT*tvC !tUeM563suyqqsD1ck1B0WK4YEMRh/IMG_1385.JPG[/IMG]

[IMG]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0VAAAANYZ6EKeHRoXi6CeldcHZZ9SIsLVXu6HdXxhY0GvXJx5f wnCN6zZlQRphhdGMsG1c8fLxmRXa8!47j!Z4dw8c9ncl1N6*X4 yQTBvDpVzN5QXqJIq8N2*XY3dNvk!/IMG_1389.JPG[/IMG]

[IMG]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0VAAAAM4ZkUCeHRoXi6CelUGCWdghaiHkib6jjWLdZpI3Cm3zf AKPh2JGr3l!FOtRPT*h2qAKP8UTqI3QacxJlbPusHxY8aVnGyL 1yLKs!1hBviHdomb!1SEs6C9!!3TP/IMG_1390.JPG[/IMG]
    Last edited by wotzapollohimalaya; 05-22-2004 at 03:12 AM.

I'm feeling dirty, you?
    wotzapollohimalaya

The dude in the last pic, I must really love MTBikng to put up with the pain of riding on midget travel RST's and flat bars You think the guy will get a helmet that doesn't fry his head in summer.

Watch out, I been seeing reviews and rants about those Hutchinson tyres not working in Australia. And those SPD's are the same M424's I own and after half a year the plastic cage is really showning serious wear, any way I'm switching to Egg Beater C's soon.

Good to see someone with attention to detail. Taking measures on high wear areas like the chainstay and seat tube.

Respect, jonowee

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast