mtbr member

one bike for SE QLD?

The family and I may be moving to SE QLD for 2 -3 years and I'm interested if the local tracks are best suited to a hardtail 29er (Transition TransAM) or a 5 inch trail bike or 6 inch trail bike.
    Last edited by noosa2; 06-14-2012 at 08:54 PM. Reason: typo

mtbr member
    You can get away with a hardtail on most tracks, but a 6in dually does come in handy as well.

mtbr member

Welcome to one of the best parts of the world.

Definitely the hardtail. You wont ind much that requires a 5-6inch trial bike.

Good reading here to introduce you to the trail options in the area

Where to Mountain Bike in South East Queensland, Fourth Edition 2012

mtbr member
    Not enough info at this point noosa2.

Personally, I'd say that anyone not recomending a 4" or 5" dually doesn't even live here, or at the very least doesn't know the place very well.

You really need to tell us more about yourself and you ride durations.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicCarpet View Post
    Not enough info at this point noosa2.

Personally, I'd say that anyone not recomending a 4" or 5" dually doesn't even live here, or at the very least doesn't know the place very well.

You really need to tell us more about yourself and you ride durations.
    I'm currently living in Phoenix, AZ. I normally ride the 29er hardtail on a 70 - 80min XC type ( lots of rocks and sand and no drops over about 50cm) ride before work once/twice a week. On the W/E I typically ride my Knolly Endorphin on some of the more technical type trails we have around here. The weekend rides are normally 2 - 3 hr rides. This youtube video shows the normal weekend type ride ...descent...of National Trail on South Mountain - YouTube

Oh, the endorphin has 140mm rear travel and has a 160mm lyrik up front. The reason I mentioned a 5" or a 6" bike was that the endorphn is cracked so I was considering getting a new frame but have since decided to have the enporphin repaired by Ventana bikes.

mtbr member
    The majority of trails here are XC single trails and fire trails. There are also a fair number DH trails, most of which do not absolutely require a dual crown 180mm bike, where the Knolly would be quite good. Mt Joyce is a place that has both DH and XC single trails.

I only do long XC rides on single and fire trails, so only have a 100mm dual sus 29er. It seems you like a greater variety of riding, so a one bike situation for you will be difficult. You can continue to some extent with the variety you have now, so the same two bikes will be required.

There is a thread about having one bike around here for all types of riding here: MTB Dirt Mountain Bike Forums forum - Topic - Nearly new bike time!

It seems that he is headed for a Trek remedy 9.

Try a youtube search for Daisy Hill, Gap Creek, Bunya, Parklands, Nerang, Mt Joyce, Beerburrun downhill, Illinbah Downhill, Tamborine downhill, Toowoomba downhill, Camp Mountain downhill. That'll lead to other links etc.

Have fun while you are here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicCarpet View Post
    The majority of trails here are XC single trails and fire trails. There are also a fair number DH trails, most of which do not absolutely require a dual crown 180mm bike, where the Knolly would be quite good. Mt Joyce is a place that has both DH and XC single trails.

I only do long XC rides on single and fire trails, so only have a 100mm dual sus 29er. It seems you like a greater variety of riding, so a one bike situation for you will be difficult. You can continue to some extent with the variety you have now, so the same two bikes will be required.

There is a thread about having one bike around here for all types of riding here: MTB Dirt Mountain Bike Forums forum - Topic - Nearly new bike time!

It seems that he is headed for a Trek remedy 9.

Try a youtube search for Daisy Hill, Gap Creek, Bunya, Parklands, Nerang, Mt Joyce, Beerburrun downhill, Illinbah Downhill, Tamborine downhill, Toowoomba downhill, Camp Mountain downhill. That'll lead to other links etc.

Have fun while you are here.
    Thanks for the link. I'm going to see if I can bring both bikes as it looks like the Knolly would be perfect for some of those tracks. I'd like to see more pics of that trails around Yarrabilba.

mtbr member
    Yarabilba is just a small number of steep, rocky fire trails. A hand full of devotees go there occasionally. Don't get too pumped about it. You'll definately be dissapointed. There is no single track or any type of MTB trails there - just a lot of ruts and loose baby heads.

Bring 'em both and you'll have a good enough time here.

Cheers and maybe see you then.