mtbr member
    Aug 2010

NZ Van Hire. Can I get a tow bar?

Hey guys, I've got a week MTB'ing in NZ (Rotorua) and am trying to get hold of a Hi-Ace or equivalent with a tow-bar so I can transport the bikes in a trailer. There's going to be 8 of us so putting the bikes inside the van is out of the question.

I'm finding it hard to find something as they don't seem to include tow-bars. Anyone know who hires these? For those who go to Rotorua, what do you do?

Getting Addicted
    Hey Hertz car rental have Toyota Hiace advertised as having tow balls. Otherwise Pegasus Car Rentals seem to be bike friendly with tow bars. Sorry I havent done enough posts on here to be able to put web addresses up but if you google them you will find them.
    Hope this helps a little and you have a great time in Rotorua

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Thanks guys. Pegasus sound like a goer. I'll check them out. Really looking forward to it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Also Budget seems to do Vans as well. Budget Trucks & Vans - Budget Rent a Car
    Basically you need to look at the commercial vehicle rentals rather than normal rental car companies.

Do you need to rent a bike trailer? Natural High has one you can rent from Auckland...
    Bike Trailer/Car Rack Rentals | Bicycle Rentals

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Kiwimtber, awesome. Thanks for the trailer link. Had a look and I reckon it's ideal.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    9 of us flew into Christchurch a couple of months ago with our bike bags. We rented a Toyota Hi-Ace 10 seater plus a 4 wheeled box trailer with 10 bike racks on-top. Was a bit
    of a squeeze but managed to fit everyone/thing nicely. On hindsight, we should have gotten the LWB Hi-Ace to give ourself some extra space, but the trailer was great, we managed to fit 8 bike bags/boxes inside. Upon un-packing the bikes, we sometimes
    fit about 7 bikes on top and the remainder in the trailer minus the front wheel.

Unfortunately, RhodesRentals does not operate in the North Island. Check their website
    to see a picture of the 4 wheel trailer though. Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Thanks. Yea I've got a party of 8. We're bringing 6 bikes and hiring 2 but I still need room to carry 8 bikes. I'm thinking of hiring a 10 seater Hi Ace and an 8x4 caged trailer.