Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: crank1979's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,564

    NSW - Vic - SA roadtrip

    Alright guys, any help with this proposed mtb trip to the Tour Down Under would be appreciated. What places have I missed that would be good to ride and which locations seem a bit disjointed. Riding will be AM/XC style stuff with the wife. Maybe a little DH where we can hire bikes, which will be a new experience for us both.

    Starting from Picton either the 26th or 27th of Dec.
    *Welby
    *Wingello

    *Goulburn
    *Canberra - Bruce Ridge

    *Canberra - Stromlo

    *Canberra - Sparrow, Kowen

    *Canberra - Jerrabomberra, Majura

    *Thredbo

    *Beechworth

    *Mt Buller

    *You Yangs

    *Melrose

    *Eagle MTB Park

    Jan 14-20
    *Adelaide Tour Down Under

    *Bega

    *Mogo

    *Nowra 24th Jan

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    116
    Might want to throw Forest in there if you can. Tarthra is always fun (I guess that's Bega).

    Don't mind a bit of sniggle in Wagga Wagga (so good they named it twice) and I believe there is something also to be said for Albury. I have a soft(ish) sport for Mount Beauty too - but only because it was my first trip away with the mountain bike way, way way back in the 90's

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: crank1979's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,564
    I might be able to do Albury on the way down. I know there is some riding there but don't know much about it. I might have time for Forest too.

    Tathra is what I was thinking of when I typed Bega. Thanks.

    I thought about Mt Beauty but I'm not sure. I might miss out Thredbo and have a look at Jindabyne instead.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    37
    I would strongly suggest you visit Forrest also blores hill at lake glenmaggie and st Andrews while your in Vic. If you would like maps, directions or .gpx files let me know


    ---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?tw51pm

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: crank1979's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,564
    I'll try to add Forest and Lysterfield. There are a few place around Adelaide that I should be able to include as well.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    37
    If I could ride one place before I died in Vic it would be blores hill!

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ben_M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    566
    A good mate of mine spent almost 3 months on a road trip and did all of those trails plus more. Ill have a look at his diary that he sent me to work out the best places (in his opinion) that would be worth the trip. A bit out of the way but I would try to include My Beauty. The trails there are a lot different to the others on your list and it is a classic mtb destination. Albury is probably worth it if you are going that way on the way back, plenty of maps on the clubs website.

    Ive herd good things about Lake Mountain down in Vic.

  8. #8
    Scott is a tool.
    Reputation: waldog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    844
    Quote Originally Posted by mudmav View Post
    If I could ride one place before I died in Vic it would be blores hill!
    Really?

    Sure it's pretty good compared to what's on offer nearby, but it sure isn't in the same league as Forrest or You Yangs.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    60
    Tumut is also well worth a stop if you are heading up/down the hume. Some really fun fast flowing trails. There's an article on Tumut in the latest issue of AMB.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: crank1979's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,564
    This is what I've got so far. There are only 2 big distances between points at the moment and I'm not sure how much time I'll have after Adelaide to ride the places afterwards because of that.


  11. #11
    Hud
    Hud is offline
    Singletrack minded
    Reputation: Hud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,944
    Is it worth going to SA on this trip when you can do better justice to more in VIC then do another trip dedicated to SA. There is a lot in VIC not on that list as of yet.
    Bright/ Mount beauty, Mansfield MTB Park ,Buxton, Lake Mountain, Silvan, Smiths Gully/St Andrews Castlemaine etc
    The twenty-nine inch wheel.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: crank1979's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,564
    Quote Originally Posted by Hud View Post
    Is it worth going to SA on this trip
    If we are doing alright for time we could spend more time in Victoria, but the TDU is in Adelaide and going to that is my excuse for the trip. I can always do two weeks around Victoria 3 months after this one.

  13. #13
    Hud
    Hud is offline
    Singletrack minded
    Reputation: Hud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,944
    Whatever you do it's going to be a great trip
    The twenty-nine inch wheel.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ben_M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    566
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben_M View Post
    A good mate of mine spent almost 3 months on a road trip and did all of those trails plus more. Ill have a look at his diary that he sent me to work out the best places (in his opinion) that would be worth the trip..
    Finally got through it and Tarthra, Bores Hill (Gipsland Vic) and Fox Creek were the pick, mainly because they were a little different than all of the other trails. I would be interested to hear your thoughts after the trip as one thing he noticed was that a lot of the trails were the same. Lots of IMBA standard wide trails that went across the hill which I guess is the right way to build these days. Thats why he liked Fox Creek so much, its not to IMBA standards (apparently its pretty obvious) and it was rather unique.

    Anyway, enjoy the trip. I know id love to do that trip. Enjoy the trip across the Hay plains on the way back (because you'll only want to do it once )

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: crank1979's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,564
    This is the mostly finalised list. I've found gps traces of each place and worked out the distances between locations. Now I just have to work out accomodation. If I go by myself I'll take a tent and find a motel every few days. If I go with my wife or mate it'll be motels

    Home - Welby - Wingello - Goulburn - Canberra (Bruce Ridge) - Canberra (Stromlo) - Canberra (Sparrow, Kowen) - Canberra (Jerrabomberra) - Canberra (Majura Pines) - Thredbo - Beechworth - Bright - Mt Buller - Mansfield - Buxton - Lake Mountain - St Andrews - Silvan - Lysterfield - Castlemaine (this one is a little out of the way and might be skipped) - You Yangs - Forrest - Melrose - Eagle MTB Park - Adelaide (Tour Down Under and maybe some other rides early in the mornings or late in the evenings) - Tathra - Mogo - Nowra - Kangaroo Valley - Home

    The longest planned ride is about 65km with the average being about 30km. Driving averages out to be about 160km between locations.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: crank1979's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,564
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben_M View Post
    Finally got through it and Tarthra, Bores Hill (Gipsland Vic) and Fox Creek were the pick, mainly because they were a little different than all of the other trails. I would be interested to hear your thoughts after the trip as one thing he noticed was that a lot of the trails were the same. Lots of IMBA standard wide trails that went across the hill which I guess is the right way to build these days. Thats why he liked Fox Creek so much, its not to IMBA standards (apparently its pretty obvious) and it was rather unique.
    Fox Creek is one I hope to do during the TDU.

    I think it's disappointing if your mate noticed everything feeling the same due to implementation of the IMBA guidelines. That is something I'm hoping this doesn't happen in NSW with tracks due to the NPWS policies. It's one reason I love Appin.

  17. #17
    Hud
    Hud is offline
    Singletrack minded
    Reputation: Hud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,944
    Sounds great!
    Interesting thought about IMBA trails all being the same, perhaps its the building company styles as well? eg Glen Jacobs trails are all have a similar flavour.
    I've been researching tassie trails for a trip over there and there appears to be a lot of good old fashioned narrow techy singletrack.

    Some comments.
    (I take it you may have been trolling through old posts on the 'weekend' thread for info?)

    Manfield is only a half hr loop but easy to follow and a good journey-breaker.

    Castlemaine is awesome but you really need a guide or some downloaded routes on your GPS. Contacting castlemaine cycles may be worthwhile.

    I'd show you around St andrews and silvan if timing works out ok. sms me with a few days notice if you want i'll pm my mobile number..
    The twenty-nine inch wheel.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ben_M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    566
    Quote Originally Posted by crank1979@optusnet.com.au View Post
    Fox Creek is one I hope to do during the TDU.

    I think it's disappointing if your mate noticed everything feeling the same due to implementation of the IMBA guidelines. That is something I'm hoping this doesn't happen in NSW with tracks due to the NPWS policies. It's one reason I love Appin.
    Appin wont have any of those problems, its landscape is fairly unique so it should keep that uniqueness.

    You might be right Hud about companies having a similar flavor.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: crank1979's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,564
    Quote Originally Posted by Hud View Post
    Sounds great!
    Interesting thought about IMBA trails all being the same, perhaps its the building company styles as well? eg Glen Jacobs trails are all have a similar flavour.
    I've been researching tassie trails for a trip over there and there appears to be a lot of good old fashioned narrow techy singletrack.

    Some comments.
    (I take it you may have been trolling through old posts on the 'weekend' thread for info?)

    Manfield is only a half hr loop but easy to follow and a good journey-breaker.

    Castlemaine is awesome but you really need a guide or some downloaded routes on your GPS. Contacting castlemaine cycles may be worthwhile.

    I'd show you around St andrews and silvan if timing works out ok. sms me with a few days notice if you want i'll pm my mobile number..
    The style of work produced by the companies definitely has a big influence, that and they all seem to be trying to pump out 'flow' trails cut mainly by machine.

    I've found gps traces for each location, so hopefully they'l be a good starting point. I keep you in mind though.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben_M View Post
    Appin wont have any of those problems, its landscape is fairly unique so it should keep that uniqueness.
    I run the maintenance/build days at Appin so no problems of it happening out there!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •