You down with entropy?

New Zealand South island ride ideas

Hello all,

Headed to the south Island the end of February through early March.

Working on getting the Kennet book. Trying to make rough plans and was looking for suggestions.

We were thinking maybe biking part of the Queen Charlotte track, and maybe around Queenstown and Wanaka.

We will be needing to rent bikes as well so access to a local shop will be needed near the locations.

any thoughts would be great

mtbr member
    hey there,

queenstown and wanaka are good rides, so is naseby and nelson, but don't rule out hanmer springs or the west coast tracks if you like epic rides ...

i would avoid the queen charlotte track at present as during the summer months it is full of walkers/hikers ... in fact i think mtbers are banned dec/jan/feb ...

i think you can mail order the kennets book from Ground Effect - mountain bike clothing
    "old enough to know better. too old to care."

You down with entropy?
    Quote Originally Posted by hoogie View Post
    hey there,

queenstown and wanaka are good rides, so is naseby and nelson, but don't rule out hanmer springs or the west coast tracks if you like epic rides ...

i would avoid the queen charlotte track at present as during the summer months it is full of walkers/hikers ... in fact i think mtbers are banned dec/jan/feb ...

i think you can mail order the kennets book from Ground Effect - mountain bike clothing

I did some looking and with boat rides queen charlotte is pretty much out due to cost and the likelyhood of it being busy with foot traffic.

with the last minute nature of this trip (we really just decided to go a few days ago), shipping times are starting to get tight for the book, so we will likely pick that up once we arrive.

I will look into a few other locations as you suggested.

For us more on the XC side of things and not looking for DH/freeride type rides.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Mates road part of the QC track a few weeks ago, and there weren't too many walkers, with around 40km of track available to ride until 28th Feb, after that the full track can be ridden.
    Nelson has a lot of good riding, and Kaiteriteri is a great area, with fewer tracks, but the scenery is worth the trip.
    If you decide to do the Queen Charlotte, depending on when/numbers, I may be able to organise to get you dropped off/picked up if you do a short section day trip (or a discount from one of the water taxi operators)

NedwannaB

Vertigo in Queenstown

Quote Originally Posted by esilvassy View Post
    Hello all,

Headed to the south Island the end of February through early March.

Working on getting the Kennet book. Trying to make rough plans and was looking for suggestions.

We were thinking maybe biking part of the Queen Charlotte track, and maybe around Queenstown and Wanaka.

We will be needing to rent bikes as well so access to a local shop will be needed near the locations.

any thoughts would be great
    Stayed in town and staged out of their shop when I took a trip down there several years ago. I assume they're still up and runnning. Close to a lift for dh runs, dry surface luge cart runs, Wanaka xc tracks right from town and can arrange the heli-shuttle up to the Remarkables.

Vertigo Bikes Queenstown
    Last edited by JMac47; 02-21-2012 at 03:59 PM. Reason: typo
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....