New Zealand in March

Printable View

• 01-28-2013
    team_wee
    New Zealand in March
    Heading to N-Z in march for 3 weeks, will be in Wellington, lake Taupo in the north visiting friends and Nelson, Christchurch in the south with my family. What are good rides? I'm looking for big epics in the 5-6hr range. I'm from the North Shore so technical trails don't scare me and I'm a very fit rider. Thanks in advance.
  • 01-29-2013
    Shalom
    Check out the local MTB club websites. Also try vorb.org.nz. And the Kennet Bros books are good for epic ride suggestions and everything in between.
  • 01-29-2013
    kavika
  • 01-31-2013
    team_wee
    Thanks, saw that site any must do on there? I was thinking kill devil track and coppermine trail. How about around Christchurch?
  • 01-31-2013
    Shalom
    Quote:

Originally Posted by team_wee View Post
    Thanks, saw that site any must do on there? I was thinking kill devil track and coppermine trail. How about around Christchurch?

Coppermine is awesome. Haven't had the opportunity to do Kill Devil yet. But trails in Nelson are great in general.

As for Chch - there is quite a bit, from Macleans Island (bike park) to the Port Hills and everything in between.
  • 01-31-2013
    kavika
    Quote:

Originally Posted by team_wee View Post

I have only ridden Coppermine, although the DH side is a lot tamer now than it used to be. Sunrise and Peaking Ridge is next on our list, heard good report about those. If heading to Kill Devil, Rameka is meant to be a good track, and the bike park in Kaiteriteri, while small, offer nice rides/views.
    If you pop over the hill, Wakamarina Track, Nydia Bay or Queen Charlotte offer good riding. These guys will give good advice on tracks, and will make it easier to plan those rides out of town Mountain Bike Shuttles & Tours Nelson, NZ | Bike Shuttles Ltd
    Also check out Vorb: All Posts for advice, or maybe meeting up with locals to join on the trails
  • 02-06-2013
    rifraf
    Why not ride the Heaphy Track as you'll be in the vicinity? Last I heard it was open to cyclists unlike when I lived in Karamea. Its a walking track between Karamea and Golden Bay. The Heaphy Track - West Coast of the South Island, New Zealand Fantastic walk and I bet a even more fantastic bikepacking ride.:thumbsup:

Depending on where in Welly you'll be, my favorite ride for something to do was riding from the city to Petone area and up Korokoro hill and across to Maungaraki.
    At Maungaraki there is a Dam and bush walk that takes you off road back down to the entrance to Petone. From memory it was call the Mill stream and has some exciting downward grades at the beginning. (Take it easy and watch out for walkers and give them the right of way). Then back the approx 15km to the city. Makes for a nice day trip. You recognise the Dam walkway in Maungaraki when after cycling Korokoro's Maungaraki Rd you reach the top of the hill (magnificient views of Hutt Valley and Welly harbor) and as you cycle away from Korokoro you reach a Pine plantation on your left. You need to turn left into the plantation and look for the signs which are pretty self evident. Enjoy!!!:)

Many parts of NZ measure their rainfall in the Meters and not centimeters.
    Take a good raincoat! Its not green for nothing.
    Oh and Welly's not called the "Windy City" for nothing either. A hint is one local radio station called Radio Windy
  • 02-08-2013
    team_wee
    Thanks for all the responses! If anyone would like to hook up, I'd be more than happy! BTW Rifraf I know all to well rain, I'm from the north Shore of Vancouver :)
  • 02-08-2013
    kavika
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rifraf View Post
    Why not ride the Heaphy Track as you'll be in the vicinity? Last I heard it was open to cyclists unlike when I lived in Karamea. Its a walking track between Karamea and Golden Bay. The Heaphy Track - West Coast of the South Island, New Zealand Fantastic walk and I bet a even more fantastic bikepacking ride.:thumbsup:

Only open from May1 - September 30 unfortunately. Still plenty of tracks around the top of the south to choose from though.
  • 03-01-2013
    onobed
    4 Attachment(s)
    New Zealand in March
    In Nelson the Dun Hill loop will take five hours. Long steady RR grade climb, decent descent. Epic views. Kateriteri Bike Park is great. Be certain to climb all the way to the top. Good views and excellent berms. Nothing scary on either of those trails. Wharinaki Forest is ninety minutes from Taupo. That is a tough ride through native bush. Well worth it. The rides around Taupo are simply beautiful but not technically challenging. That said, they are silly amazing - hero dirt and amazing views. Pics below are Taupo, Wharinaki, Taupo and Dun. Attachment 776607Attachment 776606. Attachment 776604Attachment 776605