mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Good job! New trail dedicated to Canberra's Centenary

So this is something I have been pushing for for many years now - culminating with me working with Makin Trax and meeting with the Chief Minister and the opposition in December last year, and talking with the Greens recently. Its great to see

http://www.chiefminister.act.gov.au/media.php?v=9780

CBRE Richard Ellis are doing the initial planning work so lets hope that they get it right (don't mind the term "Walking Track" this I believe is just about trying to get the media to understand).

If it were up to you what would you like to see in a Centenary Track? (bearing in mind it will need to be a multi-use trail)

nothing to see here
    Maybe incorporating a climb/descent on Black Mountain? Views would be great.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

fan of maple syrup
    Indeed - Steve's photos from his recent trip to the capital clearly show how awesomely placed the Black Mountain reserve is for a trail network - plus it could be linked to Stromlo given the amount of undeveloped space between them.

However, Black Mountain, more specifically it's tower, is only 30 years old. So if it's 100 years since O'Malley smashed in that first peg that you're celebrating, maybe a trail that encompasses all the city centres that have been built since then is an idea.

Start at Stromlo (obviously), work your way over to Black Mountain, up the south face, take in some views, then down the n.noth west face, link up with O'Conner trails, then go across to the bogan capital I grew up in that is Belconnen via that bushland hill between Radford & Bruce. From Belco, head north alongside Ginninderra creek out to the relatively new city centre (that's not quite 'city' yet) that is Gunghalin. Plenty of space around those new lakes to use for sure? Then head east and pop another climb over the two peaks of Majura and Ainsle (with link track down to Majura Pines), for some more breathtaking views of the capital. Then bomb down the side of Mt Ainsle, straight down the centre of Ainsle Ave to the city. From here, start again through Glebe Park (watch the drunken idiots if riding at night) and a little suburban assault down to the lake foreshores. Through Commonwealth park and take in views of the architecture surrounding LBG. Head towards the Carillion, listen to some pipe organ tunes, cross Kings Ave bridge into government-ville. Now for the best part of the ride: up Kings Ave then straight up and over Parliament House. That's right - straight over it. I mean - why cover the building in terrain if you don't intend to use it. Wave to Julia & Tony on the left in the House of Reps, Bob & co on the right in the Senate, and head down the other side to the best named road in Canberra - Melbourne Ave. Straight up the guts of that, then a nice climb up to Red Hill, more awesome views, then down the other side through bushland near Deakin to another well named bit of infrastructure - Yarra Glen - otherwise known as 'extremely wide swathe of openness heading to nowhere (i.e. Woden)'. Once through Woden, it's time to hit the last of the centres - Tuggeranong. Probably down alongside Athlon drive following the stormie drain, then skirt Philip and hit that 'Y' shaped nature reserve that cuts through Chifley, then it's another summit - Mt Taylor (a whopping 800m+). More great views (if you consider Sth Canberra great) then bomb down back towards Athlon Drive, then alongside it all the way into Tuggers. From here - you can follow the Murrumbidgee all the way to Cotter, then climb back up to Stromlo.

Canberra is so freakin open compared to any other city in Australia that most of that above route could be singletrack. Even the space beside major roads is so vast compared to anywhere else. OR in some cases (Melbourne Ave, Ainsle Ave) the space between the left and right side of the road. Look at Google Earth if you don't beleive me. I seriously reckon it could be done. Provided your deadline was the actual centenary date in '13 ... and you were somehow able to cut through the ginormous pile of red tape that I'm sure would exist (esp. the Parliament house part).

Anyway - that kinda trail would be worth actually heading back to the old home for. Would make for an awesome full-day ride (probably 2 for me at the moment).

Get cracking Bucket man.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    What about basically what Nuclear powered suggests from Stromlo all the way to top of Red Hill, but then go to the very top of Red Hill to the Trig Station, then down to the drain under Hindmarsh used by the triple tri to get to New O'Malley and follow the triple tri route in reverse (fix it up so it can be found more easily) to behind Farrer and then get to Mount Taylor from there by crossing Athlon.

So would there be any budget to putting in underpasses. for example it normally is fairly easy to get accross Athlon at the top between Farrer Ridge and Mount Taylor but to be able to do the whole route around canberra using underpasss to cross no roads would be awsome.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    So it's been a while but finally the feasibility report is complete and there is a route now open for consultation.

The following link has reports, maps and Google earth files

Territory and Municipal Services - Canberra Centenary Trails

Comments on the route close on December 16 and can be e-mailed to TAMSCentenaryTrail@act.gov.au

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Looks awesome!

mtbr member
    Cool, great work!! It runs reasonably close to my Sister in laws house so that might be a nice ride one day.