Thread: New bike help

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

New bike help

I'm after a new bike. I currently have a hardtail, about 2005 era, pretty average. i'm looking for either a dualy (xc end of the market) or a 29er.

i've been round to a few shops (live in melbourne) and come up with the following
    - GF paragon $2600
    - Felt virtue 2 $2500
    - Giant xtc 29 $1800
    - Giant anthem x2 $2400

being the end of the 2010 range stocks are limited so i'm struggling to find more bikes to choose from. Demos are all gone, to test out properly. But at least I should get a good deal hopefully.

i'm pretty tall 6'4" so need a large/xlarge frame, and ride single track stuff, around st andrews area mainly.

Appreciate any advice, or recommendations of bikes and shops I should check out. thanks

808+909 = Party Good Time
    If you are aftrer great run out deals I find BSC QV pretty good. I've bought a couple of last years models from them for a good price.

From that list I'd be grabbing the Giant XTC 29er. Firstly cos the spec is good for the $$$, secondly it has pretty solid reviews and thirdly I'm 29er biased. I do also love a good hardtail.

All nice bikes however, you really can't go wrong.

fan of maple syrup
    If you were 2 or so inches shorter I'd say the perfect bike for you is a 2nd hand Scott Genius with practically newly warrantied frame.

But alas ... too tall.

Only bike in that list I can offer advice on is the Anthem, which seems to be the short-travel weapon of choice at every enduro I've been to. Living in a democracy has taught me that you can't really say "That many people can't all be wrong", but when it comes to this bike, I think it might hold true. It's light, plush and quick in the tight stuff.

Only thing I'd say about it is not to go too big on it.

mtbr member
    I'm with N_P here.

If you've got a hardtail, getting a newer/bigger hardtail may not be all that different (depending on where your planning to ride).

I'm also a short-ass and not sold about the whole 29er thing, so I'd go the dualy... between the Felt and the Giant, I'd go with the Anthem. Good bang for your buck.

You could take a Giant bike almost anywhere in the world and get parts/service for it. If its cheap/easy to maintain, theres no reason not to get a good life span from it.

As N_P said, try your hardest to get one sized up properly! I rode the wrong sized Giant for over a year and it just never felt "right". Your much better off getting it right first time.

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    I'm biased, but I find a 29er hardtail is just great at St Andrews as most of the trails are quite smooth. Also being as tall as you are, I'd definately say test ride one at least. The owner at the Cog bike cafe in Mount Evelyn has a few and would be happy to give you a test ride I'm sure.
    I have a 29er hardtail as well as a light well specced duallie (santa cruz superlight)
    I'm genuinely frustrated because I just don't like it much anymore, haven't ridden it for six months.
    The twenty-nine inch wheel.