Grip it and rip it.

New question here. Moving to Wollongong, from Ireland.

Hey all, I'm a keen Irish mountain biker of about ten years, and next month (September), I'll be on my way to Wollongong to stay for a year or maybe more depending on how things go. I like all types of riding, my main thing for the last few years has been endurance XC racing, but I also really like AM/enduro type racing and riding, and I was also in Whistler for a year last year where I fell in love with DH.
    So a few questions... what type of riding/bikes are most common out there around Wollongong? Is there many mtb clubs? Whats the racing scene like?

Any help or pointers would be very much appreciated!

Thanks!
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional"

michaelmblog.wordpress.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    hehe yes and yes SCUM is your friend South Coast Mountain bike organisation that runs plenty of races, october in canberra (mt stromlo) is the scott 24hr mtb enduro, one of the biggest in the world, followed a week later by the WEMBO world mountain bike solo endurance race in the same location, both first week of octber ish, just look up scott 24hr that will give you all the good goss. lots of 4, 6 and 12 hour races around and plenty of killer trails around sydney and Canberra and wollongong, nowra etc

Grip it and rip it.
    Hey thanks, I know about the Scott 24 but I might not have bike by then, but also I don't feel like going through the logistical night-mare of finding a support crew etc, maybe next year I'll do that one.
    What kind of riding is most popular around Wollongong do you know?
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional"

michaelmblog.wordpress.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    should be plenty of single track, I'm pretty sure there are some D/H down that way as well, but its also a 45min trip to sydney and all its tracks. for more all mountain type stuff then the blue mountains is your friend with the oaks trail being a popular 30km ride through the forest to glenbrook. mostly downhill one way or uphill the other depending on your taste. just check weather as you need to ford a river and if it has been raining it can be uncrossable. about 45 min north of sydney is ourimbah and awaba, which have singletrack and d/h and are also used for racing. manly dam in sydney is also a VERY popular ride around the dam. rotorburn.com is a popular site for aus riders, ask on there and someone should be able to take you around

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    There are AM / DH tracks at Mt Keira however I don't know about the legality. They are well used each weekend however. My advice would be to start making friends on Rotorburn.com however if you sign up and put your first post as "Hi I'm coming over, can you show me the local DH trails......." you should expect a very frosty reception as apparently some local National Parks rangers have posted similar in order to trick people. There are many trails around the Sydney region however. Some legal, some not quite. Rotorburn and NOBMOB are both good sites to learn more.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Where abouts in the gong will you be living? What suburb?
    There are a heap of tracks in the gong depending where you live.
    If you are in the northern suburbs, will be happy to show you around as long as you don't mind riding up hills.