some know me as mongo
    Feb 2008

moving to Canberra and need advise/information

Hey i everyone i will be moving to Canberra August of next year and i am wondering what type of bike to bring with me. Right now i have a snatacruz Blur LTC but am wondering if the bike will be up to the challange out there. My back ground is everything from XC to DH but i tend to lean to the aggresive side of riding.

I was thinking that i might want to built of a stout 160mm bike with the ability to ride some of the dh stuff. i have watched just about every youtube video that i could find but the things that i can not figure out exaclty is how the climbs out there are and how rough the average trail is. they look like that are a bit roughter than the east coast of the U.S.

am i on target with my thoughts or am i off?

thanks all. a future Australia rider

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    A blur ltc will be fine for the general stuff, there is a variety of riding around from smooth and cruisy to rough and rocky. 4-5 inch travel bikes are very very popular on the trails here.
    i'm not too familiar with east coast U.S riding,i understand it is rocky? so you may be in your element at stromlo.
    sparrow hill, east kowen and majura are pretty smooth and flowy trails in pine plantations
    stromlo has some smoothish trails and some rough rocky trails.
    A 160mm would be good on the stromlo, majura, isaccs and kowen DH trails if you don't have a DH bike, if you plan on racing, a dh bike does tend to have an advantage on those trails, the blue range DH is best left for a DH bike as it is much steeper and more difficult than the others, then again it depends what your comfortable riding.
    as far as climbing goes the biggest elevation gain is around 300m at stromlo, no real big climbs at the various trails,there are some difficult ones, but not really long ones.
    There are big climbs on the ranges(brindabella's) on the western side of canberra,again it depends on what your used to.
    Last edited by peanuts; 11-28-2011 at 01:48 AM.

mtbr member
    ^^ What he said.

There is a bit of everything in Canberra and that bike should love pretty much all of it. There wouldn't be too many trails that that bike couldn't handle, only the DH specific trails might be too much for it.

mtbr member
    Agree with Ben and peanuts. 120mm bikes are probably the most common and a Blur LT will easily tame the main local trails (and as mentioned, be overkill for kowen/sparrow which is mostly flat and flowy). Even the stromlo DH course (from the 2008 world cup round and 2009 world champs) can be ridden with a 120mm-150mm bike pretty comfortably, you'll just take some of the easier lines instead of hucking over the 20ft road gap...

I've just traded up from a Giant trance X1 to a Yeti SB66, and a light-ish 150mm travel bike feels like the sweet spot now at a place like stromlo, as some of the blue trail out the back side of the hill has eroded and led to some bigger drops going down.

You'll be more than happy with the Blur out here..

some know me as mongo
    Feb 2008
    Krimium one of the frames that i was looking at was the Yeti SB66 and the Tomac Vanish (its very much like the Yeti) How are you liking the Yeti out here? the Blur I would say ride more similar to the TranceX that you had before.

I knew that the blur LTC would be more than enough for about 90% of the trails out there, as it would be for most places in the would. from what i gather from you guys is that the terrain is not going to be that much different than the stuff i have near here. the other option that i have looked into is beefing up the blur a little bit in the fork department and rear shock.

Once again thanks for the info. I'm really looking forward to coming to there in the next year! Hope to have some people show me around a bit!

mtbr member
    Any photos or video from where you are from? Might be able to help more (plus I like seeing stuff from other countries).

some know me as mongo
    Feb 2008
    ok here are some videos of the trails that i like to ride.

this one below is probably the most challenging. this is just the down hill at the end. there is one hell of a nasty climb to get there as well

here is an example of the more normal and mundane trials in the area

These 2 videos i would say show the styles of riding that i like the most. I use to do a fair amount of DH and still like to push my riding when i can.

Let me know what you guys think.

Dan

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_crackien View Post
    Let me know what you guys think.

Dan
    I think I hate you after watching that first video Thats looks pretty damn cool. On thing is that we dont have that much vertical metres here, so you wouldn't find too many DH's like that one. Oh, and you wont find too much snow on the trails either.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_crackien View Post
    Krimium one of the frames that i was looking at was the Yeti SB66 and the Tomac Vanish (its very much like the Yeti) How are you liking the Yeti out here? the Blur I would say ride more similar to the TranceX that you had before.
    The SB66 is great. It's a fantastic long travel trail bike with my 2x10 XT build..

If you search YouTube for "stromlo" there's quite a few clips of the XC and DH tracks to give you a better idea of what you'll get here..