mtbr member

Mountain biking in NSW National Parks - Have Your Say!

I realise this is predominantly a Victorian forum, but just in case there are some NSW mtbers here goes...

https://mountainbiking.discussions.nsw.gov.au

Mountain Biking Discussion Paper
    Mountain biking is a rapidly growing recreational activity in NSW and there is high demand for mountain biking opportunities in the state?s national parks and reserves.

Mountain biking gives riders the opportunity to enjoy our national parks, while also learning about park values. But like all activities in national parks, including bushwalking, scenic driving and picnicking, it needs to be well managed. Illegal mountain biking on walking tracks and creation of unauthorised tracks has become a problem in some national parks and reserves. It can be dangerous for riders, result in conflict with other park visitors and cause significant environmental damage. Providing opportunities for legal mountain biking has successfully reduced the unauthorised use of parks in NSW, interstate and internationally.

The NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service is considering a new approach to the management of mountain biking that includes providing mountain biking tracks in a small number of our national parks where the location is suitable, there is strong demand for the activity, and environmental impacts can be managed.

A discussion paper describing this approach has been prepared.

We are seeking community comment on the proposal and you can have your say here. We have created a number of themes for you to explore and comment on:

Proposed approach
    Sharing the tracks
    Mountain biking styles
    Getting the features and facilities right
    Minimising the impact
    Code of conduct
    An opportunity like this should be taken seriously by all mtbers. So get on board and have your say. Every mountainbiker should voice their opinion on this issue.

The closing date for comments is the 19th of October.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Beat me to it, I've been running around spamming this everywhere tonight.

mtbr member
    Very interesting read. We are lucky here that our local National Park (Livingston) is on the 'singletrack is ok' list. Just need it to stop raining so they open the park up again so we can ride there again and start build some new approved trails.

We dont have many user of the park here, so it would be good to hear from those around Sydney who ride these areas and some of the issues they have. It would be nice to be able incorporate some of these issues in my submission as well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Workshop Dates

All

I have been asked to facilitate these workshops and I have just been handed the dates. They are a chance for those who don't want to write to have their say (or for those who want an extra say).

Theses sessions are short and designed to
    1) allow you to express your point of view
    2) have discussion on issues and challenges (but there is no time to debate issues).

Given there will be a number of different points of view it is important that everyone respect of the views of others

Please note all issues raised will be recorded and where necessary issues will be clarified through brief discussion

There will be 6 workshops with the first in Newcastle tomorrow night

Newcastle: Thursday 23rd September 6-8pm, Kahibah Bowling Club, 63 Kenibea Ave Kahibah.

Nowra: Thursday 30th September 6-8pm, Nowra Showground, West St Nowra.

Springwood (Blue Mountains)
    : Tuesday 5th October 6-8pm, Springwood Country Club, Hawkesbury Rd Springwood. Please RSVP to 4784 7300 or blue.mountains@environment.nsw.gov.au.

Turramurra (North Sydney): Thursday 7th October 6-8pm, Turramurra Bowling Club, 181 Bobbin Head Road Turramurra. Please RSVP to 13PARK (137275) or annual.passes@environment.nsw.gov.au.

Jindabyne: Tuesday 12th October 6-8pm, Horizons Resort, Kosciusko Road Jindabyne.

Sutherland (South Sydney): TBA.

mtbr member
    Are these workshops open to anybody/groups?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    They are open to anyone or any group with an interest in mountain bikes, National Parks or both

Come along if you are keen

Have Cake and beat it 2
    I'll be there at turramurra but its bit unfair as I live at hornsby 2 min away.
    judging by the responses on the website there is a lot of interest in this.

ADIDAB
    Any feedback on the Workshops held so far?
    My LBS | Riding this and this

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Early stages yet - just Newcastle done so far. Very positive and nothing raised that I didn't expect. It would be interesting to hear from others how they felt

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve_N
    Any feedback on the Workshops held so far?
    Will you be at the Springwood meeting mate?

ADIDAB
    Quote Originally Posted by JP...
    Will you be at the Springwood meeting mate?
    Would love to be but am in WA visiting the fam...
    My LBS | Riding this and this

mtbr member
    I'm just about to head off to the Nowra one. The wife is driving so hopefully we make it there!

mtbr member
    Any dates on the Sutherland workshops yet?

mtbr member
    The closing date for submissions has been extended to Monday 25 October due to high public interest.

Public Forums

A number of public forums will be held around New South Wales to seek comments on the proposals within this paper and the approach we are taking:

Springwood: Tuesday 5 October 6-8pm, Springwood Country Club, Hawkesbury Rd, Springwood. Please RSVP to 4784 7300 or blue.mountains@environment.nsw.gov.au.

Turramurra: Thursday 7 October 6-8pm, Turramurra Bowling Club, 181 Bobbin Head Road, Turramurra. Please RSVP to 13PARK (137275) or annual.passes@environment.nsw.gov.au.

Jindabyne: Tuesday 12 October 6-8pm, Horizons Resort, Kosciusko Road, Jindabyne.

NEW! Sutherland: Wednesday 13 October 6-8pm, Sutherland United Services Club, 7 East Parade, Sutherland. Please RSVP to 13PARK (137275) or annual.passes@environment.nsw.gov.au.

NEW! Port Macquarie: Tuesday 19 October 6-8pm, Port Macquarie Golf Club, Ocean Drive, Port Macquarie.