mtbr member

Let me hand deliver you a bike from US to NZ

So I'm visiting the South Island from Oct 26th to Nov 26th and I'm bringing a bike with me. The more I think about it, the better buying a bike in the states, and selling it while in NZ sounds appealing as I'm pretty sure prices are cheaper here than NZ.

So my thought was to purchase the new On-One fatbike (roughly $1200 USD), but it looks like that won't come out now until December. Time to pick another bike.

Would anyone be interested in saving some cash by having me bring a new bike to NZ? You pick the bike, we'll work out the $$ details so both of us are protected, and all I ask is to use it for a week or so. This might be a good opportunity for both of us.

Just a thought, open for discussion...

No Stranger to danger....
    Mate it sounds like a great deal n idea, im in Australia lol, so im out of the picture but one of you sheep lovin kiwis should jump all over this, cheers
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

mtbr member
    Thanks for the support Tone's, but it seems as though its not finding a willing participant in NZ.

Looking forward to the sheep....I hear they can get a bit lippy though.

No Stranger to danger....
    Mate you might want to join an aussie forum like ROTOBURN, and post on there, you will enjoy looking round the forum, theres some great bike pics n interesting stuff, thats my fav aussie forum.
    As for kiwi forums im not sure you would have to look a few up, but i think you might get a taker if you do that, but regardless im sure you will find it interesting checking out Rotoburn to see the bikes that we are using here, its not a bad read and it might have a kiwi section im not sure, cheers mate..
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Careful

Be very careful about this. NZ customs are extremely diligent about this and will do their best to catch you. I fly in regularly from Aus to NZ with my bike and every time they hassle me about proving I am not there to sell my bike. If they see you have a new bike, they will be extremely suspiscious and ask you tons of questions. And when I leave, I have gotten the comment of "Good to see you are bringing your bike back out with you". This came from a customs agent who didn't even see my bike because I had already checked my bike in at the airline counter. So, somehow they are tracking it. If you get caught, you will face not only the import duties, but fines.

fan of maple syrup
    Quote Originally Posted by jamescbrennan View Post
    Be very careful about this. NZ customs are extremely diligent about this and will do their best to catch you. I fly in regularly from Aus to NZ with my bike and every time they hassle me about proving I am not there to sell my bike. If they see you have a new bike, they will be extremely suspiscious and ask you tons of questions. And when I leave, I have gotten the comment of "Good to see you are bringing your bike back out with you". This came from a customs agent who didn't even see my bike because I had already checked my bike in at the airline counter. So, somehow they are tracking it. If you get caught, you will face not only the import duties, but fines.
    I find this pretty surprising. Surely there are bigger fish to fry than a dude bringing in a MTB frame and not bringing it back out. Do they ask the tens of thousands of snowboarders and skiers arriving each winter if they're in NZ to sell their gear? Do they make sure the number of skis/boards they brought over match what they take home?

Worst case scenario - assuming the OP finds a taker (I wouldn't hesitate if you were coming to Australia) then bring the bike over, and in the unlikely event they pull you up on they way out, just tell them it got stolen.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info jb. I think I'll take my chances on the way out if needed. No too interested in lying to the good customs folk, I'm sure a middle ground can be found. It's all a mute point though if no one takes me up on it. It's looking more and more like a rental is in my future.

mtbr member
    I second the customs warning. They seem to be rather anal here.

Anyway, if you do not have much luck here, try verb.org.nz. That seems to be the biggest forum in NZ at the moment.

Best of luck!

mtbr member

Used gear

Quote Originally Posted by kcaz View Post
    Thanks for the info jb. I think I'll take my chances on the way out if needed. No too interested in lying to the good customs folk, I'm sure a middle ground can be found. It's all a mute point though if no one takes me up on it. It's looking more and more like a rental is in my future.

I've sold used a used guitar effect that's rather expensive in both countries to a friend in Australia, for hundreds less than what he would have to pay for it over there. Even with shipping and the tax he was still a couple hundred AUD better. What if you used the bike here, brought it over as a used item and be honest? (Disclaimer, I don't know the difference between items like musical gear and bikes in NZ, some countries tax more or even ban selling certain items to protect their own industries).

I see where you're going, you can ride a bike you like,and save the cost of shipping back to the US, or the hassle of dragging it on a plane. Bike rentals might not get you a bike you'll be happy with. I've been thinking of going back to Oz again and doing a race, but I'm not leaving a bike. Fortunately I have friends and relatives there I could ship the bike to if I don't want to travel with it. Might be a longshot, but here in Michigan we used to have a bike shop that provided excellent customer services to people traveling by air - they'd package a bike and ship it for you - or do the opposite and receive bikes and prepare it for customers for a fee. Not sure if such a place exists in NZ, might be worth asking.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalom View Post
    I second the customs warning. They seem to be rather anal here.

Anyway, if you do not have much luck here, try verb.org.nz. That seems to be the biggest forum in NZ at the moment.

Best of luck!
    www.vorb.co.nz
    "old enough to know better. too old to care."

mtbr member
    While I haven't brought any frames/bikes to NZ, I have brought a few frames/bikes with me from the US through NZ on the way to Australia and never had any trouble. I didn't sell any of the bikes, but no one asked if the bikes were mine, new, used or anything else. Also, I would suggest that make sure the bike is spotlessly clean, especially the tyres.

A few months ago I flew from the US to Australia via NZ and brought a frame back with me. Air New Zealand charged me a $70 extra bag fee for the frame box. YMMV.
    Dave
    Blog / Strava