mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Help With New Bike Decision

I am buying a new bike and I need some advice in the decision making process. I am tossing up between a
    - Kona Tanuki
    - Giant Cypher
    Both in a medium frame. I believe the Cypher has the better components. I rode a Giant Trance X2 for about 3 weeks during summer and I loved it. So I am looking for something similar.
    Any advise would be appreciated. I live in the alpine area and want to get more into single track riding.
    THANKS HEAPS!

nothing to see here
    The Kona is better looking, if that helps. And it has a slacker head tube angle for more fun on the downhills. Test ride both if you can.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The spec of the 2 bikes is similar, same brakes, same shifters, but the giant has better derailleurs, a better shock and a better fork. The real difference is the 15mm thru axle on the fox fork on the giant. That would sway me to the giant, get a thru axle if you can, less things to upgrade later on. If they cost the same then the giant is ahead on the specs and probably a bit lighter (just a guess from the specs).

I rekon the giant is better looking, so that's 1-all. But as steve aluded to, the bikes will ride differently, so it depends on their intended use and the all-important test ride.

ADIDAB
    Go for the one that fits you best. Components wear out and can be upgraded later on but the frame is a long term proposition (unless you can afford to update every year or two) so go for the best possible frame (that fits!) you can afford.

A frame that fits you will be the difference between a so-so ride and a great ride...

Test ride both bikes you have an eye on, not just in the parking lot, but on the trails if possible - if you can't do that at least have the LBS set up the bike on a trainer so you can turn the pedals over to get an idea. Also, keep an open mind to other bikes you might come across when looking around... Now is a great time to grab a bargain as most LBS' will be trying to sell their '10 stock in preparation for the '11 stock arriving about now...

Good luck... and don't forget pics of the new steed and a ride report... :-D
    My LBS | Riding this and this

mtbr member
    Cypher. Because I want one!
    Rode up at Buller in Jan and the girls on Cyphers raved about them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Decision made!!

Thanks guys! I took you advise about the test ride and decided on a Giant Trance X3. Found an 09 for $1700. Plus I have ridden a Trance X2 (08 modell I believe) last year and on the trails around Thredbo. Crashed it into the creek, but loved it. I believe the Cypher is pretty much the same, but I will go for what I know I already love. Will update on it when I have it! In the meantime will enjoy the fresh powder tomorrow!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Decision changed

So now it is official. I own a 2010 Giant Cypher. Found a great deal and I am so excited. Will get it in 2 weeks. Woohoo!!

mtbr member
    Good stuff Let us know how it goes!