b a n n e d

Heading to Oz for 2 weeks - looking to ride

I'm heading to Australia for two weeks this summer (errr, your winter). I'll be in Sydney from 26 June through 4 July, and then Melbourne from 4 July until 10 July. We're staying right in the downtown area in Sydney (going for a conference) and not sure yet, where in Melbourne.

I'd really love to see some single track while I'm there. I'll obviously need all the gear, including a bike. Any suggestions on the best way to do that? I'm mostly a trail/AM rider at home. Where are the good trail networks in those areas?

Thanks!
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I was in Melbourne last summer. I wanted to ride and asked about places to go (on this forum), but I never was able to. One thing that was clear, though, was that it's not as easy to rent a bike as it is here.

My riding buddy did ride in Sydney a couple of years ago, though, and he did some very nice rides right in Sydney. I don't know if he rented a bike, but I can find out. I'm sure someone from Sydney will have more useful information, but let me know if you want me to follow up.

26 for life.
    If you can make it to Hobart, the LBS hires good bike & the trails start from town to the mountain.
    Sydney & Melbourne require a bit of travel to the good stuff.
    Sent from the future to destroy the past.

b a n n e d
    That's a bummer. I don't think I'll have time to get to Hobart, but maybe!

mtbr member
    The corner Store in Forrest and at Mt Buller rent out bikes. Bit of a hike to get there, but fantastic riding!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    A: Where in Sydney will you be?
    B: How tall are you?
    C: I check this forum on average once every 2 years so might be best to PM me

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Melbourne local here. Not sure of riding ability and how each grade translates overseas (those new Zealanders have stupidly hard grades - a black is like suicide, double black is sure death) but here are my picks. And yes you will need a car for pretty much any ride you do.

- Lysterfield - 30km SE of Melbourne. Closest train station is Hallam and about 8km to the park. This is home of the 2006 commonwealth games (not sure of year) so mostly XC but some more AM oriented stuff has been built since. If you don't want XC stick to the west part of the track. Lots of kangaroos everywhere and it's not spring so they are not aggressive.
    - You Yangs. A bit more challenging than lysterfield. 8km from little river station to the park.
    - Forest (ottways). This would be my pick and but have to drive for this one. For a tourist this is probably the best in terms of seeing Australian forest. A great course albeit a little far away. Abo 2-3 hours dive east this on I far, but if you're coming to melbourne you'll probably want to the drive as well.
    - Buxton. Hands down my favorite flow trails in Vic. It's not difficult by any stretch of the imagination but flows very very well. This is a drive only option too.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    Try here for hire in Sydney. Sydney Mountain Bike Hire - Bike Tracks - SydneyMTB Hire Never used them but I dont know of anything else. In Sydney the easiest one might be Manly Dam. You could catch the ferry from the city to Manly and ride from there (might need a GPS to find your way to the trails though). Hornsby and Mt Appin might be the other options which are easy to find your way around. Would have to drive there though. As the others said, unfortunately Australia seriously lack good MTB hire, there is probably not too much demand for it in Syd and Melb. You could try and find a demo bike from one of the shops? Other options is you could catch a train south for 3 hrs and you can borrow one of my bikes and ill take you for a ride

Carbon & Ti rule
    Shame you can't get over to New Zealand.
    Raising money, my friend broke his neck Mtbing, Please Share link. http://givealittle.co.nz/cause/elliottkeys/donations

mtbr member
    Hey 007 - I'm in Sydney, and what Ben said above is right: there aren't many good options for hiring a decent bike, but worth trying the link that he posted.

Bike Addiction (which is near the trail at Manly Dam) does demo bikes - I think they charge about $100: Demo Bikes

There's a good Sydney trail directory at http://nobmob.com/

If you PM me a bit closer to the time you're coming here, I'll be happy to meet up and show you a few trails.

b a n n e d
    Damn. I completely forgot I posted this thread, and here I am a week away from departure with no plans made. Now I'm not sure if I'll have time to ride or not . . . would be a shame not to. Riding while in Melbourne is much more likely, as I'll be at a conference much of the time in Sydney.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Just hit up lysterfield. It's not the best but easiest in terms of getting out, hiring a bike and riding.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvin27 View Post
    Just hit up lysterfield. It's not the best but easiest in terms of getting out, hiring a bike and riding.
    Got any suggestions of where to rent a bike in Melbourne?

Edit: looks like TrailMix is my best (and perhaps only?) option.

Carbon & Ti rule
    You have to ride or you will be forever Kicking yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Damn. I completely forgot I posted this thread, and here I am a week away from departure with no plans made. Now I'm not sure if I'll have time to ride or not . . . would be a shame not to. Riding while in Melbourne is much more likely, as I'll be at a conference much of the time in Sydney.
    Raising money, my friend broke his neck Mtbing, Please Share link. http://givealittle.co.nz/cause/elliottkeys/donations

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Lysterfield. They have hire bikes - Trailmix the place is called.