mtbr member
    May 2012

Going to Queenstown in feb where best place to stay thats cheap n bike secure?

hi looking to hit queenstown next year for a week atleast wanting to know where i could stay and have a good place to store/lock up my bike while not using it thats also fairly cheap. Like is there a backpackers place that accommodates for riders?
    And any good Suggestions where to start off riding for XC-AM riding me and my mate got 150-160mm travel bikes. Or should we find a tour etc looking for tech stuff and be good to do a ride thou a forest with ferns and stuff like that.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Depends on what you call cheap, as QT in general, can be fairly pricey. This place accommodates riders Pinewood Queenstowns Best Value Accommodation
    Queenstown Bike Taxis is worth getting in touch with for shuttle runs, and Vertigo Bikes Guided Mountain Bike Tours Queenstown New Zealand, Bike Rentals | Vertigo Bikes are really good guys, with Heli Biking options too.

Might find a good deal on a holiday house here Queenstown Accommodation, Queenstown Holiday Homes, Queenstown Bach - Holiday Homes and a few track details here Riding | Queenstown Mountain Bike Club New Zealand

These guys put out a great book that may be worth looking at too Kennett Brothers Limited | Books / Books

mtbr member
    May 2012
    thank i look it them

mtbr member
    May 2012
    hi again is late march a good time to go? or it getting to wet etc to go then? and would rotorua still be open to ride early April?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Holf View Post
    hi again is late march a good time to go? or it getting to wet etc to go then? and would rotorua still be open to ride early April?
    QT should be fine. We have had a rather wet summer, and things are finally starting to dry out. The forecast for the next 2 weeks is looking awesome!

As for Rotorua, it is open all year round. The trails are pretty weather resistant.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    ah ok thanks, ya looking at early mid/late march now lol

mtbr member
    ah ok thanks, ya looking at early mid/late march now lol
    Should still be good.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    ok thanks, what about places to stay near rotoura to ride? and wood hill mtb park want to vist them spots to, or reckon i should hire a car also?

mtbr member
    ok thanks, what about places to stay near rotoura to ride? and wood hill mtb park want to vist them spots to, or reckon i should hire a car also?
    We always stay at the Blue Lakes camp ground. Great place, friendly, close enough to Rotorua with a car, but at the same time far enough away to be relaxing. And on a lake shore.

It would probably pay to rent a car if you can afford to do so. Woodhill and other MTB parks/areas around Auckland (like Riverhead (?) ) are a ways out of town.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    ah ok thanks, worth staying a night some where near wood hill so can ride there twice? only got 160mm travel bike, so med drops/jumps can do lol any techy stuff is fine just no huge DH bike stuff lol, where abouts is riverhead?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    ah ok thanks, worth staying a night some where near wood hill so can ride there twice? only got 160mm travel bike, so med drops/jumps can do lol any techy stuff is fine just no huge DH bike stuff lol, where abouts is riverhead?

Riverhead | Auckland MTB Club
    Plenty of variety in Woodhill to suit all skills and bikes. All the guys I know that ride there are on 160-180mm travel bikes.

How are you travelling? Driving both islands? Depending on the time available, you may be able to catch up with locals in each area to show you tracks worth doing.

I live in Blenheim, at the top of the South Island, which you will pass through if driving towards Queenstown. If time allows, get in touch, and I may be able to show you a track or 2 worth looking at in the area

mtbr member
    May 2012
    hi gonna fly from auckland or rotoura down to queenstown most likely, got about 2-3 weeks, gonna do a week in queenstown with a mate and north island be going alone atm. i just need to work out to do rotoura first or last which ever is best to fly down to queensfrom, will hire a car for north island, just looking into where to stay where bikes can b locked up secure or if allowed in rooms first, some where near woodhill i suppose so can drive there and riverhead etc, then some where to stay near rotorua

mtbr member
    May 2012
    any good travel insurance out there that will include my bike for dmg or stolen etc while over in NZ?

mtbr member
    any good travel insurance out there that will include my bike for dmg or stolen etc while over in NZ?
    Not aware of any travel insurance with bike protection. Best bet is to ask whoever you plan on getting your travel insurance through.

As for bike insurance as a stand alone, AMI is good. There are a few others, but read the small print. A lot of them won't cover if racing/riding.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    My travel insurance has always covered sporting equipment, as long as it's not used for competition. Of course, this is for travelling out of NZ, so not sure who you could use for travelling to NZ

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    How much is the bike worth? Might be worth asking here, Looks like they cover non residents visiting, but have a $5000 limit per item for sporting equipment, with a $15000 max. ($nz)
    Online Travel Insurance and Travel Insurance Quotes | Good2Go NZ