mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Free Gear Cables

I snapped a gear cable inner at Buller last time I went so ordered some of these as replacements: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/transfil-gear-cable-inner/. I replaced the cable housing too with housing of the same brand, but the rear derailleur did not shift smoothly. By a process of elimination I determined that it was the gear cable inner that was the problem. On replacing it with an XTR inner the previous smooth shifting returned. The XTR inners seem to not only stretch less but they have some sort of teflon or other coating that might reduce friction.

So I've got a few new spare inners left that will otherwise go into the bin if someone else doesn't want to take a chance with them. Customer reviews on Wiggle are positive but they didn't work well enough for my liking.

If you want 'em, be the first to post up saying so and send me a self-addressed envelope.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    +1. Not to hijack but... I used these also for my rear gears and they wore quickly and were heavy in shift action also. Stick with other brands. My $0.02.
    Professional Lurker + exPropheteer (I got the poison, I got the Remedy)

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Ta. It still amazes me how a company/engineers can take a seemingly simple item such as a cable inner and redevelop/productise/consumerise it to the point that it doesn't work. In the bin they go.

nothing to see here
    All gear cables are useless. When will you people learn?
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    You must've been away Steve. I expected that a lot sooner.

nothing to see here
    It was always coming cowpat, but I thought I'd give you a fair chance at getting rid of them first. It's that very small nice part of me that gets shown every now and then.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.