yep

Flying to NZ with a bike. Anyone ever had any problems over dimentions?

So Im headed to NZ next week and I'm taking my bike in an Evoc bike bag.
    The airlines state maximum 'linear' LxWxH dimensions for the bike, and the case exceeds it. I always seem pictures of these bags in NZ Instagram accounts, so I can only imagine they're often used.

So I'm just curious if anyone's had any trouble flying with a bike. I know I'll inevitable end up paying a bike fee or an extra bag fee(hopefully not both?).

Also, do I need to take the air out of my fork, shock and tires? I'm fine with the suspension, but I run tubeless and I don't want to arrive to a sealant mess and a broken bead.

Thanks. I'm stoked!

mtbr member
    Would make sense to deflate everything a wee bit before flight. Don't think it's a NZ issue... I'd call the airline you're traveling on and ask. We're pretty laid back here in Godzone.

-----------------------------------------------------------
    -=snifff!!=- What's that you say?
    to err is human... to face plant is frickin hilarious!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I've visited NZ twice and brought bikes both times with no issues (and no fees). If you have a domestic leg (or two), prior to the long flight, point out the NZ Air policy (which is weight {23kg}and length, I believe, not dimensions) to the ticket agent of the domestic carrier if the overall ticket was purchased through NZ Air or another long haul airline.

I found it worked well to show up a few days before the flight to confirm, and get the name of the airline employee who you spoke to just in case you run into resistance on the day of departure.

Have a great time-hope that you have some plans for the Nelson area. Incredible network of trails, great weather, a city that's not too big or too small, good food, great wine and coffee, very friendly people.

mtbr member
    if you are flying air-nz, just pay for an extra bag when you book your flight, it is cheaper than buying an extra bag at the airport, and bike bags/cases count as an extra bag ...

i fly to rotorua quite often and usually take a bike with me ... i pack my bike in a standard bike box [albeit XL sized] and have only ever had one issue where some new counter staff thought it was too big and it wouldn't fit on the beech 1900 aircraft ... i told them that this bike in this very box had travelled on that plane many times over the last 6 years or so without any issue to date ...

the baggage handlers and check in counter staff at rotorua airport are so used to dealing with bikes and boxes, they don't give it a second thought, and treat it gently as if it was their own ...
    "old enough to know better. too old to care."

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    a good tip, whipe down your bike with Detol and throw the rag inside the bag, it helps get through the enviro checks ;-)

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Clean off any mud, dirt or debris off your bike. Enviro checks are no joke and a clean bike will make getting through the process much faster.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by yboc View Post
    So Im headed to NZ next week and I'm taking my bike in an Evoc bike bag.
    The airlines state maximum 'linear' LxWxH dimensions for the bike, and the case exceeds it. I always seem pictures of these bags in NZ Instagram accounts, so I can only imagine they're often used.

So I'm just curious if anyone's had any trouble flying with a bike. I know I'll inevitable end up paying a bike fee or an extra bag fee(hopefully not both?).

Also, do I need to take the air out of my fork, shock and tires? I'm fine with the suspension, but I run tubeless and I don't want to arrive to a sealant mess and a broken bead.

Thanks. I'm stoked!
    Still there or staying there? How was the trip?

yep
    Quote Originally Posted by angelo View Post
    Still there or staying there? How was the trip?
    So damn good. What a nice country to live in a van and travel from spot to spot. The trails were great. The driving was great. The weather was great. The people were great. Seriously, I'm looking for a job there in a couple years.

Carbon & Ti rule
    I'm pleased you liked it.

We have a motor home that we use to travel around Mtbing & it's great.

So damn good. What a nice country to live in a van and travel from spot to spot. The trails were great. The driving was great. The weather was great. The people were great. Seriously, I'm looking for a job there in a couple years.
    Raising money, my friend broke his neck Mtbing, Please Share link. http://givealittle.co.nz/cause/elliottkeys/donations

mtbr member
    Raising the I.Q's off both countries ;-)

:j/k:

-----------------------------------------------------------
    #1 resolution... Ride it like I stole it!!
    to err is human... to face plant is frickin hilarious!!