mtbr member
    Jun 2008

February,March,& April 2013

Hey Folks,

The Name is Derrick, and I'm from Oakridge, Oregon. I am planning on being in your Country
    next year,Feb,Mar,and April of 2013. Probably spend some time in Rotorua, Tauranga, and other places on the N. Island for a few weeks and then I would like to head to the S. Island. The Heli-Biking in Wanaka sounds like something I should do, and the trails on that Island sound amazing and just what I'm looking for. I have questions about camping, I'm planning on being on a bike for transportation also and would like to camp as cheaply as possible. It sounds like there is plenty of camping throughout the Islands,but, would like to know were the camping and mt.biking are near to each other and the best places I should check out. I'm an Expert level rider with a somewhat sadistic, endurance streak. I plan on bringing a Giant Reign 1. I do trail work and am a pretty nice guy.

Any info will be appreciated!
    Cheers
    Derrick

mtbr member

Hello Mayor of Oakridge!

Hey D-rock! It is a rainy day here so I was just looking on MTBR and happened to see your post. I found that this site isn't well used for riders here--at least not like it is used in Oregon. Try looking at the VORB site
    Vorb: Home: New Zealand, Mountain*Biking, Road*Cycling, Downhill*Racing, Cross*Country*Racing, Bicycle*Repair

It doesn't have as chatty of a forum thing going on but you can start to get an idea of what is going on in the New Zealand riding scene.

E

mtbr member
    Hey

Send me a PM with some more specific questions if you want.

Otherwise, there are plenty of camp sites around. Not sure how close you are wanting to be to trails, but most of the time you will find that it is just a relatively short ride to get to the start.

As for sadism, you will enjoy Central Otago. There are many great trails that require a certain level of craziness to get to!

Best of luck
    Shalom

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    If you're passing through Wellington, spend a day up Makara Peak.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    need to post to thread

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    me too.

mtbr member
    Me haha