mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Ecommerce companies in Australia and NZ?

Are there any big ecommerce companies, other than Torpedo7, that service Australia and NZ? Our company (Rockgardn) used to be sold by T7, and they were seemingly really successful with it, until about a year and a half ago when the global economy started to slide. It seemed like they had over-extended their credit lines for their cycling business, and also wanted to focus more of their capital in their One Day business.

We still get a bunch of inquires from your part of the world, so we'd be keen to find out if there's another player out there.

Thanks!

fan of maple syrup
    The Bike Shed Mortdale (http://www.tbsm.com.au/) are both an online presence and a physical shop. Plus they are big into DH stuff which is perfect for your Rockgardn range.

Other than that, there is a shop somewhere in Sydney ... Phantom Cycles I think it was called. But I don't think they're as popular as TBSM.

Either way, if folk are gonna buy online here in Australia, and it's for stuff like armour which rarely, if ever, needs to be warrantied etc, then it's cheaper to buy it off CRC/Wiggle/Jenson etc.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Cellbikes.com.au is both a shop and online store

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by nuclear_powered
    The Bike Shed Mortdale (http://www.tbsm.com.au/) are both an online presence and a physical shop. Plus they are big into DH stuff which is perfect for your Rockgardn range.

Other than that, there is a shop somewhere in Sydney ... Phantom Cycles I think it was called. But I don't think they're as popular as TBSM.

Either way, if folk are gonna buy online here in Australia, and it's for stuff like armour which rarely, if ever, needs to be warrantied etc, then it's cheaper to buy it off CRC/Wiggle/Jenson etc.
    Actually, we've only recently heard of Wiggle, and it happened to be through an Australian couple who were on vacation in the U.S., and stopped by our office to pick up some gear. Wiggle must be doing something right, as this couple was impressed with them.

So why is it cheaper to buy from offshore retailers? Do all of the local retailers have to buy through a domestic distributor, and that drives the prices too high?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    What's worse is that the postage costs from USA to OZ is only a tiny bit more than Sydney to Melbourne.... Go figure....

Fired Up, Here We Go
    No idea, but the majority of the time the prices on wiggle, CRC etc, are actually cheaper than what retailers can get for wholesale.

For example, just did a quick check on Shimano Webshop (LBS Shimano ordering system) for an XT RD, $61 from Wiggle, $84 not inc GST from Shimano Australia; and that's wholesale pricing!
    Australian Defence Cycling Club - Team ARMY

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I think most of the biker bike shops and those that are chain stores have a presence online so maybe you could try there.
    NZ is only a little place with about 4 million people so not a big mtb market
    An object in possession seldom retains the same charm that it had in pursuit. Pliny the Younger (62 AD - 114 AD)

Brian

mtbr member
    http://www.fortheriders.com.au/
    I have bought a few things from these guys, Mind I usually ring them and get a better price that advertised.
    South West Mountain Bike Club
    www.swmtbc.asn.au

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Theres www.bicycle.co.nz for nz, I've bought quite alot off them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nuclear_powered

Kerry just needs to get his website sorted out. Once that happens he may take over the world! He is pretty close to matching CRC prices too I believe. It is also my LBS, but before it was i used to travel 50km, with about 12 other bike shops within a 25km radius of where I lived, to buy from Kerry.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    http://fortheriders.com.au/

They are in Brisbane but ship Australia wide.

Phantom Cycles used to have a massive profile in Australia going back 5 or so years. Seems to be less the case nowdays.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I have heard that CRC ship more Shimano parts into Australia that Shimano do, which doesnt surprise me tbh.

I am having issues with Wiggle and delivery at the moment, been waiting over 3 weeks and it hasnt turned up.

Albany West Oz
    I have been waiting ages for Wiggle and CRC, I am pretty sure that something is going on with customs after some parcel bomb scares. What must a bottom bracket and a hub look like in xray!

fan of maple syrup
    I've never had problems with my Wiggling or CRC'ing. I've had my first "out of stock" instance just this last Wiggle order, but they explained it all very clearly, saying that if I got sick of waiting I could cancel for a refund. Since it was a saddle to replace the one that was going to go on my Genius once I sold it, I didn't mind waiting cos I was being very lazy about selling it anyway. Then in the space of 2 days the Genius was sold to a mate's mate and I was saddle-less. By stroke of luck, the next day Wiggle tell me the saddle is on it's way.

Not really that relavent a story sorry .... I'm just a bit knackered after my ride home and can't be bothered leaving my computer, and just felt like rambling. That breakfast bowl from this morning is starting to seem like a plausible urinal should the need arise.