Thread: Doongalla

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Doongalla

Hi everyone

just wondering if anyone has any tips for riding Doongalla. I've never been there but I found some maps on the BV website and thought I might give it a go. Just wondering where the best place to start is and if any direction is better than another.

nothing to see here
    We usually start at the gate at the top of the first hill on Sheffield Rd. Go straight towards Mt Dandenong and when you come to a cross road (fireroad) turn right and about 20 or so metres on your left there's the beginning of some singletrack. Then we climb up a fire trail to (I think) Doongalla Homestead picnic ground. Take the exit road which goes back down hill. About 1-200m after the sharp bend, keep an eye out on the left as there's a track which leaves the road on a sharp incline of about 4m. Follow this to the end, where you'll come across a gate. Cross the road here and there's more single track on the other side. This is the fun stuff. My knowledge fails me a bit here, but the singletrack basically follows the fenceline back to Sheffield Rd.

There's quite a few trails in this section, including some downhill style jumps and berms etc, and it gets very boggy when wet, as horses use it also. The loop I suggested runs clockwise.

Sorry, but that's the best I can do without showing you around there myself.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    That's awesome Stevob. That will be a good start for me and the rest I can figure out by exploring. Thanks heaps.

nothing to see here
    no prob
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    FYI
    A lot of the lower tracks (and maybe some others) are dedicated horse riding trails with 'no bikes allowed' signage. Never been a problem at 7.30pm mid winter, but with day light savings........?!
    Some horses freak out around bikes, which is a potentially dangerous situation,hence the signs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sime1810
    Hi everyone

just wondering if anyone has any tips for riding Doongalla. I've never been there but I found some maps on the BV website and thought I might give it a go. Just wondering where the best place to start is and if any direction is better than another.

G'day sime1810
    Any chances of posting the map that you got off BV?
    Me and my mates want to check out the Doongalla tracks ourself.

Thanks
    I wish I was fitter!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    http://media.bv.com.au:8080/file/dan...uide_03(1).pdf

I think it only really shows the management tracks but it could help with getting your bearings when you're out there.