Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    412

    Connect Happy Valley Track with Rifle Range Road

    Hi to all the St. Andrews riders,

    I'm looking at getting a longer ride on Sunday and I'm aiming at getting from Smiths to Kinglake so we can climb the Everard Track. I'd like advice on:

    1. How to connect Happy Valley track and Rifle Range if that's possible.
    2. How to get to Marshals from Rifle Range road, are they connected?

    I've read the St. Andrews thread but my rapidly ageing brain can't find the answer

    Thanks very much.

  2. #2
    nothing to see here
    Reputation: Stevob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,109
    I haven't done that area myself. Maybe Cowpat or Hud might know. Hopefully they'll be along before Sunday.
    I see hills.

    I want to climb them.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    412
    I appreciate you responding StevoB, cheers mate.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    483
    Quote Originally Posted by jathanas
    1. How to connect Happy Valley track and Rifle Range if that's possible.
    2. How to get to Marshals from Rifle Range road, are they connected?
    1. Two options: either head to Roberts Rd and follow that (gated at One Tree Hill Rd, pedestrian/bike bypass at left); or take Old Harry Track which starts at the right/south-east boundary of 295 One Tree Hill Rd and follow that. Roberts is boggy at the moment, don't know about Old Harry. Roberts is in Melways/Google, Old Harry is not. Be mindful that Old Harry wanders onto private land at times.

    2. Head straight across Buttermans and enter at the "private" driveway. It's not private despite what the signs say. Stick to the left and go up the hill with the water bars. Don't follow the right branch - that actually is private and goes to the house. Go to the top of the hill. There's a junction here - go straight across or veer rightish if anything.

    Have fun!

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    412
    Quote Originally Posted by cowpat
    1. Two options: either head to Roberts Rd and follow that (gated at One Tree Hill Rd, pedestrian/bike bypass at left); or take Old Harry Track which starts at the right/south-east boundary of 295 One Tree Hill Rd and follow that. Roberts is boggy at the moment, don't know about Old Harry. Roberts is in Melways/Google, Old Harry is not. Be mindful that Old Harry wanders onto private land at times.

    2. Head straight across Buttermans and enter at the "private" driveway. It's not private despite what the signs say. Stick to the left and go up the hill with the water bars. Don't follow the right branch - that actually is private and goes to the house. Go to the top of the hill. There's a junction here - go straight across or veer rightish if anything.

    Have fun!
    That's perfect cowpat, I'll see how much of this exists in MapSource. I might be able to churn out a route that'll guide me. Many thanks!

    I ride a Yeti ASRc, if you ever see me out there please meet and greet

    Cheers, Jim

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    483
    No worries. If you see a black Intense 6.6 that's me.

    But I misread point 2 - that's to go from Marshalls to Buttermans (like on the way back).

    To go Rifle Range to Marshalls: continue up Rifle Range to the gate. Straight on up the steeper section to the clearing at the top. Go straight across and follow the main-ish road down over the water bars. It exits opposite Marshalls. Try not to use the brakes.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    412
    I'll be on the lookout for a black - what else - Intense 6.6. No wonder you don't encourage braking, that thing would be a magic carpet ride going downhill...

    I'm thinking off this:

    1. Ride to the end of Happy Valley Track
    2. Right on One Tree Hill Road
    3. Enter Old Harry Track from 295 One Tree Hill (Right side boundary). Do I end up on Rifle Range or Buttermans Track ?

    4. Get on Marshalls
    5. Everard -> Old Kinglake -> Bundy Loop
    6. Return and hopefully have enough in the tank to tackle the Sugarloaf singletrack on the way back.

    To borrow a line from the great Dennis Cometti, I'm going into this optimistically but might come out misty-optically
    Last edited by jathanas; 09-08-2010 at 08:47 PM.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    483
    Quote Originally Posted by jathanas
    3. Enter Old Harry Track from 295 One Tree Hill (Right side boundary). Do I end up on Rifle Range or Buttermans Track ?
    Old Harry eventually ends at a little grassy clearing. If you go north you'll end up at the hilltop mentioned in (2). Or go right/east instead down Rocky Track then left/north at the junction with Roberts at the bottom which will take you to Buttermans.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    412
    Quote Originally Posted by cowpat
    Old Harry eventually ends at a little grassy clearing. If you go north you'll end up at the hilltop mentioned in (2). Or go right/east instead down Rocky Track then left/north at the junction with Roberts at the bottom which will take you to Buttermans.
    Lovely, I'll be back with a report on Monday.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jossa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    182
    Originally Posted by jathanas
    5. Everard -> Old Kinglake -> Bundy Loop
    IMO this loop is better the reverse way. Up the beginning of Everard, turn right and down Bundy, all the way up Old Kinglake and then (mostly) down the entire length of Everard.

    If you want a couple of short, steep climbs, there is a track across the Heidleberg-Kinglake Rd where Everard and Old Kinglake meet. It is about 600 mt to the top, then turn around and go back!!

    If you want a view of this loop, the imagery of this area on Google Earth is from 2009 after the fires so the trails are very visible due to the lack of vegetation cover.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    412
    Quote Originally Posted by jossa
    IMO this loop is better the reverse way. Up the beginning of Everard, turn right and down Bundy, all the way up Old Kinglake and then (mostly) down the entire length of Everard.

    If you want a couple of short, steep climbs, there is a track across the Heidleberg-Kinglake Rd where Everard and Old Kinglake meet. It is about 600 mt to the top, then turn around and go back!!

    If you want a view of this loop, the imagery of this area on Google Earth is from 2009 after the fires so the trails are very visible due to the lack of vegetation cover.
    Sounds like a cool suggestion I'll give the short/sharp climbs a go if the group has fresh legs by the time we get there.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    412
    I'm a happy wreck!

    I missed Old Harry track. 295 One Tree Hill road on the right side is gated and we were hesitant to enter. I ended up going right to the end of One Tree Hill, got on the main road, and then we cut into Buttermans track. Probably avoided boggy tracks like that.

    The climbing was constant, especially once on Marshals. That's great training for the BMC Classic in November and the Otway Odyssey as well. All up a very solid training session, especially given we did a short 20km singletrack loop at Smiths to begin with.

    Thanks to cowpat for the directions and jossa for the suggestion about how to tackle the Kinglage loop.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1
    U guys still ride through the "private property" road at the end of Rifle Range Road? i emailed bike SA and this is their response:

    "Thanks very much for bringing this to our attention. Yes, unfortunately it seems it is private property at the end of Rifle Range Road. This has been fixed on the Cycle Instead Journey Planner, available at - this is always up to date so is a great place to check for the latest Bikedirectnetwork changes, and it also works on your mobile if you have a smart phone, so you can check it on the go. To show the network on the journey planner click on ‘Show Legend’ in the right hand corner then tick ‘Bikedirect Network’. We’ve not yet been able to update our hard copy maps to reflect this, apologies."

    Quote Originally Posted by jathanas View Post
    I'm a happy wreck!

    I missed Old Harry track. 295 One Tree Hill road on the right side is gated and we were hesitant to enter. I ended up going right to the end of One Tree Hill, got on the main road, and then we cut into Buttermans track. Probably avoided boggy tracks like that.

    The climbing was constant, especially once on Marshals. That's great training for the BMC Classic in November and the Otway Odyssey as well. All up a very solid training session, especially given we did a short 20km singletrack loop at Smiths to begin with.

    Thanks to cowpat for the directions and jossa for the suggestion about how to tackle the Kinglage loop.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    483
    Quote Originally Posted by naruto83 View Post
    U guys still ride through the "private property" road at the end of Rifle Range Road? i emailed bike SA and this is their response:

    "Thanks very much for bringing this to our attention. Yes, unfortunately it seems it is private property at the end of Rifle Range Road. This has been fixed on the Cycle Instead Journey Planner, available at - this is always up to date so is a great place to check for the latest Bikedirectnetwork changes, and it also works on your mobile if you have a smart phone, so you can check it on the go. To show the network on the journey planner click on ‘Show Legend’ in the right hand corner then tick ‘Bikedirect Network’. We’ve not yet been able to update our hard copy maps to reflect this, apologies."
    I think you've got the wrong state...this topic was about Rifle Range Rd in St Andrews, Victoria.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •