mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Coming to NZ (Auckland) close by trail recommendation

Hey Guys,
    I will be in NZ (Auckland) area beginning of Sep and was wondering if someone could recommend good trail around and bike shop where I can rent a bike. I would prefer shop that is by the trail but don't mind renting and driving to the trail.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Based on the activity in this category, it doesn't look like many New Zealander's post in these forums. I am not sure where they really post, I have been here 3 years now and Pinkbike and Vorb also seem to be quiet these days.

To answer your question, the options are not be best in Auckland. Rotorua which is 2 hours away is amazing. Its a massive trail network with shuttles and lots of shops in town rent bikes.

In terms of Auckland itself, the 3 top riding spots are Woodhill Forest, Riverhead and Whitford Forest. I ride at the first 2, but haven't been to the 3rd. I see their trail updates on facebook though and they look good. Woodhill is about 45 minutes from the center of town and they hire hard tails. Woodhill Mountain Bike Park - Auckland's Homeground for Mountain Biking Riverhead is around 30 mins in the same direction. However, its very muddy and covered in clay, so its hard to ride in the winter. By September its usually starting to get better, but not guaranteed. I also don't know any place that hires full suspension bikes in the area which would be ideal for Riverhead.

This is the bike club for the Whitford forest. Pohutukawa Coast Bike Club I would flick them a note and see if they know any places that hire bikes.

Hopefully this helps as a starting point.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Hey,
    Thanks for your post. Looks like woodhill mountain might be the spot. Based on their website, I can get full suspension bike there now!

Carbon & Ti rule
    How long are you here for ?

Woodhill is quite good & you can have lots of fun there for sure.

If you are some how able to make the 2.5 hour drive to Rotorua from Auckland, The Redwoods is an awesome place to ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I would second making it to Rotorua if you have the time. It's quite unique. All of the trails pack very well, so its like a giant pump track across a massive forest.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post

If you are some how able to make the 2.5 hour drive to Rotorua from Auckland, The Redwoods is an awesome place to ride.
    I doubt I will find time to go to Rotorua. I am planning trip to Qeenstown which leaves me with one weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by ncipperly View Post
    I would second making it to Rotorua if you have the time. It's quite unique. All of the trails pack very well, so its like a giant pump track across a massive forest.
    2wks. but my calendar is getting booked really fast. Need to spend time with the parents so I would like to stay in close proximity of Auckland.

more carbon=more awesome
    Do you know where in Auckland you are staying... Or where your parents are?

Also, do you have any lights? Some mates and I have a regular Wednesday night ride at Woodhill. It'll be dark, but actually, now that I think of it they hire out lights as well.
    You'll be welcome to join us on that ride. I would also highly recommend making the drive South to Rotorua. The riding is just so good!
    Posting on the basis that ignorance shared is ignorance doubled.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by The Understater View Post
    Do you know where in Auckland you are staying... Or where your parents are?

Also, do you have any lights? Some mates and I have a regular Wednesday night ride at Woodhill. It'll be dark, but actually, now that I think of it they hire out lights as well.
    You'll be welcome to join us on that ride. I would also highly recommend making the drive South to Rotorua. The riding is just so good!
    I will be staying in Papakura, which is south of Auckland. I will try to go and ride in Rotorua but I am planning trip to South Island. So far looks like I will try to get to Woodhill on Sunday.

more carbon=more awesome
    What kind of riding do you like to do? More downhillish or more xcish, or somewhere in the middle?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

What kind of riding do you like to do? More downhillish or more xcish, or somewhere in the middle?
    Something in the middle. I like flawy single track. Where you do equal amount of climbing and DH

more carbon=more awesome
    That's Rotorua. I might see if I can free up a day to take you down if you're keen.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    If you are in Papakura The Hunua trails are another nearby option. Not sure how good they are as I haven't ridden there in years. If you're short of time and opportunities to ride are limited Woodhill is probably your best bet. But Hunua is another option as it's very near Papakura.

Hunua Trails | Auckland MTB Club

Queenstown also has plenty of great options.

Have fun.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

That's Rotorua. I might see if I can free up a day to take you down if you're keen.
    Sounds good! I will let you know when get closer to September. I just need to find place that i can rent bike from

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi_GR_Biker View Post
    If you are in Papakura The Hunua trails are another nearby option. Not sure how good they are as I haven't ridden there in years. If you're short of time and opportunities to ride are limited Woodhill is probably your best bet. But Hunua is another option as it's very near Papakura.

Hunua Trails | Auckland MTB Club

Queenstown also has plenty of great options.

Have fun.

That doesn't look bad at all. I might try it if I run out of time. It is close enough!!! Thanks

more carbon=more awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by navip View Post
    Sounds good! I will let you know when get closer to September. I just need to find place that i can rent bike from

That doesn't look bad at all. I might try it if I run out of time. It is close enough!!! Thanks
    I'm not too sure about where you could rent one near Papakura, but both Woodhill and Rotorua have excellent rental options.