mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Christchurch or rotorura?

looking to head to nz next year, and wanted some kiwi advice...should i ride the trails around christchurch, or rotorura?
    christchurch has some advantages (if i go in winter i may be able to ski as well
    but wanted the locals opinion- which is better for sweet, bermed, trail fun!
    cheers...

mtbr member
    if you want to do more skiing than riding ... christchurch
    if you want to do more riding than skiing ... rotorua

plenty of both? ... queenstown
    "old enough to know better. too old to care."

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Well it's a pretty tough question (but I'm biased as I live in Chch) Rotorua has heaps of really fabulous mtbike tracks concentrated into one forest, with lots of variety as to style, groomedness, elevation changes, etc. And in the winter they are much more likely to be rideable even if weather is a bit meh.

In Christchurch there is a core network of tracks close to the city that can be closed when weather is or has been wet. Those tracks also have a variety of styles, groomedness, and elevation changes. Beyond Chch however here are forest tracks in Hanmer (thermal springs town 90mins away), a couple of pleasant scenic routes on Banks Peninsula (Fitzgerald, Sign of Packhorse) , and 2 classic old tracks in native beech forest (Craigieburn and Wharfeldale, also 90mins drive away) so overall there might be a bit more variety in Chch / Canterbury.

But then again near Rotorua there are new-ish native forest tracks also (Whirinaki + another the name of which escapes me) + Wairakei Forest / Taupo tracks not far away .... Either way you should have a good time

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Christchurch has good trails but Rotorua has more serious trails in eye shot of the pub. My choice is Rotorua next year, April last week of there school holidays, bus runs each day. If you can do 5 runs on the bus (in a day) & not do the same track twice you're a champion.
    Rotorua has all the trail, downhill & uphill riding in a single forest making it my choice whilst Christchurch has the same but in different areas.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    As I live and ride in Rotorua I would have to vote for Rotorua. 60,000 people and 7 bike shops, says it all really.

As other have said, so much riding available in one place also you can head down to Taupo and ride W2K or Carters of the moon, Traverse 42 (all day ride) is the other side of Lake Taupo and you have Whirinaki as well.

Plus you have the hot pools to soak your aching bones in at the end of the day.

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    i live in CHCH and would recommend rotovegas. no question about it. you can loose yourself for weeks on the trails there regardless of the weather.

i love ridign in CHCH and the surrounds- but you can just "go ride" in rotovegas.....all day.....all week

rotovegas is just so much fun!

here are some images etc from a week long North Island trip http://www.paulpetch.com/tag/north-island/ there are heaps of Christchurch and surrounds images there too.

enjoy NZ it's fantastic.....

mtbr member
    don't listen to ilostmypassword because he lost his password and I picked it up and am impersonating him. Anyway, if I wasn't impersonating him he'd say the same thing. Rotorua

Carbon & Ti rule
    Rotorua but only if you can handle lots of fun.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    You want sweet bermed trail fun? Get thyself to Rotorua and find a little track called 'Corners'. 30 something walls of dirt to rail around. A good 4-5 days riding to be had here before the sulphur starts to put you off your food.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Rotorua aka Roto-Vegas but Vegas to the locals

Rotorua is the place if you want to ride you bike on the best trails in the country, Taupo just down the road is ok too. Actually the riding is so good you may want to consider immigrating and we would be happy to have you.

We had the world Singlespeed Championships here yesterday so the place is freak friendly too and if your not that way inclined there are some downhill bits that will bring tears to your eyes ... in a good way

http://www.riderotorua.com/

You get used to the smell and as a bonus any time you feel the need to fart let it go man and blame Mother Nature.
    An object in possession seldom retains the same charm that it had in pursuit. Pliny the Younger (62 AD - 114 AD)

Brian

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    And there's a couple of ski fields two hours from Rotorua or Taupo.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    The thing is...I am now thinking about doing christchurch, as I might want to tie my trip in with some rugby world cup action next year if I was to ride christchurch, is there a web resource with trailmaps etc?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    http://resources.ccc.govt.nz/files/p...racksrides.pdf

plus there are ;
    * Hanmer Forest mtbike tracks & Thermal Springs (90mins from Chch)
    * 2 classic singletrack rides in native forest / alpine terrain at Craigieburn, and Wharfedale (both approx 90mins from Chch)
    * some tracks on Banks Peninsula, incl the short-ish but fun Living Springs tracks

you won't be disapointed ...
    (unless the weather is excessively wet and Port Hills tracks are closed - poor soils mean they suffer badly in the wet, and the locals get very titchy)

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    thanks soooo much!
    love ya work! see you next october....

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ianthom
    The thing is...I am now thinking about doing christchurch, as I might want to tie my trip in with some rugby world cup action next year
    Rotorua has 3 world cup games and I am sure the ticket prices will be cheaper than ChCh.