what a joke

Canberra trail updates and suggestions.

Hi fellas, we are planning our annual MTB trip to Canberra for mid September. We usually ride Sparrow Hill, Stromlo and some trails out the back of the Canberra Motor Village. We have also done Majura a few times.

We have heard the Sparrow may be closed at the moment, can anyone confirm?

Where else should we ride, looking for good xc/am type trails.

We have Friday, Saturday and half of Sunday to ride.
    blah blah blah

nothing to see here
    I was up in Canberra for riding in the beginning of July. Sparrow Hill was still open and appears to remain so, with the link below stating that 70% of trails at Sparrow Hill are still accessible. I didn't find all of these, but it was my first time and I was riding solo. Logging has closed some tracks, but it's well signposted.

http://ridecanberra.com.au/
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

melon farmer
    Definitely Stromlo and Majura. We have had lots of rain here so Majura is very wet at the bottom of trails (Majura road/gate end), but still rideable. Stromlo is the best after heavy rain.

Sparrow was down to less than 50% of available trail last I was out there (a few months back now) - I doubt I'd bother unless it has opened up again.

The stuff behind canberra motor village (o'connor ridge) is expanding and a good workout but is straight up XC... no real tech there at all.

what a joke
    Thanks for the update fellas. Bummed about Sparrow being torn up though.

Any other suggestions?
    blah blah blah

what a joke
    Trip got postponed, going down the last weekend in October now.

Any updates on Sparrow Hill?
    blah blah blah

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Its wet now, everywhere but it'll be fine. It only stays wet a little time here.

Sparrow still has a pretty good sign posted 14km loop, Majura is muddy with rivers flowing today but it will dry out and Stromlo is in the main bomb proof

melon farmer
    rode the 14km loop out at sparrow last weekend and it was good times. two loops was a good workout. some trail work being done by a small team to keep it open as much as possible. many, many thanks to this crew.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    "Where else should we ride."

Consider riding from Yaouk to Coolamine Homestead. Or from the Naas River Valley to the Coolamon Plain. Or from the Turpentine Road to Jerrimandra Creek ... if you prefer the warmer nights? ... or even colder, ride down to the Grey Mare Bogong.

Once you get to the saddle at the top of Lone Pine Fire Trail, you can see about 120 kilometres South to Mount Kosciuszko over Mount Jagungal. Stay in Oldfield's Hut on the 1st night or ride another dozen clicks to Coolamine Homestead, and then make your return.

This is one of the best rides in this district (if not the best) and don't miss out on diverting to ride the fire trail from Leura Gap down to Oldfield's Hut, this fire trail makes most north shore structures, look short lived ... and somewhat pallid.

Caves Creek Fire Trail from Black Mountain in the Coolamon Ranges to Coolamine Homestead (still on the same route) is equivalent in class to riding from the 15 Mile Ridge NE of Round Mountain into the Jagungal Wilderness ,,, including riding the trails of Round Mountain which is uber spectacular.

Warren.

PS, There is no need to thank me in the morning young Spinners. I've done this ride several times during the past 20 years (including going down to Jagungal and Grey Mare Bogong) and I've walked it, going over the Goodradigbee River, Mount Jackson and over Mary's Hill ,,, but it's far better done on the bike.

PSS, If you were to ride the Ada Road from the Turpentine Road in the Northern Budawang Ranges (aka Newhavin Gap Road), to Jerrimandra Creek via (either) the Redgrounds Track or the Quilty's Mountain Fire Trail then onto the Alum Mountain Fire Trail (then to Jerrimandra Creek) ... I'll guarantee that in 50 years from now, you will still be thinking and talking about this trip. Only 80 minutes from Canberra ... a post I put on 'grazyguy' ... http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?...c_id=7644&v=A9

Good views, deep valleys, good water but with a few hills going into Coolamon Plain.

Nice Frost Plains, with good water. Cold at night though. The water this season is fantastic. You might notice on the maps it says "PERMITS REQUIRED" that's just the public servants wanking themselves to make themselves feel important. There is no one there Mate, so don't worry about that. If you like the wildlife? there are stacks of Stinkers, Red Shoulders and Eastern Greys. The wriglers are Eastern Browns, Copperheads up high ... and the odd Tiger.

Coolamine Homestead on the Coolamon Plain. I've been to Coolamine many times. It is fantastic ride from Canberra (I live in Macgregor that's about as far away as it gets in the ACT). The Lone Pine Fire Trail will certainly test novice riders ... but masochists will get right off on it.

The Grey Mare Bogong and Jagungal. The Grey Mare Bogong must be somewhere on the moon? ... or just a couple of day's riding south of here? If you can sustain a 100 klicks a day, you'll be down and back in 4 days. Take the Bicentennial National Trail and turn off at 15 Mile Ridge.

Have you ridden on the Cullerin Range north of Canberra from the old Hume Highway through the unfenced pastures at Lerida to the Lake George Escarpment? Now that is tres cool. Totally tres cool and truly rural.

Warren.
    Last edited by Wild Wassa; 10-27-2010 at 03:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Drive to the locked gate at Bull's Head, and ride to Mount Ginini. Check with National Parks, to find the status of the gate.

Or try Goorooyaroo Natue Reserve starting at the Horse Camp Drive entrance that is close to the Fedral Highway. Take the main track into the Mulligan's Flat Nature Reserve and at the border gate (where Goorooyaroo NR becomes Mulligan's Flat NR) immediately join the Border Track (just 50 metres to your right beside the fence, don't head down hill into the enclosure, . Stay on the Border Track until you reach the Schisstus Ridge Track then head South along the ridge to the Old Coach Road then ride back to the car. If you like riding with wildlife and seeing amazing trees, Goorooyaroo and Mulligans will blow you away. A premier ride here in the ACT. In the late afternoon this place comes alive with the wildlife.

Have you seen the 'Wicked Rides' site? The guys have done some amazing rides and the rides are comprehensively detailed ... including a crossing the Tinderries. The Tinderry Range is wild.

Warren.
    Last edited by Wild Wassa; 10-27-2010 at 03:26 PM.

fan of maple syrup
    Just got 2 new 24in IPS monitors. Amazing how much different Wassa'a HDR images look.