what a joke

CANBERRA-ACT // Park at Sparrow and Access Kowen Forrest Trails?

I will be in the ACT this weekend with my family and another family to do some riding. I have been told I can park at Sparrow and ride then get back on the road and ride a bit further east and then turn off to the left and get access to Kowen Forest trails? Is that right and are the trails clearly marked?

Is sparrow still rideable since the logging has been happening?
    blah blah blah

mtbr member
    Here is a map of the Mont course MAP!

On the map the clear section at the bottom in the middle that says Kings Highway is the parking area at Sparrow. Head back to Orchard Rd and go in from there. I have not done it myself but that's what ive herd is the best way to do it. Pretty sure there are signs when you get there but you shouldn't miss the trail, at the end of the Mont it was pretty wide. Have not ridden Sparrow for a while but I know of people that have and it was all ok. That was a couple of months ago so things could have changed.

Enjoy the ride.

mtbr member
    Park at Sparrow Hill, then cross the road and ride along next to the highway towards Bungendore for about 100m, then you'll see two gates on your left. Go through the gate on the right, then follow that fire trail for a couple of hundred metres before the single track ducks off to the right. The course is not super well marked but it's pretty easy to follow, there are a couple of sections where you come out onto firetrail and can't see where the next bit of singletrack starts, but it's never far away. Just follow the mtb tyre tracks! There's also a few markers tied to trees to help you find your way. Along the Mont course you'll have to go through 3 or 4 gates during the loop as well.

what a joke
    Thanks for the info fellas!

How long is the Mont loop in total?

How much of Sparrow is rideable?
    blah blah blah

mtbr member
    Mont is 18ks- 1 lap for me was just on 1 hr, my speed was probably somewhere in the middle of everyone. I think there is a 12k loop still rideable at Sparrow.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Mate , just a warning about the weather here, if you are not used to the cold? Consider rugging-up, I didn't have full finger gloves today. I though that the day would warm up. Wrong. The chill factor was not nice.

Today it snowed from the Mullion near Yass, on the Blue Range through the Brindies to as far south in the Alps, as the eye could see, from the summit of Stromlo. Bulls Head was white all day.

Some shots from today, out past Deep Creek behind Stromlo, to near Mount Arawang and then back over Western Wedgetail. I took these shots each time the snow showers stopped.

Warren.
    Last edited by Wild Wassa; 06-21-2011 at 11:49 PM.

what a joke
    Nice pics!

Thanks for the heads up on the temps. Tonight's ride was 8c with a windchill of 3.6c, glad I had my thermals on! Will make sure the rest of the crew the warm gear as well.
    blah blah blah

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Cold, Meh, pedal harder.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    ozlongborder, I sold you a furphy about the weather Mate, sorry.

Today was one of the nicest days, we've had this season.

The snow that fell mid-week on the lower ranges, has all but melted. The Booth Range below.

I hope you had a great time, out at Sparra's. It was nice out in the Bimberi today and windless for a change ... and totally cloudless. So different from when you posted, when it was -2.3C at midday and 1.7C in the late afternoon, with the chill factor included.

Looking past the Clear Range towards the Tinderry Range. It was 9C at 4pm today, when I was at 1400m and reached 17C in the city.

If it your custom to bring such excellent weather with you when ever you travel, please come again.

Warren.
    Last edited by Wild Wassa; 06-25-2011 at 04:08 PM.

what a joke
    We had fantastic weather all weekend!

Did 2 laps of sparrow with my wife......she loved it!

We then rode Stromlo on Sunday and managed to avoid the racers on all but 99% of the trails we hit.
    blah blah blah

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    stunning photos