mtbr member

a Canadian in a foreign land. need some help

Hey everyone, I'm in search of some advice for an upcoming trip to Australia. Where to ride? Where to rent bikes? We are staying in Perth for 4-5 days then back to the east coast for the remander of the time. Any tours worth joining or would we be bored as hell on them? Any club rides, weekly race series, etc etc. All input would be welcome There From October 20 to November 3.

Thanks
    Matt

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    I don't know of any regular members from Perth on here so you may not get much help here.
    The MTB scene may not be very big over there.
    One thing West Aus is well known for is the Munda Biddi trail, not sure if its your sort of thing though.
    The twenty-nine inch wheel.

mtbr member
    Hi

Not sure what your options would be in terms of hiring bikes here. You might want to check out the Western Australian Mountain Bike forums and/or the WA section of the Australian Cycling forums.

Regards
    Andrew

mtbr member
    Thanks for the links guys. Really looking forward to the vacation. any reco0mndations of shops that rent? Would prefer to ride something half decent when we're there.

Matt

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt 24 solo View Post
    Thanks for the links guys. Really looking forward to the vacation. any reco0mndations of shops that rent? Would prefer to ride something half decent when we're there.

Matt
    The only place I am aware of is Home + About Bike Hire. No idea about the bike quality but.

Andrew

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    A destination that appeals to me (and many, many others) is Melrose in South Australia. The town and 'Over Edge' bike shop host a very cool (from what I've read/heard) biking event on superb trails. Also the bike shop hires out some great steads. Heres a link:-

Bikes / Hire | Over The Edge

Just a thought.

mtbr member
    thanks for the link. I'll admit that I would much rather be riding something along this line. not sure the last time I rode something sub XTR, a little bit spoiled.

Thanks again everyone, of course please don't stop them coming.

Matt

MTB Noob
    Jan 2010
    One of your best options on the east coast would be a DH tour in the Snowy Mountains, snow's all melted by then. You pretty much pay to hire very good quality DH bikes, all your gear and ride the chair lifts all weekend! Pretty sure they're run out of Jindabyne, NSW. You can always get up to Mt. Kosciuszko (Australia's highest peak) from there too? With a pair of binochulars, you can actually see New Zealand!

Otherwise, Canberra is MTB capital of Oz (not just the nation's capital). You'll find heavenly single track for days and days. Not sure where to hire bikes from though? Just rock up to any bike shop and demo some full-carbon dualie for nothing, just gotta pretend to be buying, ha ha.

Be happy to show you round, if you're keen?

mtbr member
    that would be awesome. we will have more travel details planned as we get closer to october. would be great to be shown around by a few locals.

matt

MTB Noob
    Jan 2010
    Great, well PM me some details if you're keen and i guess we can sort something out.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    If you do head to Canberra Pete from Capital Bike Hire -
    Capital Bicycle Hire, Canberra: Mountain Bike Hire & Tours, Heli Mountain Biking
    can sort you out. Let him know AB sent you and he'll charge you double...

I ride during the week so feel free to join me if you want

mtbr member
    For Sydney (and surrounds) trails, races, social rides etc check out Trailflix and Nobmob - lots of good info there.

Also have a look at Rotorburn which is a local mtb forum.

I'm recovering from an AC separation 10 days ago, and am going to be off the trails for a few months , so can't offer to show you around. But there are plenty of social rides advertised on those sites I've mentioned.

Concur with the recommendation to go to Canberra - awesome riding there.