mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Camper van hire/rental?

Hello,

I'm planning a return trip to NZ this coming March and thinking of doing a camper van hire for transport/lodging in one. Any suggestions for good value, bike friendly companies to look into for a 18 day (or so) hire?

Flying into and out of Auckland around the first of March and looking to explore more of the North Island and the northern South Island.

Any recommendations for especially good campgrounds, don't miss tracks and areas with mellow dirt road or low traffic pavement riding with my wife close to great singletrack would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance, and I'd be pleased to provide similar local knowledge for anyone planning a trip to the New England states

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Bump.... or any better source for an answer?

mtbr member
    TBH if you've only got 18 days I'd suggest flying Auckland-Christchurch and picking up the van from there. Don't know which company is best, but in 18 days you could do a pretty good loop around most of the South Island (go right up to Nelson, work your way back down the west coast to Queenstown, then back up to Christchurch) with plenty of good riding along the way.

You could drive Auckland-Christchurch, but you'll have to pay for the ferry crossing and probably a one-way hire fee. You could go via Rotorua and Taupo to catch some of the best riding in the North Island, then drive to Wellington (great place if you like beer!), ferry to Picton, over to Nelson and down the west coast. But IMO unless you specifically want to see parts of the North Island, option #1 would be better.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Thanks-actually thinking somewhat along those lines, and just renting a car or van in Christchurch, heading up to Nelson for a week in that area, then flying to Auckland and renting a camper van there after spending a little time on the Coromandel.

Carbon & Ti rule
    So how's all the plans going ?
    Raising money, my friend broke his neck Mtbing, Please Share link. http://givealittle.co.nz/cause/elliottkeys/donations

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Some changes

Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    So how's all the plans going ?
    Basic itinerary about the same, but now thinking of doing car hire plus private rooms in hostels instead of the camper van.

A week in Nelson and surrounding areas, then back to Auckland and over to the Coromandel near Whitianga, then a few days in Rotorua and the rest of the time in the Bay of Islands.

Thinking of bringing my bike instead of renting, hopefully it will count as my one checked bag. Looking forward in three weeks to daily top of the South Island riding, seafood and craft beer, and flat whites, likely in that order!

mtbr member
    If you're into beer try get at least a night in Wellington! The rest of the country is starting to catch up (and the Nelson region is second only to Wellington, IMO), but Wellington is still the place to be for beer. Go to the cellar door at Garage Project to taste some of the crazy (and not so crazy) stuff they have available, and check out the Malth House, Little Beer Quarter, Hashigo Zake and any number of the other beer-orientated inner city pubs.

I'm up north (Whangarei), and while there is a bit of riding up this way I'm guessing you'll probably be more interested in checking out the beaches/water if you're heading to the BOI. If you've been to Nelson/Rotorua you'll certainly have seen the best trails we have to offer, so make the most of the coast up here!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by David R View Post
    If you're into beer try get at least a night in Wellington! The rest of the country is starting to catch up (and the Nelson region is second only to Wellington, IMO), but Wellington is still the place to be for beer. Go to the cellar door at Garage Project to taste some of the crazy (and not so crazy) stuff they have available, and check out the Malth House, Little Beer Quarter, Hashigo Zake and any number of the other beer-orientated inner city pubs.

I'm up north (Whangarei), and while there is a bit of riding up this way I'm guessing you'll probably be more interested in checking out the beaches/water if you're heading to the BOI. If you've been to Nelson/Rotorua you'll certainly have seen the best trails we have to offer, so make the most of the coast up here!
    Thanks for the advice-probably not hitting Wellington this trip since we are flying back to Auckland from Nelson. We did on the last one in part to see a friend who owned a great restaurant there. He's now in Auckland with three new spots, so will hopefully see him again. Another acquaintance is the head brewer at 8 Wired in Blenhiem, so will likely stop by when in Nelson.

Really looking forward to the BOI as it will all be new-any suggestions for riding or must-do's are very much appreciated.