mtbr member

Cairns riding suggestions.

I'm leaving tomorrow from SA and I'm driving to Cairns. I am taking my bike and I would like to ride it when I get there can someone please tell me anything you can about the trails. I dont really know anything but I have a few days of driving there to find out. Any suggestions of where to go or even what tyres would be good for the local terrain. If there is a resort that backs onto trails well that would be cool to know about too. Any info at all would be appreciated as I've never been there and I don't want to waste too much time while I'm there.
    Your never too old to have a happy childhood!

mtbr member
    World-class mountain biking in the tropics | RideCairns Your're right at the holly grail of MTBing in Australia, there is a lot of history in Carirns. Smithfield is where the world cup was held last year. It also held the world cup in 95 and the world champs in 96. Atherton lok very tasty as well.

I have never ridden up there before but it is high on my to do list. Enjoy.

fan of maple syrup
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben_M View Post
    I have never ridden up there before but it is high on my to do list. Enjoy.
    I think there's another UCI World Cup round there in 2016. I'm hoping to make it up and get some riding in at the same time. Little one will be 2 and a bit by then ... wonder if she'll be able to keep up with me on a balance bike?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Feel free to email me at jamescbrennan @ hotmail . com. I moved here a year ago and have been out exploring some of the amazing trails here. Everything from world cup DH and old school DH straight down the mountain through rainforest, to world cup XC, wild trails, groomed trails, and 5 hour epics through the rainforest where you feel totally lost. I'd be happy to make recommendations or even show you around a bit. I ride a few times a week and would be happy to have you along and show you the best of Cairns.

mtbr member
    James I have not been able to internets and check this forum I have a ride booked with Cairn MTB tours tomorrow and Im on the all mountain tour. If you happen to see this tonight could you let me know what tyres would be more suitable for the local trails. Schwalbe rocket rons or maxxis ardent race? Going by the morning down pours Im assuming that the trails will be muddy.
    Your never too old to have a happy childhood!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Please do tell how the All Mountain tour went. I'll be in cairns next week and I'm looking forward to trying out the trails. Are the all mountain trail tours worth it and truly all mountain? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Hi John85D. I have not ridden with the tours, but I see them out on the trails and have heard they are good. If you are interested in doing more riding and not paying for tours every day, I would be happy to show you around. I usually ride 2-3 times per week and would be happy to show you around a bit depending on what you are looking for and your riding level. You can email me at jamescbrennan @ hotmail dot com.

Unfortunately next weekend may not be a great time for riding. We are potentially looking at a cyclone hitting late this week and into the weekend. Depending on that, it may make the trails unrideable, at least for the first part of next week.

But, if you shoot me an email, we can chat and I'll keep you up to date on the trail conditions.

Later,
    James

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Hi James,
    Thanks for the kind offer. I won't be in Cairns until the first week of April so I hope the weather conditions have improved by then. I'll get in touch with you soon.