Thread: Buxton Trails

mtbr member

Buxton Trails

Went for a ride around the Buxton trails for the first time on the weekend and came away really impressed. Ended up doing both loops, with loop 2 standing out as the best option, mainly for the excellent downhill section near the end of the lap. Also ,every trailhead should have it's own running creek...to hear that and know the car is only a few corners away is a great thing after a few laps!!

I took some photos while i was there too. It was bone dry - so nice after our lovely 'summer' not to have to spend 1 hr cleaning the bike after a ride.

2011 Kona Dr. Dew
    2010 Giant Trance X2
    2008 Giant Rincon

nothing to see here
    Thanks for the reminder to get back up there before winter. And do the lake mountain thing again as well.

Looked like perfect riding weather.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

Ride Good or Eat Wood
    Must add that one to the must do and tick list!!
    "Though my life is changing fast,
    My roots are planted in the past,
    Who I am, is who I want to be
    "

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Went to Buxton Sunday afternoon with Jem(12) and did the short loop three times (as he is not a fan of climbing) Took my Niner Air9 for it's first outing too which was a lot of fun.

Met some first timers back at the carpark after their ride and through conversation discovered that they had totally missed the fun No.5 Spider Gully stuff and had come down No.9 Skinny Trail instead. So we took them back out on the short loop and pushed up No.9 to rejoin the long loop. So much fun out there.

Also finally found No.8 Friendly Fox but only by going in reverse and finding the entrance overgrown with bracken. No wonder I kept missing it. Visible now.

Great to see some more building happening out there too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Buxton Trails-img_1604.jpg  

mtbr member
    That Spider Gully part is fantastic. IMO it reminded me of Red Carpet at Forrest for some reason. It's also now my favourite decent taking the crown from Cressy's at the youies.

I would have taken pictures but was too busy enjoying the rollercoaster ride!!
    2011 Kona Dr. Dew
    2010 Giant Trance X2
    2008 Giant Rincon

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    4 of us got out to Buxton Monday morning, ended up doing just over 21 kms. Kinda did the long loop then some back tracking cause we ended up back at the carpark and missed the downhill thru the ferns. Then did a shorter loop, but included the ferned descent again.Guessing it was spider gully ? Heaps of fun. Seems like some newer tracks have been cut recently, or at least since i was out there a year or so ago. Saw no one else on the tracks but there were a few cars by the time we got back to the carpark. Well worth the 2 hr drive.

Cheers

Fired Up, Here We Go
    Looks like my Easter trail ride location has been decided
    Australian Defence Cycling Club - Team ARMY

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Did another trip out there on Sunday where we did the short loop and then headed out to check out loop no.1 which wasn't there last time we rode the longer loop.

It started to pour after about 15mins in and the new stuff became very slippery, a front wheel washout by Jem at speed saw him sliding down the trail shirtless (cos his esi grips were slippery in the wet and he was using his tshirt to help hold on)
    No major damage so we pushed on in the pouring rain and had a ball and cant wait to go back and ride the new stuff again when it isn't so wet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Buxton Trails-img_1716.jpg  

Buxton Trails-img_1718.jpg  

Buxton Trails-img_1711.jpg  

Buxton Trails-img_1731.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Yeah Sicwombat it seems to be pretty easy to miss Spider Gully as when you come down the Acheron Ridge trail to a right hander at the bottom the flow takes you into a left hander No.9 Skinny trail very naturally whereas to keep going right along Dashy's Dips trail No.4 doesn't feel so natural. But that takes you to Spider Gully,
    Found ourselves doing that on Sunday but quickly realized and backtracked , it looks to be quite common by the look of the trail wear.
    In the past when I have ridden there Skinny trail wasn't all that noticeable.
    Hopefully in time they will get some trailhead signage up.

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    The new rig is looking fantastic!
    The twenty-nine inch wheel.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    A few laminated maps in the dirt at various positions made a difference, as did the pink ribbon with loop1 or loop 2 tags affixed. Would be great to see some permanant signage of some sort.