mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Brisbane area, Jan-Feb '11

Hi from California,

Will be in the Brisbane area early next year for two weeks. Currently harvesting info to have some fun biking experiences in your beautiful country.

Wife and I will be looking to hire bikes. Seeking intermediate to advanced CC singletrack; we like pedaling uphill, too. Not so hot to ride fire roads, but for a good run...

Any directions you can point us are greatly appreciated!

Mike

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    A good place to start would be http://www.mtbdirt.com.au/

Has all the info you need for trails in and around the South-east Queensland/Brisbane area. Ive never ridden there but some good places to check out would be Daisy Hill and Mt Coot-tha/Gap Creek. There are probably lots of others but these two seem to rate pretty highly.

Heres some info on these trails...

Daisy Hill

Mt Coot-tha/Gap Creek

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    mella, Thanks for the info! First glance, it looks super nice... Cheers.

m

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Yep those trails look sweet. Id better get up there myself sometime !!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Hehe. Come on out, I'll buy the beer. Maybe even have one after the ride.

Seriously, I'll holler here when we're there. Always liked hanging with the Australians; have met several shredders in Yosemite. We're likely to be there Jan 25 - Feb 7. Cheers, mella.

mtbr member
    >3 characters
    Last edited by MagicCarpet; 11-27-2010 at 04:09 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Heaps of riding to do close to the city. It depends a little on your accommodation and whether you are mobile or not but there are options for that too. Someone has already mentioned MTB Dirt and that is a good option too. It is a local site with a pretty strong community that should see you with plenty of offers for guides. Heck, if you drop me a message a little closer I might be able to show you around a couple of fun spots too. Just a bit too far out to commit just yet. Bear in mind it will be pretty hot then. Not sure where you are from but 35 celsius won't be out of the question and possibly quite humid too.

Full of hot air
    Hey there Californianes. I'm a born & bred Brisbanite & have been here for 43 years. It's a big city in that it spreads out for 50-80km in any one direction from the CBD. Not a huge population just heaps of wide open space between trail areas.

I'm only 12km from the CBD towards the north west & we're surrounded by trail networks here. Brisbane Forest Park or (BFP) extends from the Bunya trail network which is a small pocket of 70% single track & 30% fire roads. There's about 30-40km of trails in the Bunya area, but if you keep heading west through Ironbark Gully & beyond towards Mt Nebo there would be 100's of km of gravel fire roads with big 7-10km climbs & elevations ranging from 100m to 600m. (Mt Glorious)

Other areas as mentioned above are Gap Creek & Daisy Hill which are predominently single track. Gap creek is only about 8km from the CBD & Daisy Hill about 20km south.

A few photos for you from deep in the BFP area. These tracks are up to 50km from where I live, but you can drive with in 10-20km of most of them.

Tastes like carbon

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Fabulous help here at mtbr! You guys are the bomb. Much gratitude for all your suggestions, photos and psyche. Sounds like no shortage of possibilities as long as we stay hydrated. Extra thanks to MagicCarpet for all the convenience offerings.

Looking forward to some good times down there. Thanks again to all for the international goodwill.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    One more humble request...

Can bikes be hired in Brisbane? Thanks in advance for tossing me any shop names if you can.

You guys are getting me psyched up to do some serious sweating. Cool gallery, Zepinator!

Mike