mtbr member

Boring topic - Insurance

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has their bikes covered under home and contents insurance without them being a 'listed item'? My current steed is running at $6500 and when i mention it, it ups the premium by 10% of the item per year (ie $650 extra per year!). Without mentioning the bikes, most policies have $1000 limit for 'sporting goods'.

If you have found an economical way to insure your bikes for both at home and in use, could you let us know?

Cheers,

C

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    AAMI cover at home has no special conditions on bicycles or sporting goods (except for motorised vehicles requiring registration or something like that), so they are covered for the full amount. Portable property cover is limited to $1000 per bike unless listed.

fan of maple syrup
    I'm with AAMI too ... so, what he said ^

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    We are with Oamps and I've tacked my - now 3, bikes onto the house and contents. Last year I had around 12k worth of bikes and it was only a few hundred IIRC. The important thing was to have them specifically listed.
    The twenty-nine inch wheel.

mtbr member
    try Allianz, their not bad apparently.

mtbr member

Cyclecover

I've got my home and contents insured with cyclecover
    The bikes are not required to be listed but can be they are covered at all times including travelling for a proportion of the year.
    I think you can also get crash insurance and racing insurance with these guys
    The premiums were slightly higer than the previous insurer when I changed over (~$100 max)

fan of maple syrup
    I looked into the portable cover and was turned off by the premium-hikes. I figure if I'm ever out & about with my bikes, they're always attached to the car I'm driving, or under my arse while riding, so the possibility of theft (for me, in these cases) is nil. If it ever happened, however, I'd just go home, sledgehammer the garage door open and call the cops about the break-in. Maybe upgrade a few tools while I'm at it.

mtbr member
    Cool, thanks all for the quick replies. I'll have a look at the mentioned policies and see what happens. Had an accident last year commuting and our policy covered it, but when we went to renew this year, no cover (or very expensive) for the bikes.

thanks again,

C

p.s. have bought a block of land and building a house in Hurstbridge (vic). We've been riding Smiths Gully for years, anyone know of an offroad route to Kinglake? C

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by chuggboy
    We've been riding Smiths Gully for years, anyone know of an offroad route to Kinglake?
    Rifle Range, Marshalls, Everard would be the most direct. There's a track in One Tree Hill reserve that comes out on the south boundary of 295 One Tree Hill Rd and heads into Rifle Range. That's probably the most "off-road" option to get to Rifle Range but you're going to have to climb said track. Have a look at the St Andrews thread for other ideas.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    My girlfriend and I have our bikes covered by our Cycle Safe contents insurance. They're covered anywhere, for anything, except racing I believe. Even if I crash the bike I'm still covered I think.

I actually just made a claim after my bike fell off the roof of the car on the freeway. Looks like they're going to cut me a check for a couple of hundred bucks for some repairs. Pity the excess was $500 for bikes being carried on the top of cars, they must fall off alot. The damage to the bike was minor, but if it had been run over the insurance would have paid for itself many times over.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I've just had a payout come through from Allianz after having my Rush lifted from the garage. Smashed off the back door lock, cut the chain and out the back lane. I made the claim on standard contents as I only had $1200 listed for sporting goods. Allianz have been good, although not looking forward to my next premium. I basically got the as new replacement value paid out minus the initial $200. They have a policy of crediting payouts to one of the larger chain of LBS in Melbourne which wasn't at all appealing, but I was able to get a quote for the current model of the bike that was stolen from my LBS and they have given them the credit to that value. New bike shopping tomorrow..

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Good job! Boring topic - Insurance

When shopping around for an insurance policy, look for the best priced package that is right for you - prices can vary from one insurance company to the next. And make sure you know what you want. Some individuals, for example, prefer 24-hour claims service or face-to-face contact with an insurance representative. Also consider the claims settlement process, the amount of the deductible and the extent of the replacement coverage. Insurance companies and the policies they offer are not all the same, so think about more than just the price.