mtbr member

Bikepacking options in Western Australia?

I'm getting the urge to return to OZ but this time on the west side. I'm thinking June-July 2017. I'm wondering about bikepacking options along the coast or anywhere interesting. I've even considered just fat biking along the coast forever but I don't know if you are allowed ride on the beaches there. I'd probably fly in and out of Perth but would consider other options. On my last trip we rented a camper van and toured around from Victoria to QLD hitting small towns and various attractions along the way. I'd want to do a similar thing but on bikes this time. Bike and camp for a couple of days between resupplies. Seeing that WA is more arid than the east is the frequency of water resupply a big issue? Any suggestions? Also, are their options for renting bikes so I don't have to deal with getting mine there? Thanks, Chris

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    The obvious place to think about is the Munda Biddi trail, which is 1000km long and runs through of variety of coast and countryside. Plenty of information and hire options here: https://www.mundabiddi.org.au/

mtbr member
    Thanks for the tip. I'm wondering how cold it will be going south from Perth in the winter? I was thinking of heading north to warmer weather.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Depends on what you are used to but not properly cold. Albany, the southern most point of the Munda Biddi has a mean daily maximum of 15.8C in July (you can get climate statistics here: Western Australia Weather and Warnings). Get a southwesterly wind of the ocean and it will feel colder, but personally I reckon a mid teens riding temperature is pretty nice. Winter months do get more rain so that's something to consider.

Heading north from Perth, unless you do a run up the coast you will quickly start having to consider water and supply issues. My suggestion is to head on over to Touring Australia - Australian Cycling Forums - Bicycles Network Australia, have a search and start asking questions there if necessary. Plenty of WA locals frequent it who will be happy to help out

mtbr member
    Thanks!