mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Best bike type for WA?

Recently relocated to the area and trying to decide what to go for...

Argument for full suspension: rocky, no major climbs where the efficiency gains of a hardtail are important

Argument for hard tail: not a lot of roots, not a lot of DH, a lot of desert

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I'm quite happy on my hard tail, although I'd love an FS it wouldn't be as justifiable as if I was riding around Wales. The rocks on the trails are either smooth and rideable or baby heads that you'd want to avoid anyway.
    Rocky Mountain 2003 Hammer, 2009 Vertex 70 RSL, 2012 Element 970
    2012 Wilier Triestina Gran Turismo

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Depends where you are. Around Perth is very rocky and i would hate to be riding a hard tail around here. Down south is much nicer and probably better suited to hardtail.

I AM I AM
    Yeah my first thought was "which area" there is a whole lot of WA out there!

Consider price point too, you'll get a hardtail with nicer components if your budget isn't huge. For example below $1500 I'd definitely go for a HT.

If you ride heaps you might want the confort of a dually, if you don't get to go out as often as you might like then you might enjoy more of a challenge on the HT.

HT's are lighter and lower maintenance too. And if you're a lightweight sort of person they might be a better choice anyway (can be hard to tune air suspension so it's nice when you're only 60kg for example....just check the air pressure stickers on some forks).

But a lot of people are liking duallies these days, buy the right sort for your riding, set it up properly and it might not be that much heavier or that much less efficient than a HT anwyay!