Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Anyone up for riding out at Plenty Gorge?

Anyone up for riding at Plenty Gorge during the week as a mostly regular sort of thing?

All this wet weather and chill and I need to harden up a little, haven't been riding nearly enough.

Probably the easyish southside loop only as the river's likely to stay too high to cross over winter.

I'd join in all the fun and merriment at the Cog every week but it's a big trip in busy traffic to get out there and back.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cowpat View Post
    All this wet weather and chill and I need to harden up a little, haven't been riding nearly enough.
    same here
    08 giant reign x1
    09 mongoose tyax elite
    09 avanti derelikt

fan of maple syrup
    Yeah I need to harden up as well. By south do you mean starting at Kariboo? Haven't ridden that side in ages. Wish we could plant some decent massive concrete stepping stones for the crossings.

I'm keen to make it a regular thing.

Sent from my Atrix with Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Yes starting from Kariboo.

That side doesn't have as many scratchy bushes intruding onto the track either...

I might head out there on Thursday this week.

mtbr member
    Rode there this morning. Usually can't during the week in the shorter daylight hours months but I'll let you know if I get a chance. Only five minutes from home.

Would be good if there was a more permanent crossing of the river. It was going strong this morning after yesterdays rain.

Trails getting slimy though. Went down a couple of times. New Nevengal tyres not very confidence inspiring and really clogged up.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jossa View Post
    Rode there this morning. Usually can't during the week in the shorter daylight hours months but I'll let you know if I get a chance. Only five minutes from home.
    Let me know, I'll join you if I can. Might have to bring out the lights again.

I have no idea on how to cross the river other than use the road - unless you've got a few tonnes of concrete blocks lying around looking for a good home. BTW any idea what they're doing at the old pipe bridge?

mtbr member
    where abouts is this trail?
    08 giant reign x1
    09 mongoose tyax elite
    09 avanti derelikt

fan of maple syrup
    Quote Originally Posted by TyranT View Post
    where abouts is this trail?
    More like a network of trails that we string together into a loop (or figure 8 actually, if the river is crossable). No definitive, easy to follow line as such. Pretty hard to explain - best just to try and meet one of us out there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by nuclear_powered View Post
    No definitive, easy to follow line as such.
    And deliberately vague at intersections to keep the motos at bay.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Random pic from yesterday - detour around the collapsed drainage gully near Janefield.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone up for riding out at Plenty Gorge?-img_0098-large-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    The forecast looks nice so am heading out there tomorrow afternoon (Tuesday) if anyone is interested.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Hey cowpat, what's the condition of the trails at the moment? That pic make it look pretty wet.

I rode Smiths Gully with Hud today and it was the greasiest I've ever seen it there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Trails on the south side of the river are in good shape - just wish there were more.

The singletrack is pretty much unaffected - some wet spots on the trail heading in from Kariboo and a bit damp in two other spots - one of them being where that pic was taken.

The main 4wd track heading through is a bit slimy with green algae - but there's really no reason to be riding it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Some pics from the south of the river. I don't know how long the loop is - pretty short maybe 6 km or a little more - but ok for a local ride.

Entry from Kariboo:

Over the other side of the pipeline easement:

Young 'uns have built little rollover jumps:

Heading west:

Nice trail:

Fun techy trail:

A little rocky in spots:

Tricky right turn around the tree and then down:

Getting a bit overgrown:

Heading west towards Janefield:

Heading back:

Dodgy rivulet crossing, but it's still holding out:

More little jumps on the return journey:

Young 'uns have built a little trail with some nice whoops:

Last straight run on the way back before the pipeline easement:

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Looks good! You'll have to take mearound there sometime Casper.
    The twenty-nine inch wheel.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Anytime I'm free, if you're doing your last delivery around this way one day you can bring your bike on the truck?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Hey Casper are you up for a ride out there on Saturday? That is if the weather holds...

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I would be but won't be around until late arvo tomorrow - 4 or 4:30 or so - or even later. Just a thought - do you think Freida would be up to it by now?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I haven't been riding with Frida yet, been really busy unfortunately. I might try her Saturday Morning.

I'd be up for later on Saturday, I guess we'll need our lights.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Cool - I'll text you when I know when I'll be home. It's a short ride but better take lights just in case.

Took the gps last time. Southside loop is only 5 km, plus 2 km each way from Kariboo to get to it. Have to look harder for a way to cross the river. There used to be 6 crossing points - have to check them all out one day. I do have an idea - but it's a bit out there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Hello!

My name is Emerson and I live in Plenty River Drive, Greensborough. I love to ride the longer, more obscure trails in the Gorge, starting from Kariboo Grove just across the river from home.
    I am usually there most weekends, and hopefully I will be able to get there tomorrow, most likely about midday, if not a bit after.
    I don't know the trails on the north side very well, but I am keen to learn more. I reckon I've got a pretty good handle on the southern side though, and I am happy to ride with anyone else who wants to go for a spin in the area, or to work with anyone who wants to help maintain or improve the trails (discreetly, of course!).
    Cheers - see you out there!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I'll show you the trails on the north side one day. They're a bit longer and a little steeper on that side. I tend to be busy on the weekends is the only thing, but if I'm free on an arvo one weekend I'll let you know.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Didn't get out at all yesterday, so extra keen for today. Will be heading out about 11 or 11.30, starting from Kariboo.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Could anyone help me out and draw a rough line maybe a screen shot from google earth of which trails + direction you take entering from Kariboo? Thanks guys

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Plenty Gorge

Hi there,

My name's Emerson - and I've pretty much had enough of trying to get mtbr to load....

I am happy to show you the trails in person, but I can't manage to make this site work adequately to upload any maps or pics.

Email me directly at:
    emerthis at gmail.com

Also, cowpat is the main man as trail-guide - it's his turf, as far as I'm concerned - but provided that we respect the bush and stay on the trails, I think we should do OK.

Cheers

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast