Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Scott is a tool.
    So, didn't find the new switchbacks, but did find the new river crossing.

Really, really love the south loop out there. Just a whole lot of fun.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by waldog View Post
    So, didn't find the new switchbacks, but did find the new river crossing.

Really, really love the south loop out there. Just a whole lot of fun.

The switchbacks have been there a while now, but I've nothing to do with them. There's some other stuff out there too. Some is good, and some needs a bit of rerouting and rationalisation.

So, the spurline track, was it too steep to actually be considered "fun"? I consider it a middle ring challenge but it's one tough pitch...

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    The spur is good fun on the way down, and I have almost ridden the whole way up it as well. Thanks to some of the bigger obstacles having been removed, it's quite doable - challenging, yes. Fun? Well... The biggest issue I see is the ravine at the bottom of it. I reckon the sides of that will get chopped up pretty quickly, and we should look for an angle to switch-back it. It serves its purpose very well though: a quick route to the east/north loops. Coming straight down the ridgeline probably isn't the best long-term solution, for erosion and degradation, but in the absence of any other workers taking it on I can only congratulate you on the job well done, Cowpat!

Scott is a tool.
    I agree with Emerson, the spur is much more fun on the way down, but I will admit that we didn't even attempt the climb today. Will next time though.

Scott is a tool.
    Oh, and as always, top work cowpat.

fan of maple syrup
    Quote Originally Posted by cowpat View Post
    So, the spurline track, was it too steep to actually be considered "fun"? I consider it a middle ring challenge but it's one tough pitch...
    As we pushed our bikes up the conversation went like this:
    B: "Casper probably rides up this."
    G: "In the big ring"
    B: "Nah on his singlespeed"
    G: "With brake rub"

It should come as no surprise that I vote for an easier climb option, but leave the spur track for the trip back.

Otherwise its so awesome and fun out there now. Can't wait to do a north south loop. It'll getchya fit in no time doing that regularly.

We also wondered about another bridge, like the first, to cross that creek wash before the climb? Happy to help carry and construct if the source of the first plank can provide another.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by nuclear_powered View Post
    ...a north south loop. It'll getchya fit in no time doing that regularly.
    With the original north loop plus a selection of new segments unknowingly "donated" by others...yes it'll be a killer on the legs...that's always been the plan...

Thanks for the feedback, I do agree.

See you all in a month or so.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Hi guys,

Wow, am I glad I found this forum! I always thought this site was just for the Yankees!

I live in Eltham, and went for my first proper mountain bike ride from Kariboo nearly 10 years ago, so I have very fond memories of the path to Blue Lake!

Have only been in there once or twice in the last year, but reading about these paths I will definitley have to step things up! I usually ride the same route as I have been on a time budget - from Kariboo in virtually a straight line through the paddock past the little ruin and then down the techy decent to the river, get my feet wet cause there is no bridge and I walk through, up the ravine, attempt to ride up the spur, then on to the goat track and to Blue lake, then I usually just turn around and do it in reverse!

Last time I went there I rode along the Diamond Creek trail to the Main Yarra Trail, then along the MYT to Plenty River Trail, then followed that to Kariboo, went to Blue lake then home along the roads.

Have seen faint signs of other tracks but not had time to explore them, I'd love to come for a ride with Emerson or Cowpat and be shown what the place really has to offer! Not the fittest bloke, but keen to get the fitness back up!

Pete

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pfullarton View Post
    Hi guys,

Wow, am I glad I found this forum! I always thought this site was just for the Yankees!

I live in Eltham, and went for my first proper mountain bike ride from Kariboo nearly 10 years ago, so I have very fond memories of the path to Blue Lake!

Have only been in there once or twice in the last year, but reading about these paths I will definitley have to step things up! I usually ride the same route as I have been on a time budget - from Kariboo in virtually a straight line through the paddock past the little ruin and then down the techy decent to the river, get my feet wet cause there is no bridge and I walk through, up the ravine, attempt to ride up the spur, then on to the goat track and to Blue lake, then I usually just turn around and do it in reverse!

Last time I went there I rode along the Diamond Creek trail to the Main Yarra Trail, then along the MYT to Plenty River Trail, then followed that to Kariboo, went to Blue lake then home along the roads.

Have seen faint signs of other tracks but not had time to explore them, I'd love to come for a ride with Emerson or Cowpat and be shown what the place really has to offer! Not the fittest bloke, but keen to get the fitness back up!

Pete
    PM sent

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Hi guys,

(snipped)

Pete
    Mate, that sure is the long way to get here! Sometimes I do a similar loop to go and ride the trails along the Yarra, but from Eltham to Greensy I almost always end up coming back along Sherbourne, Karingal & St Helena Roads, rejoining the Plenty trail under the bridge at Main St, for a nice flat cruise home.

There are some trails in the Gorge, and of course I would love to show you around. I often ride there, but since the end of daylight savings, it's restricted to weekends.

Sounds to me like your fitness is fine - for me, anyway! Let me know when you're keen.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Had a blast over there this morning with Simon & Pete. It was a bit muddy, and a bit slippery, and it took me a whole hour to get my eye in (by which time Pete had left).
    Figured out a decent loop for next weekend's group ride - just hope the trails dry out a bit before then!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    After watching this thread from a distance for a while now, snuck out there this arvo. What a cool little jewel you guys have out there! Only spent an hour rolling around in circles, but good fun tight single track, looks to hold up well with the rock substrate.

The best part its only 25mins drive from home..

quiggs

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by quiggs1974 View Post
    After watching this thread from a distance for a while now, snuck out there this arvo. What a cool little jewel you guys have out there! Only spent an hour rolling around in circles, but good fun tight single track, looks to hold up well with the rock substrate.

The best part its only 25mins drive from home..

quiggs
    No, the best part is it's only 3 minutes ride from home.

But it is pretty great =)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by emerthis View Post
    No, the best part is it's only 3 minutes ride from home.

But it is pretty great =)
    At my back door
    Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon - Specialized Demo 8 II
    YKYMF - YouTube Channel - AM/DH Vids

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    piss off

mtbr member
    Rode both South and North a couple of times this week; once on Tuesday but was too wet on some sections, and once again today and the conditions were fantastic. Traction is awesome and the vague sections are starting to bed in.

Bit of a group ride starting to form for this Saturday (Emerson) if anyone is keen. Weather looks ok.

Scott is a tool.
    Quote Originally Posted by jossa View Post
    Rode both South and North a couple of times this week; once on Tuesday but was too wet on some sections, and once again today and the conditions were fantastic. Traction is awesome and the vague sections are starting to bed in.

Bit of a group ride starting to form for this Saturday (Emerson) if anyone is keen. Weather looks ok.
    I'm still in, on the condition that I can shake the "Black Lung" that has been troubling me this week.

Keen as mustard though, even if i'll be coughing up the plague for the whole ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I might make an appearance and tag along at the back of the mob! What time?

mtbr member
    I might make an appearance and tag along at the back of the mob! What time?
    10:30 @ Kariboo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by waldog View Post
    I'm still in, on the condition that I can shake the "Black Lung" that has been troubling me this week.

Keen as mustard though, even if i'll be coughing up the plague for the whole ride.
    Best way of getting rid of it is a ride on the bike, I say!*

* I'm not a doctor.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thanks Jossa, won't know for certain until tomorrow, if I'm not there don't wait for me.

Scott is a tool.
    Quote Originally Posted by jossa View Post
    Best way of getting rid of it is a ride on the bike, I say!*

* I'm not a doctor.
    I am a medical professional, and I believe your treatment plan is sound.

See you tomorrow.

Scott is a tool.
    Hud, are you there?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Weather looks shite but I will be out there if anyone's still coming. Brrr!!!

Scott is a tool.
    I'm still coming.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast