Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Was on the south side this afternoon. The tracks are looking good.

Here are a few vids of the terrain. The first was in September and the second was only last week.

I ride a bit of everything, from straight up trail riding to small jumps and DH. The Gorge offers some good variety.

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon - Specialized Demo 8 II
    YKYMF - YouTube Channel - AM/DH Vids

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    That's some very nice footage there! I was over there yesterday morning, doing the long XC loop with a couple of others. The trails are in good nick on the south side - just a shame about the rubbish blowing in from the new housing developments, and someone's dumped a trailer-full of crap as well.

mtbr member
    Spent a couple of hours riding this evening. Quick loop of the south side before going right around to the north (river not crossable yet)

Someone has been busy with a spray can marking a trail on the north side.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone up for riding out at Plenty Gorge?-2012-01-10-19.33.27-2-.jpg  

Anyone up for riding out at Plenty Gorge?-2012-01-10-19.35.20-2-.jpg  

Anyone up for riding out at Plenty Gorge?-2012-01-10-19.38.05-2-.jpg  

Anyone up for riding out at Plenty Gorge?-2012-01-10-19.42.57-2-.jpg  

Anyone up for riding out at Plenty Gorge?-2012-01-10-19.39.54-2-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Arrrrrrrr..... The old North side. Haven't seen that side in ages. I think I better head there after work in the next few days. :P

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Subtle...

Is that the trail that heads along the cliff top up to the Blue Lake carpark? That is, the oldest singletrack I have found there which is still heavily used and requires no marking whatsoever?

I went for a group ride at Westerfolds yesterday after work - the fit buggers nearly killed me, after my two weeks of excess and no riding. I will have to get out over here soon, to see what's been happening.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jossa View Post
    Someone has been busy with a spray can marking a trail on the north side.
    And painting arrows on the south side too, but someone seems to have come along and rubbed them off.

Two of the three little crossings on the southside loop that were washed away are rideable again, btw.

It's amazing how much erosion a few hours of hail and rain brought about, and just what has been washed down what are again tiny little streams:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone up for riding out at Plenty Gorge?-img_0088-large-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Gees, that one isn't going to last much longer is it? Theer are some nice slabs of concrete there we could use for the smaller crossings though!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by emerthis View Post
    Subtle...

Is that the trail that heads along the cliff top up to the Blue Lake carpark? That is, the oldest singletrack I have found there which is still heavily used and requires no marking whatsoever.
    Yes and these are not all the markings. Plenty more I didn't take photos of.

Snapper

I like it

Hi,

I havent ridden there for over 5 years and really enjoyed it. I rode on Saturday from 4.30 to 7pm and saw one other cyclist. I rode just on the south side as I didnt want my shoes wet.
    Rode all the usual downhills (trails with jumps that come from the very top. Found a big arsed jumps track with built up doubles (too big for me). I also found the very tight single track that runs along the edge of the gourge and then figure 8s it and returns. Great trail and technical enough to keep me on my toes. Had one over the bars as there are so many rocks hidden in the grass - no damage done. I tried to cross at the old stop (bottom of the rutted out fireroad) but the exit looked really step and over grown. Can you cross over at the stop at the end of the single track where there is the washout road? Photo in the previous posts. Keen to head over to the Northern side to try the old jumps into the small quarry / pit above Blue Lake.
    Well done to the trail crew for maintaning the trails and grooming new ones. The big jumps dont interest me as much as the XC loops and I enjoyed them. Nice to have a close option other than Hanns Loop.
    Cheers
    JD

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by johnd663 View Post
    Hi,

I havent ridden there for over 5 years and really enjoyed it. I rode on Saturday from 4.30 to 7pm and saw one other cyclist. I rode just on the south side as I didnt want my shoes wet.
    Rode all the usual downhills (trails with jumps that come from the very top. Found a big arsed jumps track with built up doubles (too big for me). I also found the very tight single track that runs along the edge of the gourge and then figure 8s it and returns. Great trail and technical enough to keep me on my toes. Had one over the bars as there are so many rocks hidden in the grass - no damage done. I tried to cross at the old stop (bottom of the rutted out fireroad) but the exit looked really step and over grown. Can you cross over at the stop at the end of the single track where there is the washout road? Photo in the previous posts. Keen to head over to the Northern side to try the old jumps into the small quarry / pit above Blue Lake.
    Well done to the trail crew for maintaning the trails and grooming new ones. The big jumps dont interest me as much as the XC loops and I enjoyed them. Nice to have a close option other than Hanns Loop.
    Cheers
    JD
    Hi JD,

If you ride a Ventana it was me you bumped into. Sorry about the vague directions, I would have loved to show you around but, as you saw, I had the kids with me!

Yell out next time you're around and I'll be happy to meet up.

Snapper
    Quote Originally Posted by jossa View Post
    Hi JD,

If you ride a Ventana it was me you bumped into. Sorry about the vague directions, I would have loved to show you around but, as you saw, I had the kids with me!

Yell out next time you're around and I'll be happy to meet up.
    Yeap that was me, you directions were fine Jossa - I found heaps.

Many thanks
    John

mtbr member
    A few shots from Plenty Gorge.

Beautiful evening for a ride. I love March and April in Melbourne. Nice clear days and still cool evenings. Can ride until nearly 8 without lights also during March. (Footy starts too)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone up for riding out at Plenty Gorge?-2012-03-28-17.58.52.jpg  

Anyone up for riding out at Plenty Gorge?-2012-03-28-18.02.02.jpg  

Anyone up for riding out at Plenty Gorge?-2012-03-28-18.07.06.jpg  

Anyone up for riding out at Plenty Gorge?-2012-03-28-18.07.30.jpg  

Anyone up for riding out at Plenty Gorge?-2012-03-28-18.42.08.jpg  

Anyone up for riding out at Plenty Gorge?-2012-03-28-18.46.56.jpg  

Anyone up for riding out at Plenty Gorge?-2012-03-28-19.07.21.jpg  

Anyone up for riding out at Plenty Gorge?-2012-03-28-19.09.18.jpg  

mtbr member
    ^^Pretty cool^^

Looks like an interesting place to ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Glad to see some new work since I went overseas on honeymoon. Looking forward to being able to link north & south together without waiting for the river to drop to drought levels. Sorry I haven't been around to help out - been busy with the whole getting married caper. Should have more time to help with trail work on weekends now though.
    Kudos to cowpat, I think...

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Rode both sides yesterday. Had forgotten just how much singletrack there is on the other side - although some of it is barely visible, and I had to backtrack a couple of times to make sure I was heading in the right direction.
    I really think it's the sort of area that would make a brilliant MTB park - but I know cowpat has been down that road in the past.
    Great riding, had a lovely couple of hours on the bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Never new about this little gem, may have to make my way over there and give it a ride some time.

mtbr member
    Rode both sides yesterday. Had forgotten just how much singletrack there is on the other side - although some of it is barely visible, and I had to backtrack a couple of times to make sure I was heading in the right direction.
    I really think it's the sort of area that would make a brilliant MTB park - but I know cowpat has been down that road in the past.
    Great riding, had a lovely couple of hours on the bike.
    Is there a decent place to cross the river anymore? I don't know how many times I've tried to rebuild the crossing near the steep gully bank, only for it piss with rain and dissapear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Yippee_Ki_YayMF View Post
    Is there a decent place to cross the river anymore? I don't know how many times I've tried to rebuild the crossing near the steep gully bank, only for it piss with rain and dissapear.
    Maaaybeee.... It's a bloody steep climb up out of the river, but there is another way. Cowpat?

mtbr member
    Cowpat?

fan of maple syrup
    Yup. Cowpat.

It will either make sense in the next few days, or it'll be a month or so after that.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    There's a crossing just off the south loop (or figure eight). It's passable when the river height at Greensborough is less than 0.5 m: River Height data for Plenty R at Greensborough

If you ride the south loop (or figure eight) clockwise then there's a little Y junction near the easternmost end which leads to it. Just before you head uphill to a difficult sharp right turn between some trees and rocks which starts to head back west there is a Y junction. You head right to go uphill. Try going left...

After the crossing there's a small gully and then it's a steep climb up the spurline to join the north loop. The north loop will take you to cliff track etc. and is currently rideable but you really have to know where it is to follow it...only about half of it sees regular use.

fan of maple syrup
    Might head out there on Sunday at this stage .. see if I can find this mystical bridge

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    The bridge is easy enough to find - but as it's not my baby I thought I'd best leave it to cowpat to tell all about it. The trail isn't easy to find unless you know where to look - I may well head over for a spin today, as it's been a few weeks since I rode it, and with all the rain, the bush will be reclaiming some of the less-used trails again.
    I've been trying to put together a loop which includes most of the north side, but my knowledge of those trails isn't yet quite up to scratch - so I'll keep riding there once every coupe of weeks until I get it figured out.
    Tomorrow there will be a group ride (of mixed abilities) at Smiths Gully, meeting at the shop about 10am - and as I am guiding on that one, I won't be doing the Gorge tomorrow. If you'd like to join me on either ride, call or text me on 0412 715 053.
    Cheers,
    Emerson

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Rode the Gorge yesterday. The bridge is getting a bit of use already. I ran into two young guys exploring the north side - they said they had no idea all those trails were there. Then there were some walkers just near the bridge as I was coming back down the spur. They watched in amazement as I rode right to the edge of the ravine, and they had a friendly chat with me, asking about what trails were around that might be good for walking.
    I only just found the link trail between the top of the spur to the new switchbacks, on my way back home - well done, that man!
    It was a great day for riding yesterday. Hopefully today will be similar for the group at Smiths Gully!

fan of maple syrup
    I only just found the link trail between the top of the spur to the new switchbacks, on my way back home - well done, that man!
    Heading out there this arv. Will see if I can find this.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast